Sarracenia Everything about American Pitcher Plants

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2008, 02:20 AM
Administrator

Default bucky78: Pics of my Bog Gardens

bucky78

Pics of my Bog Gardens
« Thread Started on Dec 10, 2007, 2:49am »
I decided to post a few pics of my bog gardens that I built. I grow all of my Sarracenia, Sundews and Pings in them year 'round. They do really good in this setup. The bogs are 4' x 12' x 12" deep.

All of the bogs

Left bogs

Right bogs

« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2007, 2:51am by bucky78 »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedGrowlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=103039 tarence
Global Moderator

Re: Pics of my Bog Gardens
« Reply #1 on Dec 10, 2007, 12:09pm »
Wow, i`ve only seen bogs like these in books. Good to personally know ( well, kinda know ) a CPs bog owner personally.
Question ( we never run out of questions, heheh ) : how do you keep the medium wet plse ?

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged David
Administrator

« Reply #2 on Dec 10, 2007, 2:19pm »
That's very nice. Is there a drainage hole somewhere at the bottom of the plastic barrier? Can have close up shots please?

There's alot of sarras you have there.

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist bucky78

« Reply #3 on Dec 19, 2007, 1:26am »
Tarence, It usually rains here quite a bit, around 40 or so inches annually so it is not too much of a problem to keep the peat damp. Occasionally I will have to put a hose on the upper part of the bog and let it run on 12 hour cycles and just switch it from bog to bog. That is what the white barrel is in the background of some of the pics. I have a reverse osmosis system that does a really good job of filtering my water and the yellow hose is split and has a clear hose attached (hanging on the tree limb!) so I can lay it on the bog itself and just let the water run. I am glad you like my bogs!

David, there are drainage holes on the lower sides of each bog to drain kinda slow so as to hold a little water in for a while. Each bog is angled slightly so the water will eventually drain. We have had quite a drought here this year only receiving half of the average rainfall so it has been a very dry year and this caused a pretty costly water bill each month as well!!

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedGrowlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=103039 cactustts
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on Dec 19, 2007, 12:18pm »
Wow, that's nice. I wonder how the plants can grow upright steadily without toppling. Just can't imagine how the same setting in Malaysia will look like after a heavy downpour. No strong wind or thunder storm at your place? Anyway, love the way the sarracenia grow. Ya, can we have some closeup pictures of the plants please? I can't see the sundews and pings! They are too small to be seen in these pictures.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedTS David
Administrator

« Reply #5 on Dec 19, 2007, 6:11pm »
Wow, letting the water run for 12 hours. I can imagine how high your water bills are every month. Hey, just a thought... most probably you've already think about it before you made this perfect environment for your sarracenias.

Anyway, I'm thinking why not create a stream beside your bog with water runing from one end to the other. That way you do not need to water that often. Just replace the water maybe once every week in case disolve minerals accumulate in the water. What do you think?

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged