Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29th June 2008, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Default Re: rainforestguy: Seed-grown N. reinwardtiana breaks all odds

phissionkorps
Advisor - Nepenthes

if you don't grow from seed, toughen up!

Re: Seed-grown N. reinwardtiana breaks all odds
« Reply #20 on Jan 24, 2008, 6:47am »

Quote:If the chromosomes are so varied and diverse why is it that one might still get bicalcarata-like plants with the some rokko traits
Simply because of the fact that they are diverse. With a triple genetic system, lots of things are possible. One can't expect the influence of a cross between species A and B which is then crossed again and again with either species to effectively totally overcome any influence of whatever species only appears once, unless we are talking about thousands of generations, and even then, reversions occur.

Quote:Don't you think that if a particular chromosome pool for a plant is so varied that after several backcrosses any unwanted trait should be able to disappear and yet it still shows up.
No, see reversions. Plus, the "unwanted traits" are a result of the breeder's preference. If fangs and no fangs both have equal fitness, NS won't do squat. He can selectively breed all he wants, but even in far removed generations, plants with no fangs will occasionally crop up.

Quote:backcrossing does produce more homozygotic traits, especially using plants from the same geographical region.
Again...not always. You can't say with certainty that it will indeed result in more homozygosity. A heterozygous population when backcrossed to either homozygous parent will be homozygous for the parental traits. This is of course, assuming that the first hybrid A x B is heterozygous for the trait of interest, one of the parents is homozygous for the trait of interest, the appearance of said trait is controlled by a single autosomal allele, and A x B is crossed back only to one of the parents, instead of using a different plant. Also, as said before, using plants from the same geographical area is completely irrelevant in this case. If you started with an area that was completely sealed off from gene flow or migration, had equal fitness for both phenotypes, and was allowed to breed for hundreds (if not more) generations, then you'd have a case. (2m-1/2m)*n, rememeber?

Quote:yes i have more degrees in molecular biology and genetics than you can ever imagine.
For starters, A.Sc, B.Sc., M.Sc, and Ph.D in molecular microbiology, and 3 post doctoral studies in Cancer Genetics and 2 patent applications in molecular diagnostics

A.Sc is irrelevant, as are the patent applications. You didn't happen to get those degrees online though did you? I would expect you to make a lot less simple mistakes, and at least at times, go into more detail than seemingly quoting definitions. MBIO is great, but it seems you skipped the part of the curriculum about population biology and plant genetics. Good job on that cancer research....but that is almost totally irrelevant to plants, and certainly has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. I don't know what you do, but god I hope it's not teaching, or else the youth of Australia are in trouble!

Quote: So please boy, stop being so arrogant and learn a bit of humility in your life
"boy"? LOL! Are you really trying to talk down to me? Besides the fact that you're barely old enough to be my father (and only if you made a bunch of mistakes, and conceived a kid when you were 18), being older, obviously, does not make you any better
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2008, 6:53am by phissionkorps »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedNatura non facit saltum
Species seed is worth its weight in platinum
Valhalla when I die
David
Administrator

Re: Seed-grown N. reinwardtiana breaks all odds
« Reply #21 on Jan 24, 2008, 9:46am »
Sigh! Why can't you guys just talk and discuss about neps peacefully? Like I KEEP SAYING... You may share your thoughts and experience but you may not critisize other people's ideas and experience. Even if you feel something that someone says is wrong, say it nicely.

A polite tone and manner is important to avoid unnecesary misunderstanding. Comments should always be factual, spoken gently, never in anger or sarcasm. Your comments should be of benefit to those spoken to and to the readers in general.

If you have a personal grudge or issue with someone here, take it up with them personally and not on the forum.

PetPitcher Terms and Conditions No.6... "This forum is not to be use to express any dissatisfaction and/or issues which arises with any third party."

This thread is lock.
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2008, 9:55am by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist