Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > Projects

Projects Tips, suggestions and discussion on member's gardening projects

Old 2nd July 2008, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Default edmund83: CP Indoor Keeper

edmund83
« Thread Started on 14 May, 2008, 18:42 »
Hi guys,

Since know this website, i know there some CP-mate keep their CP indoors. Some facing the problem but some did well also!

The factor might come from different angle. For example: lighting, air circulation, doze fertilizers, humidity, media, temperature, propagation, disease and etc.

I would like invite you all discuss your experience in this thread. hopefully it can easy for newbies like me to do the initial study. Please do drop your 2 cent here!

It will more prefer if you can show what you have now or before. Kindly provide your CP indoor information and your routine maintenance. Thank you !

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged
Edmund ^^v
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edmund830808/
~~DrosEra F@n == CepH F@n~~

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kianliang87
« Reply #1 on 19 May, 2008, 18:41 »

Hello,

I keep my CP indoors too. Well i am a newbie too. I got the seeds from generous members from this forum. I've sowed a few type of dreseras and quite a few type of nepenthes seeds. But no luck on neps, however i do have a few b.liniflora which died later on after a few weeks. I suspect it's the humidity, when they were still covered up, they were ok, after i removed the cover, they slowly die.
I also have a few burmanii and more than 200 spatulatha. Since the bad experience with b.liniflora i will not take anymore risk with my spatulata, so i don't dare remove the cover. So far they still look good after repotting them.

Here the information about my indoor CP
Lighting: 3* 4ft FL(green cap) cool daylight, 1* 4ft FL(green cap)
Plants are place in a water tray 15 cm from the lights.
Water change every 2-3 day. Misting them every 4-5 day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

marigoldsfail21
« Reply #2 on 20 May, 2008, 1:58 »

Currently I'm growing all my cp's indoors. I've got some highland nepenthes, some easy droseras, and lots and lots of seedlings. I haven't had much trouble growing my plants indoors; the only bad thing about growing plants indoors is that there's less light and space.

marigoldsfail21
« Reply #3 on 20 May, 2008, 3:10 »

Of course it's not like I can grow any of my tropical plants outdoors anyway...

plantlover
« Reply #4 on 20 May, 2008, 15:57 »

Yah. You live in the USA not here. The conditions there are not suitable for tropical plants.

Aaron

phissionkorps
Advisor - Nepenthes
« Reply #5 on 21 May, 2008, 14:14 »

I have to grow everything inside. Our temps can start out at 27° in the morning, and be 95° by the afternoon. Also, humidity here is usually about 15%. I grow everything in this:

Natura non facit saltum
Species seed is worth its weight in platinum
Valhalla when I die

aliamyz
« Reply #6 on 21 May, 2008, 23:08 »

For us here in Malaysia willing to grow highlanders while you willing to grow lowlanders.How difficult for both of us......!!

Looking for Nepenthes Hurrelliana and Nepenthes Platychila

edmund83

« Reply #7 on 22 May, 2008, 16:59 »

19 May, 2008, 18:41, kianliang87 wrote:
however i do have a few b.liniflora which died later on after a few weeks. I suspect it's the humidity, when they were still covered up, they were ok, after i removed the cover, they slowly die.

Did you try test with hydrometer? Maybe it can help you to measure it

Quote:

I also have a few burmanii and more than 200 spatulatha. Since the bad experience with b.liniflora i will not take anymore risk with my spatulata, so i don't dare remove the cover. So far they still look good after repotting them.

Wuw . . that crazy number .Can share how the you able geminate them. I am not good in this

Quote:

Mist them ? drosera can take it the mist?

Edmund ^^v

edmund83

« Reply #8 on 22 May, 2008, 17:02 »

20 May, 2008, 1:58, marigoldsfail21 wrote:
Currently I'm growing all my cp's indoors. I've got some highland nepenthes, some easy droseras, and lots and lots of seedlings. I haven't had much trouble growing my plants indoors; the only bad thing about growing plants indoors is that there's less light and space.

hi marigoldsfail21,

Kindly you can tell us the info of light that you used current. Properly Some of CP mate can be give you guidance!

Edmund ^^v

marigoldsfail21

« Reply #9 on 23 May, 2008, 7:36 »

All my cp's are kept in bright light on windowsills in my home except for d. prolifera, which I keep in a terrarium with a 17 watt fluorescent plant light. The humidity usually ranges between 50% and 65%.

kianliang87

« Reply #10 on 28 May, 2008, 14:54 »

22 May, 2008, 16:59, edmund83 wrote:

19 May, 2008, 18:41, kianliang87 wrote:

however i do have a few b.liniflora which died later on after a few weeks. I suspect it's the humidity, when they were still covered up, they were ok, after i removed the cover, they slowly die.

Did you try test with hydrometer? Maybe it can help you to measure it

Wuw . . that crazy number .Can share how the you able geminate them. I am not good in this

Quote:

Mist them ? drosera can take it the mist?

Hi, I don't have a hydrometer because it's out of my budget. And the linifloras died during my examination month. How sad.
The spatulatas, yea crazy number. Well, this is the first time i germinate them, i sow the seeds on top of about 1 inch layer of peat moss (if i'm not wrong) in plastic containers. Then i cover them with the container cover and put them around 5-7 inches under the lights. Lights on 24/7 for the first few days. Then, lightings on for around 18 hours daily. Now around 12 hours daily.
I spray them with water every few day, when they are still seeds and continue doing that after they grow to plantlet.
But, now i don't spray them anymore since my liniflora died. Did i killed my liniflora by spraying water on them? Oh my god, i'm the murderer.

Student who loves nature.

dom

« Reply #11 on 28 May, 2008, 15:04 »

Dude...the hydrometer just cost around RM7 only. Cheaper than any of your CP.
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged
My very first blog. Feel free to comments. www.dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com

edmund83

« Reply #12 on 25 Jun, 2008, 18:17 »

cant find hydometer.. dom you know where can get?

Edmund ^^v

plantlover

« Reply #13 on 26 Jun, 2008, 9:53 »
What does a hydrometer look like?

Aaron

edmund83

« Reply #14 on 26 Jun, 2008, 14:58 »

it can be maybe type ... for common is look like thermometer . But what i looking is round shape with speedometer and it can stick on glass.

Edmund ^^v

dom

« Reply #15 on 26 Jun, 2008, 16:14 »
Those are suitable for terrarium use... Edmund, you can goto Pet Wonderland in Tmn Megah. Upstair... RM7 only. Or the Pet Safari in The Curve. Exotic Pet section.

This is the digital type. Not really suitable in terrarium. Need battery to operate.

If you can find this commercial or industry use type. Better still. But it is quite big.

« Last Edit: 26 Jun, 2008, 16:15 by dom »

My very first blog. Feel free to comments. www.dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com

edmund83

« Reply #16 on 26 Jun, 2008, 16:49 »
Ya.. i went to pet wonderland twice. All staff do not know what is that. i did explain to them what the purpose for that items. Then took me 15mins call here and there . Finally "out of stock"

I will try Pet Safari~~~ thank dom
« Last Edit: 26 Jun, 2008, 16:50 by edmund83 »

Edmund ^^v