Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Old 15th October 2008, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Default My tissue culture D. hartemeyororum

Just sharing my new "pets". Taken them out of the tissue culture vials last weekend. The original leaves (reddish colour) seems to have died down but in it's place new leaves (greener leaves). Looks like this species is quite a fast grower. Quite happy about that. Now to try to get it to turn all red.

Just to avoid misunderstanding, the media is not all course sand. That's just the topping. The media is about 2 parts sand and one part sphagnum peat.

Name:  D. hartemeyororum.JPG
Views: 402
Size:  57.5 KB

Name:  D. hartemeyororum 2.JPG
Views: 420
Size:  49.8 KB

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 15th October 2008, 09:43 PM
Senior Advisor

Default Re: My tissue culture D. hartemeyororum

David,what's under that sand? How deep is the sand and is anything else mixed in? I ask because my TC D. hartemeyororum just wasted away (melted down is a better description) ...although it may have been bothered by the long transit time to begin with. I worry that I was keeping them too wet when I see yours. Good luck with them!
Old 15th October 2008, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Ops! I just edited my thread to include that info. Only saw your info after I re-post

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 15th October 2008, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnintland View Post
David,what's under that sand? How deep is the sand and is anything else mixed in? I ask because my TC D. hartemeyororum just wasted away (melted down is a better description) ...although it may have been bothered by the long transit time to begin with. I worry that I was keeping them too wet when I see yours. Good luck with them!
I think being wet is not the problem. My pots are place in about 1cm of water and the media inside is wet. I still have a plastic clear cover over the whole plant at the moment to keep it very humid. Just removed it for the picture.

Old 15th October 2008, 10:49 PM
Senior Advisor

Thanks David! Well, I did 'tests' with 1:1, 2:1, 1:2 peat:sand and a few with finely chopped sphagnum in each of the above. The D. harts all melted down so it was probably the transit shock.
I'm doing similar tests with germinating D. intermedia "Cuba" and the seeds on pure sphagnum have been up 3 days now and still no sign of any on the peat or peat:sand. I'm sure they will follow but it'll be interesting to see just how far behind.
Old 16th October 2008, 08:38 PM
Advisor

I am using sand/peat (4:1) mix. This is fully hardened to my balcony conditions but I lost a couple when the weather suddenly turned hot and dry just for one day.

Try and spot the yellow glands!
Old 17th October 2008, 12:33 AM
Administrator

Cindy, yours have become very bushy. Can't wait for mine to grow like that. Did your plants also loose its original leaves (when it was in the vials) after taking them out of the vials? But it's cools huh when they replace that with a few new growing points.