Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > Projects

Projects Tips, suggestions and discussion on member's gardening projects

Old 2nd July 2008, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Default sockhom: My Nepenthes setups (Read 430 times)

sockhom

My Nepenthes setups
« Thread Started on 27 Dec, 2007, 5:52 »Hello !

I'm not sure where to post this topic so, please, feel free to remove it.

I think it would be a good idea to give you a glimpse of my terraria grown plants in order to propose a better introduction of your lastest new french member.

I grow mainly pitcher plants (the five genera) for almost 4 years now. My Nepenthes are all set in tanks.

1/ Here is my lowland terrarium:
This image is reduced by 30%, click it to view full size.

2/ These two highland terraria are set in my garage where the temperatures can drop as low as 6°C in winter:

3/ Here is a tank i use for small Nepenthes and seedlings:

4/ Finally, here is a view of the part of the garage where the terraria dwell. There is also two Heliamphora terraria and a growing space for subtropical Drosera.

5/ Moreover, I keep a few dozens of temperate species in my garden (Sarracenia, temperate drosera...):

Hope you will like the pictures.

Friendly,

François Mey.

« Last Edit: 27 Dec, 2007, 6:56 by sockhom »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedphissionkorps
Advisor - Nepenthes

if you don't grow from seed, toughen up!

Re: My Nepenthes setups
« Reply #1 on 27 Dec, 2007, 7:15 »do you use HPS for all the terraria? I just picked up a tank myself Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedNatura non facit saltum
Species seed is worth its weight in platinum
Valhalla when I die
Robert
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #2 on 27 Dec, 2007, 22:15 »hello François, is that sliding glass panel you use for lowland terra? Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #3 on 27 Dec, 2007, 23:53 »My goodness! You have so many terrariums. Nice healthy neps you have in them. The conditions must be perfect. Even the mosses are so robust overflowing the pots.

I noticed that your terrarium, even the lowland setup is totally covered except for the small gap between the two sliding glass doors infront. What is the temperature like in the terrarium? Humidity must be 100% looking at how the whole tank is covered and water condensation appears on the glass.

How do you grow your neps so well without fungus spots on the leaves?

What kind of lightings are you using? I realise you only use 2 small light tubes on each tank. I use florencent plant lights and I have to use 4 four feet tubes of 36/38 watts each in order to give enough light to my neps for them to grow well. And I place the lightings much nearer to the plants compared to yours. Hmm, what am I doing wrong???

How you've set up your terrariums has defitnally proved to be perfect since your neps have been growing in this situation for 4 years.
« Last Edit: 27 Dec, 2007, 23:54 by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistericsow

« Reply #4 on 28 Dec, 2007, 1:04 »Wow............................................... ...........................
I saw N.aristolochioides.................
And I saw a lot square pots.

sockhom, you had shared the brilliant idea for indoor garden. Those tank are customize?
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedjk

« Reply #5 on 28 Dec, 2007, 1:27 »The real accomplishment is training that baby not to get into the terrariums and equipment that are at his/her level. Great setup and great plants, as usual, Sockhom. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedsockhom

« Reply #6 on 28 Dec, 2007, 2:15 »Hello !

Thanks for the kind words.

My lowland terrarium is lit by a 250 w metal halid lamp. For all the other terraria, i use two fluocompact tubes which deliver almost 10 000 lumens (110 Watts).

Humidity is indeed high in those enclosures. I have only set thin gaps for the air circulation. However, i slightly open the doors after the light extinction and i close them before i go to sleep. Fungi are, thus, seldom a problem.

And yes, my children are well trained...

Friendly,

François.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedcaseyhoo

« Reply #7 on 1 Jan, 2008, 0:07 »wauh... nice terrariums youi have there!!!! jalous... Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedBest Regards,
KC Hoo
Wanted List

They are nice : D. aliciae, D. brevicornis, D. derbyensis, D. falconeri, D. lanata, D. villosa, D. lowriei, D. menziesii
tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on 2 Jan, 2008, 12:22 »Bonjour Sockhom

Lovely set up you have there. I guess we folks in the tropics don`t really need such setups unless we stay in apartments, but looking at yours...mmm...i could just sit in front of them & stare for hours.

One question : any interest in growing tropical sundews in your setup ? they are quite interesting too.
« Last Edit: 3 Jan, 2008, 8:33 by tarence »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedsockhom

« Reply #9 on 2 Jan, 2008, 18:17 »Hello Tarence !

Well, i plan to grow tropicals sundews(such as the petiolaris complex species) too but not now I have to make another lowland terrarium first: my bicalcarata is spreading quite fast.
Besides, i am already starting a collection of subtropical and pygmy Drosera.

Thanks for the kind words .

François
« Last Edit: 2 Jan, 2008, 18:20 by sockhom »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on 3 Jan, 2008, 8:35 »Ok noted, thx...your pygmy sundews have flowered beautifully too. I hope mine will flower when the time comes as well. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlaxgoal

« Reply #11 on 14 Mar, 2008, 14:01 »Hey! your garage idea is genious! I think I might do this with the N. Sibuyanesis and the N. Mikei I'm about to get. that would account for a nice temperature drop! P.S. what kind of lights do you use? Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedshawnintland

« Reply #12 on 14 Mar, 2008, 22:37 »Absolutely gorgeous terrariums François! I agree, I could sit there staring all day! And NO grasshoppers munching your leaves! How long do you think you can keep that bical in there?
Shawn
« Last Edit: 14 Mar, 2008, 22:40 by shawnintland »Link to Post - Back to Top Logged