Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > NON CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Other Weird Oddities Of Nature > Other Plants > Aquatic And Wetlands Plants

Aquatic And Wetlands Plants Everything about shoreline, floating and submerged plants

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26th January 2009, 12:51 AM

Default Plant Respiration

I am posting this question here because I came upon the original info from waterplant keeping... not sure if terrestrial plants are the same, here it goes.

1. I read before that when there is light/daylight we inject CO2 in aquarium with water plants so they can use the CO2 for photosythesis. The take CO2 and expell O2.

And that at night you don't need to add CO2 because in fact the plants use up O2 at night and that they grow at night.

1a. Wonder if this is the same with Terrestrial plants?

2. I just read a book called ABC's of nature (1984). And what it said was interesting..... it said that all plants take in O2 just like other living things, and produce CO2, but the CO2 gets used for Photosythesis during the day time. At night because there is no Photosynthesis, then CO2 is released.

My question is:

Which one is correct?
1st one or 2nd one?

Because if the 2nd one is true, then plants can suffucate if we put them in a bag filled with CO2 only?

Reason I ask is CP related actually. I have some Sarracenia that suffer from scale insects, I plan to put them in a plastic bag and fill that with CO2 hoping that after maybe 4 hours of pure CO2 gas, they will all die (the insects).

TTFN
Arvin