Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Old 3rd July 2008, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Default caseyhoo: propagate Sundew by leaf cutting? (Read 268 times)

caseyhoo

propagate Sundew by leaf cutting?
« Thread Started on 21 Aug, 2007, 10:23 »As I know, Sundew can propagate by leaf cutting. Any one try it before? when plug sundew leaf, it is done by plug a whole leaf? or???

Thanx for sharing...

Below is the article from internet

Leaf cuttings work very well with sundews, moderately well with butterworts and fairly well with Venus Flytraps. This is best done in the early growing season of Spring. Cut off a fresh, healthy, mature leaf at the base of the petiole with a clean, fresh, single-edged razor blade. Place the entire leaf right-side-up on a bed of moist, finely chopped green Sphagnum. The lower side of the leaf must lie flat on the Sphagnum. You can do this by placing a single layer of cheesecloth over the leaf or by pinning it down with toothpicks. Place your pot of leaf cuttings in the shade into a plastic bag or other high humidity area. Choose a warm, but not hot place. Plantlets will occur in several weeks. Let them develop their own root systems before separating them and planting them in a CP soil mixture. Slowly acclimate the new plants to their normal growing conditions. Leaf cuttings also can be placed in water to develop plantlets. This is especially useful with the sundews.

http://www.carnivorousplantnursery.com/info/propagate.htm
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedBest Regards,
KC Hoo
Wanted List

They are nice : D. aliciae, D. brevicornis, D. derbyensis, D. falconeri, D. lanata, D. villosa, D. lowriei, D. menziesii
tarence
Global Moderator

Re: propagate Sundew by leaf cutting?
« Reply #1 on 21 Aug, 2007, 12:28 »hey there Casey...

yes, propagation by leaf cuttings work. it works for most sundews except d.regia & d.burmanii i`m told.

you can just snip or cut the leaf off cleanly from the mother plant & place it on moist/ wet spag moss and keep it covered within a clear plastic container and put in a bright area. no direct sunlite until the plantlets appear.

if you are asking about any specific sundew , then do let me know & i or someone else in the forum can try to advice accordingly.

cheers...
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedbifurcatum

« Reply #2 on 21 Aug, 2007, 13:45 »I place my cutting on wet tissue paper, and its work! Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedcaseyhoo

« Reply #3 on 21 Aug, 2007, 16:13 »Normally, it will take how long? Wanna try it soon... Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedBest Regards,
KC Hoo
Wanted List

They are nice : D. aliciae, D. brevicornis, D. derbyensis, D. falconeri, D. lanata, D. villosa, D. lowriei, D. menziesii
lisham

« Reply #4 on 21 Aug, 2007, 21:37 »tried propagating d. adelaea in water.... took me about a month to see the result... d. spatulata cutting was tried at the same time, until now nothing happens... so it varies between species you're trying to propagate, i guess... Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on 22 Aug, 2007, 8:33 »Casey: it takes about 2-3 weeks for the plantlets to show up. place the cutting in bright light but no direct sun. only after the plantlets appear can you slowly introduce to sun.

happy trying....
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedartificialive
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on 22 Aug, 2007, 9:16 »Hi all,
have anyone tried to propagate d. indica using leaf cutting?
my indica seems to have a broken main stem, we have a very heavy rainfall last nite here in melaka would be happy if someone can advise. Btw, it is trying to shoot flowers. Id dont know wether it wil successfully bloom it..
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on 22 Aug, 2007, 10:30 »Naj, it should work...try lah. i will try it this weekend if i am free.... Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedartificialive

« Reply #8 on 22 Aug, 2007, 11:18 »Alright, will try. But im out of peat moss. Luckily have some sphagnum moss in my gardening box. Hope i can root the indica leaves. Thanks Tarence. Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on 22 Aug, 2007, 13:12 »in that case Naj, i will also try it this evening, then we`ll compare notes ! heheh.... i will use peat moss under the leaf cutting, top up with shredded spag moss to hold the leaf in place. bright lite, leave pot uncovered, water tray method. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedcindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on 22 Aug, 2007, 15:35 »Casey, I usually cut the leaves and put them in clear disposable plastic containers with tap/distilled water. They are place in a bright and cool place and left there until the leaves start to produce the offshoots. It usually takes about 2-4 weeks depending on the species. If any of the cuttings turn brown, remove it and change the water to prevent fungus growth on the rest. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedartificialive

« Reply #11 on 23 Aug, 2007, 11:37 »Bifurcatum: what species did u propagate on the wet tissue?

Is it important to pluck the drosera leaves to the petiole for propagation? It is important for VFT leaves because the white base is where the plantlets will emerge. What about drosera? The plantlets will emerge at the edges/ sides of the leaves, not from the base.
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on 23 Aug, 2007, 12:35 »to me, drosera cuttings not important to get the whitish part of it.....the plantlets emerge from side and tip of leaves.....

have you done the indica cutting Naj ? i did it last nite at 11 p.m.....while it was raining coz i remembered telling you i`d do it. heheh...

« Reply #13 on 23 Aug, 2007, 12:43 »heheh Tarence, i remembered that u wanted to share notes. I did it yesterday at 7pm. It was already dark because the weather is cloudy.
I Put it on a sphagnum moss, tray water, and cover it with my hand made plastic bottle flask to preserve humidity. Ill post a pic later
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on 23 Aug, 2007, 13:46 »i hope both ours gets plantlets. i`m so tempted to do 2 more leaf cuttings...anyhow, 1 of mine is also having a small flower stalk , but not sure if it`ll materialise into a flower, it failed last time. If it does, I`ll just let it.... Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedartificialive

« Reply #15 on 23 Aug, 2007, 14:03 »Yep, hope both of us will get plantlets. My indica is blooming, and i think ill let it be. Hope it will produce viable seeds « Last Edit: 24 Aug, 2007, 11:48 by artificialive »Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]bifurcatum

« Reply #16 on 23 Aug, 2007, 18:40 »
Quote: Bifurcatum: what species did u propagate on the wet tissue?

D. intermedia and adelae.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlisham

« Reply #17 on 24 Aug, 2007, 11:15 »Hehehe... Tarence and Naj... I did my D. indica cutting last week.

Wishing everyone trying drosera leaves propagation- a pleasant experience and good luck...

« Reply #18 on 24 Aug, 2007, 11:50 »And i suppose u are trying to propagate it using water method, isnt it? hehe
We'll see how our cuttings will do
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]lisham

« Reply #19 on 24 Aug, 2007, 14:45 »yeap... you supposed right... ... Me using the water method... Link to Post - Back to Top Logged
Old 15th June 2009, 12:09 AM

Default Re: caseyhoo: propagate Sundew by leaf cutting? (Read 268 times)

Would like to request and update or follow up on the possibility of sucessful propagation of D. Indica using Leaf cuttings? Would apprecaite very much.

TTFN
Arvin
Old 27th June 2009, 02:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvin555 View Post
Would like to request and update or follow up on the possibility of sucessful propagation of D. Indica using Leaf cuttings? Would apprecaite very much.

TTFN
Arvin
I got 2 D. indica that growing (at last) in my garden. Will try it and update here. Probably need to wait for 2~4 weeks only do the trying, because, the plant is still not so big yet.

All about my Carnivorous Plants experience
http://carnivorousplants.wordpress.com

My Grow list
https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=679
Old 27th June 2009, 11:37 PM

Thanks KC for the reply. Maybe the others that have tried it haven't seen the new question post. Appreciate it KC if you can update for Indica and if ever other droseras that you have. I have only 2 Indicas and I am not ready to do any cuttings yet because I haven't received any confirmation that it will work and they are precious to me as they are seed grown, seeds courtesy of friends in this forum.

I can confirm that Binata and Filiformis will form plantlets from leaf cuttings, I have personal experience. Maybe we should really update this topic with all the drosera leaf cuttings that we all can confirm to be sucessful.

TTFN
Arvin
Old 30th June 2009, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Below is update of my drosera propagate by leaf cutting

Success list
D. intermedia 'cuba'
D. intermedia 'great swamp'
D. spatulata
D. capensis 'giant'
D. adelea
D. madagascariensis

Leaf pulling
D. paradoxa
D. dilatato-petiolaris

Failed
D. burmanii
D. capensis 'typical'

All about my Carnivorous Plants experience
http://carnivorousplants.wordpress.com

My Grow list
https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=679
Old 30th June 2009, 03:05 PM
Advisor
Global Moderator

I have done alot of leaf cutting with capensis, spatulata, binata, curviscapa, aliciae, madagascarensis, filiformis. I tried with villosa and pygmy sundews with no luck but it can take a couple of goes to get the conditions right.

I going to try and do stem laying on rupicola this season to see if is possible to form new tubers this way.