Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2008, 12:56 AM
Administrator

Default aliamyz: Nepenthes

aliamyz

Serious Nepenthes Collecter

Nepenthes
« Thread Started on May 15, 2008, 7:23am »
My n.ampullaria,miranda, truncata, ventrata is having problem.Their leaves are getting smaller and the pitchers are small too.Is there anything i can do?
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedLooking for Nepenthes Hurrelliana and Nepenthes Platychila aliamyz

Re: Nepenthes
« Reply #1 on May 15, 2008, 7:23am »

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedLooking for Nepenthes Hurrelliana and Nepenthes Platychila marigoldsfail21

« Reply #2 on May 15, 2008, 7:52am »
Maybe you can give them more light. I've heard of that being a sign of lack of light.
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged jonathan

« Reply #3 on May 15, 2008, 8:35am »

Hi Aliamyz,

If it's possible place them under 50% shade, watering every 1-2 days. (Check your air circulation)

I have never experience this problem on my lowlander before except for my highlander... but this method should solve your problem since it solve my highlanders problem...

Have fun...

Regards
Jonathan

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged A dangerous plant and yet so unique and extraordinary... carnivorous plants.....

alienfx

« Reply #4 on May 15, 2008, 9:46am »
What soil ur using for ur neps?I hope ur not using the normal clay,black soil or even using chemical fertilizer for ur neps.Only use organic fertilizer but that also use very little only to imitate bird and animal droppings in the forest.Use chicken organic fertilizer .The goat organic fertilizer takes long time to dissolve so dont use it.

Did u over water them?Do u have a water pan below ur nep vase?Dont use the water pan and dont over water them.The root of nep can root.The water circulation must be good.Hope this helps.Keep us updated on ur nep condition.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged hongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #5 on May 15, 2008, 3:28pm »
aliamyz, can you give us more details of what your growing conditions for your neps are? How much light they are receiving, how much water? Any fertilizer? what kind of potting mix, etc.
any other symptoms like the leaves turning yellow? getting burnt? red spots appearing?

otherwise it's hard for us to tell you what's wrong with your plants.

Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

My CP Growlist - updated 27 May '08
plantlover

Now I'm getting more experienced

« Reply #6 on May 15, 2008, 3:40pm »
Just like my ventrata. So fussy. Big pitchers when happy(Enough humidity, good water). Small pitchers when unhappy.(Forgot to water for 4 days, my father fertilizing them)
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedAaron aliamyz

« Reply #7 on May 15, 2008, 9:03pm »
Alright guys,thanks for all your help.My first nepenthes was N.Ventrata. I wasn't planning on buying any nepenthes because i loss two when i went to India last year and i was extremely deppressed after the nepenthes died.sorry there was 3 nepenthes.two i bought from a normal market.The plant was really small but have very dark chocolate pitchers.Very big pitchers though and another want is same but yellow pitchers.I bought the both plants for RM50.The ventrata was really small so i bought it for RM12.After the nepenthes died i stopped on buying nepenthes and get interested on hibiscus.My parents bring me to one flower shop.But then i saw N.miranda with really big pitchers,i bought it for RM40.I was looking for how to grow them and put it in very bright light.The leaves started to burn and i've decided to bring it to shaded place then the pitchers and leaves started to get smaller.At first i thought it was because of the burnt leaves but all the new leaves get smaller.I don't fertilize them, overwater them, have repot them this year, at least get about 5 hours of morning sunlight.so what is the problem???Fauzi PM'ed that it's the lack of light.
But is there anything that i can do to make N.Ampullaria, truncata, rafflesiana have bigger pitchers.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 9:06pm by aliamyz »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedLooking for Nepenthes Hurrelliana and Nepenthes Platychila fauzi
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #8 on May 15, 2008, 10:32pm »
Hi Ali,

From my experience, the biggest pitcher for N.ampullaria were produced from plants that are put under 70% shading net and I water them every alternate days - sometimes 3-4 days (just to let the media dry a bit) this is because I am using 100% sphagnum moss. Every day I will water the area within the plants to keep them cool and humid.

The size of the pot will also plays the role here. Try to match the size of the pots with the plants. Smaller pots will have less media and dry faster. This will encourage the growth of the roots - remember healthy roots will give optimum growth for the plant.

Previously I am having problems with N.truncata also when using 100% sphagnum moss. Now I am using choco chip (3 part) mixed with sphagnum moss (1 part). I put them in a more brighter spot under 50% shading net. They seem to enjoy the new media and the sunlight.

You need to use porous media for N.rafflesiana like the above mixed for N.truncata. Keep them under shaded area (70% netting) so that you can see more than 3 pitchers at one time, otherwise it will even be difficult to see 3 fresh pitchers on a plants at the same time.

Although you follow all the intructions and advices from forum members, you will still have to do some experiment on your own as your environment are different from mine - humidity, temperature, water quality etc.

Hope the above do help in order for you to find the right steps to take. Nepenthes will respond to the new environment by producing bigger leaves and pitchers.

Thanks

Fauzi

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedNepenthes - unique plant for unique individual
www.dapat.net/4zeplant
aliamyz

« Reply #9 on May 16, 2008, 8:33am »
My balcony is covered with awning so i have to hang them out where they get full sun or another place where they will get morning sun and another place where they get evening sun.I'm hanging N.Ventrata ,rafflesiana, and truncata in the place they receive full sun and others in the place where they get morning sun only for 2 to 3 hours of light.This is my truncata pic:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:N...s_truncata.jpg
This is the exact same one that i have. A very small plant for RM40.I just bought it!!!

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged