Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2008, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Default stefan: How do pitchers attract their prey

stefan

How do pitchers attract their prey?
« Thread Started on Sept 6, 2007, 12:22am » I know that they fall into the traps, but what attracts them to the plant, is it scent or the liquid inside?

Thanks. Stefan

Link to Post - Back to Top 82.44.97.133 jonathan

Re: How do pitchers attract their prey?
« Reply #1 on Sept 6, 2007, 12:40am »
Hi Stefan...

Actually as far as i know pitcher plants attract their prey with it's color, scent's, and nectar that the pitcher produce... the liquid inside the pitcher is for digestion usage...

everyone... i'm kinda new in cps so if i'm wrong of my info is not complete pls correct me...

Regards Jonathan

Link to Post - Back to Top 219.95.149.223 A dangerous plant and yet so unique and extraordinary... carnivorous plants.....

zakhren

I'm back!

« Reply #2 on Sept 6, 2007, 12:44am » Scent,nectar and colour. Neps have nectar on the bottom of the lid, sarras can have nectar around the lip of the tube. The nectar give off it's own scent I expect but I'm sure some would produce their own scent, plus the smell of dead things inside can attract more bugs. Plus colours, sarracenia laucophylla is white for example, white seen in ultraviolet (what bugs see) is very bright purple and a very attractive colour for them. « Last Edit: Sept 6, 2007, 12:44am by zakhren »Link to Post - Back to Top 60.49.32.184 stefan

« Reply #3 on Sept 6, 2007, 11:44pm » Thanks guys Seems a silly question, really Thanks though
Link to Post - Back to Top 82.44.97.133 David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #4 on Sept 7, 2007, 8:59am » There are no silly questions here. Everyone is learning and as I've mentioned before, we never stop learning. So, keep the questions coming.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on Sept 7, 2007, 1:06pm » From what I know, the speckling on the pitchers is not visible to the bugs but apparently, the Nepenthes peristome glows as the insects see it.
Link to Post - Back to Top 165.21.154.17 David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #6 on Sept 7, 2007, 2:05pm » That make sense Cindy, since the insect have to be at the peristome if the plant wants to trap it. If it attracts the insect to other parts of the pitcher, the trap/pitcher would not be as effective to trap insects.

Thanks Zak, now I know why my D. filiformis captures more insects than my burmanii or other drosera under my grow lights. The filiformis has green leaves but white/clear tentacles and dews whereas my burmanii has red tentacles (which made the dews look redish).

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on Sept 7, 2007, 7:33pm » David, the filiformis is like octopus tentacles in the air...it should catch more flying insects than the burmannii.

The peristome is very effective. I saw a video on how ants slip into pitcher because the peristome is moist.

Link to Post - Back to Top 165.21.154.15 stefan

« Reply #8 on Sept 8, 2007, 2:07am » Well, thanks for the other method… I might have to check my conditons soon
Link to Post - Back to Top 82.44.97.133 lisham

« Reply #9 on Sept 8, 2007, 9:21am » A combination of Scent, color and intoxifying bait (nectar)- me thinks

Link to Post - Back to Top 218.208.227.140 David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #10 on Sept 8, 2007, 3:09pm » True also. Thanks Cindy

Quote:David, the filiformis is like octopus tentacles in the air...it should catch more flying insects than the burmannii.

The peristome is very effective. I saw a video on how ants slip into pitcher because the peristome is moist.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged