PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Aldrovanda vesiculosa

Aldrovanda vesiculosa Everything about the Water Wheel Plant

Old 13th June 2009, 07:13 PM

Default Re: Aldro propagation

So Aldros need lots of CO2 la.
Old 14th June 2009, 12:18 AM

Let me confuse you a bit more, it's been a month since I last injected CO2 into my pond, and there is not much difference! I do think that CO2 injection helps promote faster growth on most aquatic plants, not just Aldros. If your Aldros are not yet established I think it will not hurt to inject some CO2.

TTFN
Arvin
Old 15th August 2009, 06:41 PM

Marvin, in aquarium CO2 is a knife good and bad !
If you use too much alga will grow a lot and kill the plants.
If you use too low it won't effect to the plants.

Also light are imfortant too !
Old 15th August 2009, 10:17 PM
Advisor

The problem with injecting CO2 into an artificial container or an aquarium is that it out-gasses very quickly, especially in warm water, which Aldrovanda prefers, like some opened carbonated beverage going flat in a few hours in a hot summer day. The best thing is to have the Aldrovanda growing closely with the roots of companion plants where those roots emit a constant source of CO2 from respiration, and absorb the excess nutrients that the Aldrovanda gives off. They also need to feed, and a healthy population of zooplankton is essential for Aldrovanda to thrive; small snails also need to be factored in as they will pull out the spent prey from the older traps before they get loaded with algae. - Rich
Old 16th August 2009, 01:22 AM

I of course have to agree with Rich... after all I took all his advice and am happy with my plants now. One big advantage of keeping the mentioned companion plants is that you don't have to deal with CO2 tanks, maintenance, cost, etc.

Oh, I added Pennyworts (Centella asiatica) in the pond, not sure if they are Monocotes or not, I hope they are. But the main monocote companion plants are the horsetail and the cattails in pots.
Old 5th October 2011, 02:00 PM

Default Aldro propag

Ive had great success propagating with flower stalks. Nearly every piece of stalk Ive ever tried has hit. I keep it in my terrarium under very bright light on a 16 hour photoperiod and I just stick it in peat moss in the same way it was growing out of the plant flower end up. If Im planning on using the stalk to propagate, I snip the it when its about an inch or two. I usually only do one piece per stalk, but I have done two or three pieces when the stalk gets longer than Ive intended and those pieces have struck as well, but they take longer.
Old 1st March 2012, 11:51 PM

Default Aldro propagation

It is well known that proper rooting presents the greatest problem in vegetative propagation of Jatropha plants. Why is only propagation by stem cutting alone practiced among all horticultural practices? Are there any other methods that could prove effective? How could rooting be improved? Can science come to the rescue?