Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd July 2008, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Default lisham: Lishams' Drosera (Read 1,208 times)

lisham

Lishams' Drosera
« Thread Started on 10 Aug, 2007, 19:31 »Just wanna share with you guys and gals pics of my drosera.

26 October 2007

D. burmannii

Not as pretty as other forumers here but the ones from Ts arrived after more than a week in the post and from Tarence was just a baby... Cute cute lil fella.

Here are the pix...

From Tarence
This image is reduced by 13%, click it to view full size.

From Ts

D. spatulata (from Tarence)

D. adelaea (from Tarence)

D. Indica (from Lim)

D. paradoxa (from Lim)
« Last Edit: 26 Oct, 2007, 10:01 by lisham »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

Re: Lishams' Drosera
« Reply #1 on 10 Aug, 2007, 23:50 »My ****es are growing up......nice to know they are being well taken care of ! heheh....last time you had doubts CPs like sundews could be grown in hot Langkawi.......well, you are growing them despite the hot dry weather ! *smile*
btw, any other collectors in Langkawi ?
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlisham

« Reply #2 on 11 Aug, 2007, 0:01 »No, I think I'm the only one who have drosera here... Neps and sarras I think got la... I went to the shop that sells those 2 sarras... The tall one sold out d. The s. purpurea hybrid left is not looking good. No, it looks bad... Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlisham

« Reply #3 on 11 Aug, 2007, 16:53 »UPDATE: Tell me it's not flowering already!

Is it true that d. indica dies after flowering and I have to start all over again from seeds (assuming the flower produce seeds)?

Should I...
a. Snip snip.
b. Let it flower and collect the seeds
c. Do nothing until the flower buds grow bigger then snip snip
« Last Edit: 11 Aug, 2007, 16:54 by lisham »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedcindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on 11 Aug, 2007, 18:03 »Lisham, it is true that D. indica dies after flowering.

a. asap, if you don't want seeds
b. yes, you should
c. nope, if you don't want seeds you should not allow the flower stalk to grow any longer or the plant will become weak.

« Reply #5 on 11 Aug, 2007, 19:37 »
Quote: Lisham, it is true that D. indica dies after flowering.

a. asap, if you don't want seeds
b. yes, you should
c. nope, if you don't want seeds you should not allow the flower stalk to grow any longer or the plant will become weak.

Thanks Cindy.

Is that really flower buds?

But I just got it through post and repotted it less than a week before... How could this possible?
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedcindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on 11 Aug, 2007, 20:59 »D. indica flowers quite young from what I observed. Your plant actually looks pretty mature to me. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlisham

« Reply #7 on 11 Aug, 2007, 21:05 »Ok... Thanks again Cindy... I'm going to do a flowersectomy later... Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on 14 Aug, 2007, 13:10 »If it was mine Lisham, i`ll let it flower & collect the seeds.....Think of all the plantlets you`ll have very very soon ! Mine is about the same size. I got another which is a lil` smaller.... Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedartificialive
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on 14 Aug, 2007, 13:15 »So.. it self-pollinates?
I checked my indica but it havent shown any symptoms to flower yet. So when it decides to flower, i think ill just let it and collect the seeds.
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on 14 Aug, 2007, 13:39 »mine also got no flower buds yet but well, i can wait & just enjoy the plant as it grows. seems to quite good at catching insects, almost as good as the d.filiformis....i haven`t seen it do its phython `twirling` trick yet tho. Heheh. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlisham

« Reply #11 on 14 Aug, 2007, 13:50 »erk? I already did a flowersectomy liao... What to do? Aiya....

Anyway... I dont think I'm up to growing things from seed. (just to make myself feel better)

Consolation prize- My, i mean the one that I got from tarance d. spatulata is sprouting ****es from the middle of its' old leaves.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedartificialive

« Reply #12 on 14 Aug, 2007, 14:37 »Wah, congrats lisham! My spatulata still remains the same as it is, shooting flower stalks happily. heheh. Wish i could see baby spatulata emerging from the old leaves like yours Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on 15 Aug, 2007, 8:31 »Lisham : do a close up pic of the spatulata babes plse...i have never noticed mine growing from the leaves....i have noticed plantlets around the mother plant but always assumed it was bcoz of seeds dropped from the other spatulatas` around it, never thinking it was via leaf. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlisham

« Reply #14 on 15 Aug, 2007, 15:44 »Tq Tq artificialive...

Tarence... about the pix... Now not possible yet... wait till they're bigger ok?

I feel like brangelina already... Who wants to bid for my d. spatulata ****es pix. I dont think we shud call them ****es as no "sex" as in what plants do to get ****es, involved- we call it clones rite?) Kidding onli...

Patience ya tarence? You're a grand dad oledi.

Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on 15 Aug, 2007, 17:41 »Lisham, i`ve been a grandad many times over. heheh......Patience - Beyonce`. Can do. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlisham

« Reply #16 on 16 Aug, 2007, 11:36 »
Quote: Lisham, i`ve been a grandad many times over. heheh......Patience - Beyonce`. Can do.

ok ok... if like that... we'll affectionately call u... tarence the supergran
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #17 on 16 Aug, 2007, 12:43 »haa, haaa, grandpa Tarence! Sounds good to me. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlisttarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on 16 Aug, 2007, 13:46 »wei David...i was hoping for you to come to my defence ! isk2......now it`s supergran ? hahaha...you guys ! Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlisham

« Reply #19 on 16 Aug, 2007, 22:53 »ekekeke... no defense ek? it's ok... supergran! Link to Post - Back to Top Logged
David
Administrator

« Reply #20 on 17 Aug, 2007, 9:07 »Ok lah, supergran it shall be. But granpa Tarence sound nicer laa... haa, haa... Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlisttarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on 17 Aug, 2007, 9:51 »if i ever see you Lisham, i`ll hit you on the head with my tongkat.

David, you watch out tonite at pizza hut tmn tun....

*smile*

btw, i want new droseras !!!! can`t wait for my seeds to germinate...it`s only been 10 days so far....

fyi, from the 25 varieties Lau bought , only 2 types germinated. but his conditions and humidity levels may not have been conducive. he`s also included some temperate seeds which may have needed stratification or cooler or diff conditions to sprout.

« Reply #22 on 17 Aug, 2007, 14:07 »
Quote: if i ever see you Lisham, i`ll hit you on the head with my tongkat.

David, you watch out tonite at pizza hut tmn tun....

*smile*

btw, i want new droseras !!!! can`t wait for my seeds to germinate...it`s only been 10 days so far....

fyi, from the 25 varieties Lau bought , only 2 types germinated. but his conditions and humidity levels may not have been conducive. he`s also included some temperate seeds which may have needed stratification or cooler or diff conditions to sprout.

Eeek.. ala... please dont hurt me with ur tongkat/run me over with your wheelchair ler babe...

FYI... you're the handsomest granpa I've ever seen... what's ur secret? U come to langkawi I'll treat u balitong and steamboat... Ok?

Wah... pizza? tonight? drool.
Administrator

« Reply #23 on 17 Aug, 2007, 22:47 »Eh, what about the rest of us Lisham? No balitong and steamboat for us when we go to Langkawi?

By the way, Tarence did tried to hit me with his tongkat tonight. But to me delight every time he lift his tongkat up to hit me he went out ballance and had to use his tongkat again. Poor old grandpa Tarence... oh it's supergran.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistlisham

« Reply #24 on 17 Aug, 2007, 23:25 »Steamboat and balitong? Got... got david.... of course... bring spare plants for me ok? Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlisham

« Reply #25 on 19 Aug, 2007, 14:05 »Fyi... I took a cutting from both d. adelaea and d. spatulata a month ago... D. adelaea cutting is sprout ****es... I think 3 ****es are now visible and looks like plantlets and more bumps (not sure if these are plantlets or not). The d. spatulata leaf cutting is still green after a month but not sign of growth yet...

I got a question... Two actually....

1. Anybody here ever tried "leaf cutting in water propagation" for drosera? Namely D. adelaea and d. spatulata?

2. If so... How do you treat the cuttings when it sprouts? When is the best time/size to start planting the plantlets out?

I just snip the leaves and put them in those jelly containers with cover half filled with rested tap water and put these in a bright spot (no direct sunlight).

« Reply #26 on 19 Aug, 2007, 14:34 »Hi Lisham,
I had propagated D. Adelae but not from the water method. U can see it here
I cant remember exactly how big the adelae ****es when i transplant it, but i think they were very little at that time, about 1 cm in height. Transplanting them each by cutting the mother leaf is a bit tricky. Use VERY sharp scissors/ blades. Sometimes u cant get exactly one baby per cutting because they are very small. Maybe 2-3 ****es per cutting.
The second time i tried to propagate it thru leaf cutting is by cutting them into smaller pieces before sowing them. It is easier to isolate the ****es when they sprout
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]lisham

« Reply #27 on 19 Aug, 2007, 14:43 »Hey artificialive...

Thanks for the info... This is my first try propagating drosera... Just got them like 2 months ago me think... was going through cpuk site methinks wehn I come across this articile saying that's it's possible to propagate drosera through leaf cutting soaked in water... Just trying to get more plants of the same species... It worked...

I think the first visible plantlet is just 3 mm tall but they're growing fast... cos last week I checked it was only a slight bump on the leaf... I was not using the best of leaf to start with... The one i used was bitten by grasshopper me think, got a bite mark right in the middle of the leaf....

« Reply #28 on 19 Aug, 2007, 14:54 »Congrats for ur first batch of adelae ****es! hehe
I was excited and amazed to see them sprout from the leaves for the first time
A lot of growers propagate droseras and even VFT using the water method, but personally i dont (anyway, i havent tried). This is mainly becos, in my opinion, it will be a bit harder for the ****es to acclimatize with its new surroundings when we transplant them (100% humidity down to around 80% humidity). Dont want alot of casualties tho

Anyway, do report your progress Lisham, would like to know more about water propagation!
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]lisham

« Reply #29 on 19 Aug, 2007, 16:59 »Thanks man... wokay... will do... I'll report more as I go through. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlisham

« Reply #30 on 20 Aug, 2007, 8:14 »Ok... My d. indica is trying to "mate" again... Just checked the plant, it's putting out another set of flowers... I know we've been through this before... I'm going to keep the flowers this time...

So the questions are-

1. Is it possible for me to have the flower and the original plant?

2. If keeping the plant after flowering is not possible, how do I polinate the flower and how to deal with them, to make them produce viable seeds?

3. After flowering, how do I know if the flower is turning into seed pods, how long for the seed pods to mature and ready for seed collection and how to collect the seeds?

4. Assuming the flower resulted in seeds, how to germinate them?
Global Moderator

« Reply #31 on 20 Aug, 2007, 8:33 »Lisham : to the best of my memory, d.indica`s flowers will produce seeds so at least there`s some benefit from weakening the mother plant by letting it flower. But i think d.indica can also be propagated by leaf cutting ( i haven`t tried but will try soon, from experience it looks like it can be propagated easily via leaf cutting ) so you might want to let the plant get more robust & stronger before letting it flower. Meanwhile, you can try via cuttings.

Savage garden says that only d.regia and d.burmanii won`t propagate via leaf. So i guess the rest of the sundew varieties is possible.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedhongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #32 on 20 Aug, 2007, 10:44 »Lisham,

1. D. indica is a strict annual, meaning it'd die after flowering.

2. D. indica self-pollinates so you don't have to do anything, but to have a good seed set, you may want to protect the flowers from rain (if they're exposed). my experience is that flowers that open during rain = smaller seed pods.

3. the seed pods formed are green, they'd be mature when the individual pods turn black halfway. usually that's when i collect them and store the pods till they dry and turn black entirely, before splitting them to obtain the seeds. but if i'm mailing them out, i'd mail them out right after collection. they'd dry out while they're in envelopes.

4. simply sow them on your drosera potting mix, keep the pot on a water tray. leave the pot in a bright area, protected by rain and you should see baby D. indica in 2 weeks.

Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

My CP Growlist - updated 27 May '08
lisham

« Reply #33 on 21 Aug, 2007, 8:38 »Ok...

Thanks hongrui for the advice...

Now back to my lonely d. spatulata which is sprouting ****es in the middle of its' leaves...

The pix.... Enjoy.... (Can you see the ****es? They're somewhere on the leaves at the bottom of the pix)

My experiment trying to propagate d. adelaea leaf cutting in water... (it's alive... it's alive.... it's aaaaaaaliiiiivvveeee.... such a drama!)

And another shot of the lucky d. indica...

« Last Edit: 21 Aug, 2007, 8:56 by lisham »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #34 on 21 Aug, 2007, 9:04 »yeah i see it......mmmm.....haven`t noticed that in my plants before. either i`m not observant enuff or there are just too many spats in my garden or the leaves of my spats are not touching the medium....thx for letting me know Lisham....

btw, your collection is indeed growing.........and growing.....and.....

« Reply #35 on 21 Aug, 2007, 10:02 »
Quote: yeah i see it......mmmm.....haven`t noticed that in my plants before. either i`m not observant enuff or there are just too many spats in my garden or the leaves of my spats are not touching the medium....thx for letting me know Lisham....

btw, your collection is indeed growing.........and growing.....and.....

Yes, it's growing, growing and multiplying...

It's all your fault Tarence... You shouldn't have introduced me to the cute furry little insect eaters... Not that it's a bad thing to intro me to them any way.

Tried and tested... spats will sprout from it's leaves (cutting or otherwise...) if you let the leaves be in contact with moist spagmoss...

Tried and tested... D. adelaea will sprout in *tap water (boiled and cooled, left overnite).

The Method
Just pour 1-2" of water into those clear food container, snip a leaf or two, pick the most bestest leaves with less leftover insect(s) sticking to it... Remember the goo/dew doesn't feel like fun on fingertips... Use tweezers. Make sure you soak the leaves instead of just floating in the water.

Cover the container. Put somewhere bright. Forget about it for a while. If it's still green after a week, then it might work... If it turns brown... Congratulations... it's not working... If the water turns green... Change it...

Wokay Tarence... that information will cost you half a dozen of cp of your choice... Wait a minute... did u just said u got too many spats? you got my address....

Tarence... that is the joy of using tweezers and brow scisors to trim and pluck spag moss on your cp...

You tend to notice things... Let's just say our spat at my place is one very well groomed spat... ekekekeke....

Yeah... my collection is currently growing...

Now got neps department (being halted for a while, i learned from the best, that'll be tarence- now I realised my space constrain is getting more and more obvious, so now I'm concertrating on other depts), drosera dept, sara dept, ping dept. Like goverment establisment pulak...

p/s: I've become somewhat like a mad scientist armed with clear plastic food containers, tweezers and scisors already. Now am experimenting with d. indica and paradoxa...
« Last Edit: 21 Aug, 2007, 10:09 by lisham »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedartificialive

« Reply #36 on 21 Aug, 2007, 10:56 »Hi Lisham, how much sprout does the adelae leaf produces using the water propagation method? Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]lisham

« Reply #37 on 21 Aug, 2007, 11:01 »Yo artifialive...

I counted three... Three identifiable as plantlets... Still got bumps on the original cutting... More might be coming...
Global Moderator

« Reply #38 on 21 Aug, 2007, 12:49 »yeah Lisham, good work with them tweezers, i don`t see spag moss bits clinging for dear life everywhere now....heheh.
i know the methodology laa, just too lazy to try as my spat & adelae propagate quite au naturel i.e. roots, seeds so no need to try anything else...so far, i only use moist spag moss method, works fine so far.
happy propagating Lisham ! the insects population in Langkawi will dip drastically soon if your mad scientist ways continue.

« Reply #39 on 21 Aug, 2007, 12:56 »hehehe... Tarence... notice or not my d. indica and ping got lots of those smallish flying insects?

The trick is to go and buy some fresh fruits and just put it close to your death rack (the rack where u put your cp la)

It works... No smell, so no disease carrying flies... They attract fruit flies only... Better thansalted fish aka ikan masin.
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged
tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #40 on 22 Aug, 2007, 8:37 »i use salted fish to attract flies for my vft ...but last weekend used fish head instead & caught enuff to feed all my 32 vfts.....heheh, managed to feed even the small ones coz caught flies of all sizes. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlisham

« Reply #41 on 22 Aug, 2007, 9:11 »Hmmm... fish heads are better than salted fish... let's say the flies managed to feed on the salted fish... there will be traces of salt on them....

Tarence... I transplanted 2 of your "grandchildren", they were growing too close to the mother/father plant base... So before they grow bigger, harder to transplant, better do it now...

« Reply #42 on 22 Aug, 2007, 13:36 »A little update:

Earlier today, as I was sitting on my fav in my blanket on a chair at my balcony. As I was having my 2 c breakfast consisting of ciggies and coffee, I was looking at my D. indica...

I noticed how it's producing dew and how the tentacles glisten in the morning light... It's bright green leaves swaying in the morning breeze...

I looked at the flower buds and then... And then... I cut the flower buds off...

I'm not ready to let my d. indica die after flowering yet....
Administrator

« Reply #43 on 22 Aug, 2007, 14:09 »Lisham. your story end so abruptly and so violently. Kinda comical I would say Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistlisham

« Reply #44 on 22 Aug, 2007, 16:10 »that was intentional... Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlisham

« Reply #45 on 28 Aug, 2007, 21:21 »Update...

D. indica not looking good after second "flowersectomy" still putting out new flower buds.

D. indica sideway view

D. spatulata sideway view

D. spatulata sideway view showing ****es

D. adelaea baby (1 of 3) propagated from the leaf-cutting-in-water method potted up

« Reply #46 on 2 Sept, 2007, 20:04 »Update: D. spatulata cutting in water showing signs of sprouting...

Unlike D. adelaea, 1 cutting of D. spatulata= 1 baby. Anybody managed to get more than 1 d. spatulata from a single leaf?

So sacrifice 1 leaf of D. spatulata, u'll get 1 baby. sacrifice 1 leaf of D. adelaea, more than 1 ****es.
« Last Edit: 2 Sept, 2007, 20:07 by lisham »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #47 on 6 Sept, 2007, 18:17 »Ok folks, I've moved the disscussion on D. indica to a new thread entitled "D. indica cultivation. Lets discuss there. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistlisham

« Reply #48 on 18 Sept, 2007, 19:55 »Update:
Baby d. adelaea looking like some fat d. spatulata (leaf cutting in water method- replanted)

D. spatulata putting out some flower buds
Global Moderator

« Reply #49 on 19 Sept, 2007, 8:40 »yep, that`s how adelae looks when they are plantlets......*smile* thx for sharing Lisham. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlisham

« Reply #50 on 20 Sept, 2007, 2:57 »My pleasure... Anyway... Tarence... Since I got this d. spatulata from you.... What should I do with the flower? I mean how do I deal with it? Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #51 on 20 Sept, 2007, 8:44 »errr....just let the flower bloom Lisham. it`ll have about 4 or 5 flower stalks ( or more ! ) in it`s lifetime & it will still last a few months while blooming. it`ll give you many many seeds. to me, spats are among the easiest to get seeds from.

cheers, tarence.

« Reply #52 on 20 Sept, 2007, 15:25 »Tq, Tarence...

okay, assuming i got flowers, then the flowers turns to pods, the pods matures.... What am I going to do with it? Leave it there? Or do I need to do stuff like statification (I dont know the meaning ofthis word... seriously)?
Global Moderator

« Reply #53 on 20 Sept, 2007, 15:47 »you can harvest the seed pods when they turn dark brown/ black. if it`s dry, then you can crush it with your fingers indoors ( not windy area ) and you`ll find some seeds there. If the seed pods are damp, dry them first before crushing. No stratification needed, just sow straight to medium.

Stratification just means duplicating the seeds original growing conditions to enable them to sprout i.e. if usually the seeds go thru winter before germinating, then a period in our fridge could assist to duplicate the conditions & help to soften the the hard seed coat. It isn`t easy tho, that`s why I try to avoid CP seeds which require stratifying. Have to worry about fridge temp, moisture levels, etc etc.

« Reply #54 on 20 Sept, 2007, 15:52 »ok ok... Let them turn brown/black. Let them dry, crush it with fingers in windless area, sow straight into medium.

It wont kill the plant right to let it flower?

« Reply #55 on 26 Oct, 2007, 21:24 »Updated: 26 October 2007

Added D. burmannii

« Reply #56 on 1 Nov, 2007, 14:35 »D. burmanni from Ts Flowering

D. binata from Tarence Flowering at less than 2 inches (Tarence says it shouldn't be flowering at this size...)

Ok... Now About D. paradoxa... The cutting (1 of 2) Nothing happens on this end

I've been so-so in propagating D. spatulata, D. intermedia and D. adeleae. My experience (using the cutting-in-water method) works even if I use tap water (boiled and let cool first of course in plastic food containers).

So usually with the previous species, the planlets always appeared on the leaves (D. spatulata and D. intermedia plantlets appears right in the middle of the leaves while D. adeleae always somewhere around the leaves).

So last month I plucked a couple of D. paradoxa leaves with the white areas attached and covered them with moist LFS inside plastic containers...

Been checking for signs of growth, but nothing happens, the leaves are getting browner and browner everytime I checked.

So today, I gave up on my D. paradoxa cuttings (I hate to admit that I threw away the first experiment batch without bothering to check the other end)...

I picked up the whole thing and was about to put them in a plastic bag when I saw IT!

It sprouted from the white tissue instead of on the leaf...

D. paradoxa is really a paradox!

The sprouting end!

« Last Edit: 1 Nov, 2007, 14:41 by lisham »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #57 on 1 Nov, 2007, 14:49 »chop it off !!! chop it off ! i mean the binata flower....heheh. my bad experience with my adult binata had taught me to NEVER let it flower. it didn`t seed and the whole plant just keeled over & turned black. flower also very inconspicuously small.

wah, i`ve tried paradoxa from leaves as well but no germination yet....i`ll wait & see some more....thx for sharing Lisham.

« Reply #58 on 1 Nov, 2007, 14:57 »hehehe.... It wont set seeds eh? OK... Will chop (chop is such a strong word, I'll gently snip snip the flower bud off instead) later...

I think your D. paradoxa cuttings will start sprouting soon.... I mean if I can do it, then everybody here can do it....

p/s: 1 off topic question... How can you guys let your sarrcenia flower?

It smells like a cats' urine... No... That's an understatement... Lemme rephrase that...

It smells like a cats' urine, the cat who lives on petai all of its' life...

Now that's how bad sarracenia flower smells like....
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedcindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #59 on 1 Nov, 2007, 15:24 »lisham, flowering set D. binata back a lot. And without another clone or form, pollination will not set seed.

Are the paradoxa cuttings place under bright light?

Off-topic:
It depends on the species or hybrid you have. My sarra flowered three times and each time I poillinated it manually. No smell. I have a very sensitive nose so I guess I was lucky. Even my Nep flowers all only smell like pandan leaves so far.
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged
tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #60 on 1 Nov, 2007, 15:32 »yep, my sarracenia flowers are also practically odourless, like that Nippon paint. we let it flower coz it`s gorgeous.

« Reply #61 on 1 Nov, 2007, 15:32 »Ok... problem "snipped"...

Cindy: D. paradoxa cuttings are placed in clear plastic food container with lid. I put them near the mother plant... The mother plant gets at least 4-5 hours of morning sun. Every week I'd open the container for a few minutes to check for growth (been checking all this while on the wrong end ).

About the Sarra bloom... Mine's a red hybrid that looks half-way like s. purpurea but taller... Stinks!

« Reply #62 on 11 Jan, 2008, 13:40 »
Just wanna share with you guys (and gals) my baby D. paradoxa and its' Mama....

I plucked the leaves and put them on top of spag moss... wet wet spag moss... It sprouted from the white part of the leaf.... Not from the dewy part.... Only one of two sprouted to date...
Global Moderator

« Reply #63 on 11 Jan, 2008, 17:24 »Nice Lisham...i got 3 small ones from your sharing of the info last time. Mine are just beginning to colour up but they are still tiny. shall we start on our paradoxa jungle ? heheh.

Speedy recovery from your fever ! rest well.

« Reply #64 on 12 Jan, 2008, 8:59 »Ok... TQ man...

That'll 1/2 of the result plus goverment taxes....

(Holding still, come on... Slap me...)

« Last Edit: 12 Jan, 2008, 9:00 by lisham »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedameliepoulain
Global Moderator

« Reply #65 on 12 Jan, 2008, 23:02 »tarence, I think the kind of slapping that lisham seriously requires is the 'who's you daddy' b*tch slap kind !
« Last Edit: 12 Jan, 2008, 23:04 by ameliepoulain »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedAthene's CP Growlist
Athene's Wishlist
lisham

« Reply #66 on 13 Jan, 2008, 12:07 »Dont la... else... i'll turn around... Then when I turn back facing the camera... I'm Britney spears during her "Baby, One More Time" Era... Wakakaka... Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedameliepoulain
Global Moderator

« Reply #67 on 13 Jan, 2008, 16:12 »aah, the good ole' days,

when she still remembers to wear her u*derpantz!
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedAthene's CP Growlist
Athene's Wishlist
tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #68 on 14 Jan, 2008, 9:04 »Gimme more..... Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlisham

« Reply #69 on 14 Jan, 2008, 20:23 »Huh? Piece of me? (Britneys' Song title... Kinda sorta nice, considering her condition these few months....) Link to Post - Back to Top Logged