Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29th June 2008, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Default zakhren: New growth on cutting?

zakhren

I'm back!

New growth on cutting?
« Thread Started on Mar 15, 2007, 11:58pm » Well my cutting has been in it's plastic bag for a couple weeks now, I noticed some development just above where the leaves start. It's just above every leaf. It's like a little bump and it's brown. Think this is this new growth? What are the first signs of new growth on a cutting? I would show a picture but it's hard to get a clear pic through the plastic.
Link to Post - Back to Top 218.208.207.26 bifurcatum

Re: New growth on cutting?
« Reply #1 on Mar 16, 2007, 10:31am » the brown color bump on my cutting above the leaf had rend itself and something green growth out
Link to Post - Back to Top 218.111.165.187 zakhren

I'm back!

« Reply #2 on Mar 17, 2007, 12:23am » Oh just wondering, my cutting is quite curved. If I plant it straight up the end of the cutting where the roots will come out is about 2-3 inches to the side. When I repot it into a proper location and pot, should I plant it so that the roots are straight down (meaning the plant will be growing off to the side), Or plant it so that the plant is straight up even though the roots might be near the edge of the pot? Would the plant straighten up if I plant it roots straight down and the plant hanging off to the side?
Link to Post - Back to Top 218.208.207.26 David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #3 on Mar 17, 2007, 8:49am » Congrats! It's a good sign and yes that's where the new shoots come out, at the stem just above the base of the leave.

Have you noticed any roots growing from the botom of the stems? Wait... your cutting is in a pot of sphagnum moss or just in a plastic bag with some water in it?

Be patient. Wait until there are about 3-4 new leaves from the new growth and roots before you pot it. Also when you pot it continue to have the plastic covering the plant. Slowly allow more air into the plastic over a period of about 2 weeks. Since the new leaves grew from a vary humid environment, they lack protective mechanism on the leaves to protect them from lower humidity and direct sun. The cutting might wilt and die if you just remove the plastic.

I doubt the original stem will straighten up since the one I gave you is already quite old and thick. However, the new shoots would. The plant would grow better if the roots are at the centre of the pot but I have grow cuttings where the roots are to the side of the pot because I want the plant to look centralise in pot from the outside. It's really up to you and how that individual plant would react.

I personally like neps that are grown a little slanted sometimes as it give that natural look to it. In the wild their vines scramble among bushes and ferns in the most messy way with tendrils and pitchers hooked and curl around other plants.

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist zakhren

I'm back!

« Reply #4 on Mar 17, 2007, 10:32pm » It's in a small pot of sphagnum moss, sitting in water covered with plastic. SO I wouldn't see any roots. Can it be rooted in just water? Is it better to root in the sphagnum moss? Once it's settled and grown heathily I plan to move it out of that pot because it's small. The leaves are still a bit curled from when I accidentally let it get direct sun for a couple days but are still green.

I might let the plant curve a bit once I move it to a proper hanging pot. So the new stems that grow out of it will grow straight up?

Link to Post - Back to Top 219.94.56.60 David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #5 on Mar 19, 2007, 9:09am » Some growers do that, ie. grow the cuttings in water. Use a mineral water bottle. Place the bottom part of the cutting in the bottle and add water in the bottle. The water level should just touch the tip of the cutting where the roots come out. Cover the leaves with a container or clear plastic. However, make sure the water level stays just at the tip of the cutting. It will evaporate in 1-2 days. So you got to refill the water.

Lately, I've tried just placing the whole cutting in a clear plastic containeer and sprikle water into the container. There's just a small puddle of water at the bottom of the container. Then close the cover of the container so that it is completely enclose.

I've done this for mirabilis cuttings. Very sucessful. And you can see the roots and new stems developing.

If you are trying this method make sure you wash the cuttings througly so that there is less chaces of fungus and pest attacking the cutting. Usully when I just wash the cuttings it will be alright. But it also depends on the species. I realise some species are more prone to fungus attact. For those I soal the cutting in a mild solution of fungicide before placing them in the ari tight container.
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2007, 9:10am by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist artificialive
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on Mar 19, 2007, 10:03am » Hmm, my xhookeriana cuttings doesnt seem to do well.. the green leaves started to turn yellow and brown, and i cant see any green growth on the bump. i use pure peat moss as the media.. Perhaps i have to wait a little bit longer..
Link to Post - Back to Top 60.48.208.223[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List] Robert
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #7 on Mar 19, 2007, 4:45pm » as long as the stem is not totally dried, though look brown, it's still capable to produce new growth.Don't throw away, not yet
Link to Post - Back to Top 124.82.23.101 zakhren

I'm back!

« Reply #8 on Mar 19, 2007, 11:16pm » Ah mine has some green thing poking through the brown bump now. I take it that's the beginning of a leaf? It's light green. Ah and i bought a small miranda recently. I got it a bit cheaper because it's pretty sunburnt but it'll survive. Still has 3 full green leaves though 5 are brownish red. Keeping it in my brightly lit bathroom now.
Link to Post - Back to Top 219.95.134.110 bifurcatum

« Reply #9 on Mar 26, 2007, 1:52pm » My hookeriana cutting had already develop one leaf, so now can i remove the plastic bag?
Link to Post - Back to Top 60.49.76.36 David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #10 on Mar 27, 2007, 9:11am »
Quote:My hookeriana cutting had already develop one leaf, so now can i remove the plastic bag?

Do not remove the cutting at this point. Wait until there are a few new leaves before you do that. At the moment the roots might not have developed yet. Most probably the leaf was developed from resources stored in the cutting.

However, when you want to remove the plastic bag, do it gradually over a period of about 2-3 weeks opening the gap more every few days. If you remove the pastic bag totally the leaves will wilt as the new leaves are used to the very himud environment in the pastic bag.

At this point the leaves lack protective mechanisms as it puts more energy into growth in a humid environement. So it needs to slowly acclimatise to lower levels of humidity.

Check out the article I wrote in the article section under Nepenthes.

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist