Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29th June 2008, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Default Robert: highland intermediate

Robert
Advisor - Nepenthes

highland intermediate tentaculata

The tentaculata cuttings from H/L intermediate 2,300ft asl are growing and pitchring. The pitchers are not huge. But the fact is being able to grow and acclimatise to lowland conditions mean we can continued to try and grow other H/L intermediate species in lowland conditions.

I placed them in open,cool semi bright shade,no direct sunlight. I mist fine water on the leaves whenever possible. Grown on pure long sphagnum moss and never too wet.

zakhren

I'm back!

Re: highland intermediate tentaculata

Looks healthy enough. Nice to know there is a chance for highlanders to live in lowland conditions. Probably just have to keep cool and wet by the looks of things. Maybe over a shaded pool of water would keep it cool and humidity high?

David
Administrator

member is online

Robert, are you staying next to a hill or jungle? I think that also makes a lot of difference in the temperature and humidity.

Love the red tendrils on your tentaculata.

I have vintricosa and sanguinea, and all their picthers are tiny too. About the size of a gracilis pitcher. However, I have a sibuyanansis that never pitcher for me. It's been with me for one year plus now.

Robert
Advisor - Nepenthes

Hi Zakhren and David.
I live in a housing estate and there's no forest around. The plant was kept behind the house where there was a roof extension. Inbetween there are plants with taller leaves that provide more shade.

I took the reading this morning. The sky was sunny,slightly cloudy.Humidity reading 81%, temp. 30°C. Keep it around 30°C it will still be happy but beyond that leaves started to get yellow and crumpy. During the year end monsoon rainy season temp.,will be around 27°C and it's just perfect temp. for tentaculata.

We can try different ways to fit our environment and if it worked do post here to share. I hope someone have a better way(s), but not using cold room.

David how did you keep the ventricosa and sanguinea, is the ventricosa H/L type?

David

Administrator

member is online

Hi Robert,

My ventricosa is a highland and I keep it outside my apartment window. It's actually quite cold in the morning as my apartment is at the border of FRIM Forest Reserve infront of a small hill. The plant is ok, just that the pitchers are not as big as I want them to. Perhaps its because that area at the window receives direct sun from 4pm-6.00pm for 6 motnhs in a year. After that the sun shift and it receives lesser sun.

For now It is receiving direct sun. I think it is too hot but that is the only place where is can get the cool of the night. I can see that it does not like the direct sun too. It grows away from the sun and it places its pitchers behind the pot so that there is no sun on them. But because it does this the pitcher colours are also not so brilliant.

Been thinking of turning the pot around so that it receives sun but decided not to. Poor fella have to work so hard to move to one direction and I am sure it has reasons to move away from the sun. Since I can't talk to it and understand its concerns, better to leave it to do waht it wants.

The sanguinea is grown outdoors in my parents place. It received sun and rain. However, it is grown under some plants. So it receive dappled sunlight.

Robert

Advisor - Nepenthes

David,I notice most plants without direct sunlight but kept in bright cool shade have healthy shiny leaves. Our tropical sun is too harsh and i also provide nursery shade for those grown in the open. Direct sunlight resulted in crumpy leaves and rust spots.

It's worth trying to move the ventricosa to cool spot,you still can move back if it's not happy. Alternatively provide shade from direct sun 10am to 3pm. Just my suggestion

zakhren

I'm back!

Hmm where do I buy a little temperature humidity detector thingy like that? Haha. It'd be handy.

Robert
Advisor - Nepenthes

In Kuala Lumpur it'll be widely available from Scientific suppliers. yup,Come in really handy.

David
Administrator

member is online

Thanks for the advise Robert. Hmm, hope can find a place. indoors perhaps. But then indoors the temperature does not drop as low as outdoors. I noticed they don't pitcher eventhough the humidity in my house is quite high. Maybe I just need to put more thought into how best to do this.