Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Aldrovanda vesiculosa

Aldrovanda vesiculosa Everything about the Water Wheel Plant

Old 8th October 2008, 10:08 PM
Advisor

Default Re: Aldrovanda in Indonesia

Hey Arvin, water lettuce (Pistia stratiotes) is actually in the fern allies group, along with Azola and Salvinea which reproduce so rapidly that they are illegal in several states here in the USA, considered as aggressive invasive exotics.

Some people use water hyacinth (Eichhornia), which are also illegal in some states for the same reason, are monocots, but their roots go directly downward, and don't get directly under the Aldrovanda strands where they can release the CO2 directly onto them.

Even decorative grasses can be used as companion plants for Aldrovanda and their roots will spread out from the bottom of their pots and get under the strands, and quickly absorb and assimilate the excess nitrogenous matter released by the captured prey. Leaf litter can also help control algae and is a food source for some zooplankton. - Rich
Old 9th October 2008, 02:20 AM

Rich,

Thanks very much for your reply, but sorry I didn't quite absorb it all. Noted about invasive species warning though, but yes they are found locally (I think native).

Water lettuce is it a monocote?
Hyacinth monocote?

The problem you mentioned is that their roots might not go directly with Aldos, but if they can be quite near to Aldros they can give some benefit? (Again sorry to be a bit thick tonight).

TTFN
Arvin
Old 9th October 2008, 06:11 AM
Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvin555 View Post
Rich,

Water lettuce is it a monocot?
Hyacinth monocot?
TTFN
Arvin
Arvin, Not to worry.

Water lettuce is it a monocot? - No, it's a fern.
Hyacinth monocot? - Yes, but their roots are not close enough to the Aldrovanda, and they compete with them for sunlight and surface area.

Java Moss is a rootless moss, and competes with Aldrovanda for the available CO2. It is great for breeding fish, but not so much for Aldrovanda. - Rich
Old 9th October 2008, 11:26 PM

Thanks for the reply, oh man I guess I need to do some more research and go to the garden shop to find me some water loving monocotes. I posted somewhere before that Rice is one, and lilies are too, lillies are possible but rice, not practical. You mentioned decorative grass, but I am not sure what they are and how they look like, we'll try to research.

Meantime need to figure out how to reduce the number of javamoss in our pond

TTFN
Arvin
Old 1st November 2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsivertsen View Post
Hey Arvin, water lettuce (Pistia stratiotes) is actually in the fern allies group, along with Azola and Salvinea which reproduce so rapidly that they are illegal in several states here in the USA, considered as aggressive invasive exotics.
Just to correct a common misconception - Pistia is a member of the aroid (Araceae) family. This group of plants have very diverse forms which include caladiums, Zamioculcas (the feng shui plant frm Zanzibar, lol), the devil's ivy, and arum lilies. Pistia produce rather small flowers that has a spathe and spadix (the di*ck in a sheath flower type). It is a monocot. Duckweed (lemmna) and watermeal (wolffia) are other examples of aquatic aroids.
Old 2nd November 2008, 12:33 AM

Hey you are right Poweramps, I found this website that confirms that they are in fact monocots!

http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/node/328

I wonder rsivertsen if this means that water Lettuces can be a good companion for Aldros?

TTFN
Arvin
Old 2nd November 2008, 03:13 AM
Advisor

They, and water Hyacinths, also monocots, both compete for surface area with Aldrovanda, and prevent them from getting sunlight, also their roots don't always get directly under the Aldrovanda.

The best companion plants are those that are rooted in the shallow detritus layer, and have their roots spread out just a few inches under the Aldrovanda strands, or even better yet, commingled with them, and have long leaves and stems that rise well above the surface to allow full direct sunlight to get to the strands. - Rich
Old 2nd November 2008, 01:53 PM

Thanks Rich, so I guess grass type water plants then.

TTFN
Arvin