Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd July 2008, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Default tarance: D.binata & its flowers (Read 293 times)

tarence
Global Moderator

D.binata & its flowers
« Thread Started on 28 Jun, 2007, 8:52 »My d.binata was in the midst of flowering. From what I read in Savage Garden & also input from Lim, it`ll be better to cut off the flower as it won`t produce seeds if there are no other d.binata flowers around. Also the seed producing will stress out the plant.

So I snipped off the flower. Kinda sad to do it.

Any comments on this ? What if I had pollinated the flowers with d.spatulatha flower pollen ? Some hybrid perhaps ?

Rgds.......
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

Re: D.binata & its flowers
« Reply #1 on 28 Jun, 2007, 9:02 »Hey, that would be interesting! Cross polinating binata with spatulatha. But don know if the seeds produced from this cross will grow. I understand some species of sundews cannot be cross polinated. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlisttarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on 28 Jun, 2007, 12:59 »It`ll have to be next round David coz I`ve snipped off the d.binata flower stalk. Mebbe when I get more d.binatas. Then I can experiment.....Heheh.
The fact that the plant gets stressed merely from flowering is quite sad....how does nature accomodate such remissions in health in the wild ? sheesh....sad & a lil` disturbing. I guess with a huge clump of d.binatas around, they`ll produce seed easily & then propagate so the temp ill-health the mother plant endures is justified ( sendiri tanya, sendiri jawab, heheh)
Can`t wait for my d.binata to propagate then....
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedjk

« Reply #3 on 13 Dec, 2007, 10:23 »I can't grow many varieties of Drosera, but D. binata grows well for me. It has flowers, too. This plant is not blooming now, but you can see a stalk of dead flowers.

If anyone is interested, the plant is growing in a plastic jar that originally held rice crackers or some other kind of snack food. I drilled 3 holes, each about 1/8 in. in diameter, in the side of the jar about 3 in. from the bottom. Water is kept in the bottom of the jar so it doesn't have to be watered too often, and the holes drain any excess. Inside the jar there is a layer of about 4 in. of perlite on the bottom (can't see this in the photo). The pieces of perlite are larger than the holes, so they don't drain out. On top of the perlite there's a mix of 50% peat and 50% perlite that goes nearly to the top of the jar. There's a top dressing of long fibered sphagnum moss. This plant is in full sun for about half a day and bright shade for the other half.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on 13 Dec, 2007, 12:22 »thx JK for sharing.....your binata looks like a happy clumpy bunch. mine was a sickly 7 leaved plant when it decided to bloom so i guess that`s why it died after that.

how tall is each leaf plse ? mine was about 6".
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedjk

« Reply #5 on 13 Dec, 2007, 16:19 »Tarence, Each leaf is about 12 in. long. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on 13 Dec, 2007, 23:53 »Whoa, so yours reached the maximum length.....hopefully my new batch will reach 12 " too..... Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedvenusflytrapman

« Reply #7 on 19 Dec, 2007, 17:13 »Some, if not, most species of drosera can't be cross pollinated. D. binata and D. spathulata come from different continents, right? If that is true then it is unlinkely that they will grow. That sort of reminds me of my first post on the nep. forum, just I asked about pings and neps too. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on 2 Jan, 2008, 12:44 »Noted venusflytrapman...... Link to Post - Back to Top Logged