Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2008, 12:25 AM
Administrator

Default marigoldsfail21: Nighttime Temperature Drop

marigoldsfail21

Nighttime Temperature Drop
« Thread Started on Apr 5, 2008, 5:10am »
Any one know how to acheive nighttime temperature drops for highland nepenthes? Unfortunatly I'm forced to grow nepenthes indoors, and need some way for growing nepenthes mikei and nepenthes bongso.

Thanks

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged ifurita

Re: Nighttime Temperature Drop
« Reply #1 on Apr 5, 2008, 12:01pm »
I'm growing highland neps indoors and get my nighttime drop using the air-con in my room, which is on when I sleep and shut off when I wake up. The temp drops down to around ~20C, which shouldn't be too difficult for you to get and should be enough to keep N. mikei and N. bongso alive.

Its hard to say more without knowing about your setup, are you using a tank to grow them? Lights or windowsil? etc...

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged nepsaroundthehouse

« Reply #2 on Apr 5, 2008, 9:29pm »
If you live in Michigan I imagine your night time temperatures outdoors are at least 50 F. Is that fair to say? I leave a window open all the time with my smaller plants next to the screen. They get good air circulation and the temperature around the window area must be close to the outdoor temperature. Seems to work. If your temps are too low to leave the window all the way open, try leaving it partly open. It will still be cooler right up against the window area. Just a thought to try out.

Joel

Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedhttp://www.nepenthesaroundthehouse.com arvin555

« Reply #3 on Apr 8, 2008, 10:33am »
Not sure but if I am not mistaken there also should be a corresponding humidity increase with the Temperature drop for Highlanders? If so, aircon and opening windows (in colder climates) might not be sufficient because both give off cold but dry air. Again I am assuming that highlanders want high humidity at night.

TTFN
Arvin

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged marigoldsfail21

« Reply #4 on Apr 9, 2008, 4:53am »
Thanks for the ideas, everyone. The thing with opening a window would likely work exept for in the winter, when heating costs would be too high to do that. I haven't bought the plants yet, but I was planning to use a terarrium in my basement to grow them. The temperature is usually around 62 Fahrenheit all the time there, and I thought if I used several aquarium heaters connected to a timer I could get the temperature to rise ten or so degrees. I could also get the humidity to rise at night with an air stone placed the drainage layer of the terrarium. (I'd have that run off of a timer too) Anyone think it will work? I don't want to buy all that electrical equipment just to have the plants die.
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged