Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd July 2008, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Default pisceslim: Drosera adelae (Read 623 times)

piscesilim
Global Moderator

Drosera adelae
« Thread Started on 11 Jan, 2007, 13:11 »Drosera adelae origins from Australia. It is tropical species. No need dormancy.

I keep my D. adelae in shade area. But got a lot indirect sunlight. The planting materials is 100% sphagnum moss. I put one water tray under the pot. The water level is about 2-3 cm. But always changes the water. No fertilizer and tap water. Prefer RO water or rain water. But can use tap water which put overnight.

Check the link below for more info.
http://www.cobraplant.com/drosera-adelae.html

Will update some of my D. adelae photos soon.

« Last Edit: 11 Jan, 2007, 13:12 by piscesilim »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedLimDavid
Administrator

Re: Drosera adelae
« Reply #1 on 11 Jan, 2007, 13:25 »Thanks for the explaination lim. Hopefully I won't kill the plant you are sending to me. hee, hee... I'll be growing mine under artificial lights like my other Sundews. Should be enough light suince it is currently not grown under direct sun. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistpiscesilim
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on 11 Jan, 2007, 13:34 »Give them direct sunlight, the leaves will turn red. But I heard it is not good for the plant. But the one I put under the sun still ok. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedLimDavid
Administrator

« Reply #3 on 11 Jan, 2007, 13:52 »I've got no choice but to put it under artificial lights. But the plant will be place within inches from the lighting.

How big a pot do you use for these plants you are sending to us?

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistartificialive
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on 15 Jan, 2007, 19:19 »If i'm watering from above (not tray watering), is it ok if the water splashed to the tentacles? Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]David
Administrator

« Reply #5 on 15 Jan, 2007, 21:49 »It should be ok since in the wild rain fall on them too. But some growers says that in cultivation it is different and it might tired out the plant as it must keep producing dews that ae washed away by the water. If Lim waters from the top, then it shoudl be ok since the plants are thriving. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistpiscesilim
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on 3 Feb, 2007, 19:33 »See what my D. adelae caught today?
This image is reduced by 13%, click it to view full size.
« Last Edit: 3 Feb, 2007, 19:34 by piscesilim »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedLimpiscesilim
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on 3 Feb, 2007, 19:35 »Ha ha! It's a poor butterfly!!
This image is reduced by 13%, click it to view full size.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedLimartificialive

« Reply #8 on 3 Feb, 2007, 23:21 »hahah! ur drosera's stomach will be full for months..! Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on 8 Aug, 2007, 16:37 »Hi, anyone here experience the species dying back once in a while?

Last month, we saw at least 3 CPers having their D. adelae plants die back. Some plants are very large plants which fortunately have got loads of offshoots after that. Their growing conditions are different: garden, balcony and under lights.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedartificialive

« Reply #10 on 8 Aug, 2007, 17:20 »Hi Cindy,
I have 2 pots of Adelae that grew really big, but unfortunately one of the pot suddenly stopped growing, leaves turning black and dry. The only part of the plant that stays is the new shoots. It is still green but didnt grew. Meanwhile, the other pot grew bigger and produce ****es through roots; a very healthy mom with very healthy ****es. Havent got time to repot them.
Surprisingly, i grow both of them under the same condition, same environment - full sunlight from morning to evening with water tray under the pot.
So perhaps one of my pot have same case which u described..
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on 8 Aug, 2007, 17:38 »Hi artificialive,
D. adelae is famous for this sudden dying back even for overseas growers. I was just wondering if it is a coincidence or it could be due to warmer or drier conditions.

Are your plants standing in water? D. adelae does well for me during the cooler months. At the moment now, my balcony is a furnace and I have to hide certain CPs like D. adelae. Even in the shade, the heat gets to them.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedkltower
Pioneer Member

« Reply #12 on 8 Aug, 2007, 22:09 »Hi All,

Mine did not have sudden die back. It sort of went to sleep for a while.

I bought a plant from Lim and it grew into two big plants (bigger than the one in the above photo). I split them into two pots. Then about two months ago the original plant stopped producing dew but the leaves stayed green. The second plant grew to about the same size as the orginal plant with lots of dew and insects.

Now the original plant started to wake-up and begin producing dew on its leaves. They are get good subshine during the morning.

Choong
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on 9 Aug, 2007, 13:38 »Cindy : mine dies back quite often like every 2 months.....i`ve got like 8 pots of huge clumps.....i`m just waiting for them to flower which has never happened yet. They grow to about 4" leaves...and yes, i put them in about water at the height of 1/5 ther pot level. They don`t seem to mind more water or less. If they feel like dieing back, they will just do so. I have them in full sun, half shade, full shade....all experience die backs.
Lim : yours ever flowered ?

Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedartificialive

« Reply #14 on 9 Aug, 2007, 14:11 »
Quote: Hi artificialive,
D. adelae is famous for this sudden dying back even for overseas growers. I was just wondering if it is a coincidence or it could be due to warmer or drier conditions.

Are your plants standing in water? D. adelae does well for me during the cooler months. At the moment now, my balcony is a furnace and I have to hide certain CPs like D. adelae. Even in the shade, the heat gets to them.

Hi Cindy,
Yup, all my adelae (and d. dpatulatha too) are standing in water. Actually i had propagated a lot of adelae, and all of them seem to do fine. Its only this particular pot of adelae that goes sleepy and turned black.
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on 9 Aug, 2007, 14:41 »Tarence: I thought I was bad. Every 2 months? What is your growing condition like?

My first plant came from Triffid Park as lump of brown peat. It rotted and I managed to salvage two hair-like strands of roots...or at least at that time I thought they could be roots. They did gave me offshoots and I got my plants from there. Subsequently, I even had enough to give away. Most of the growers in Singapore got the plant which originated from me. Irony is, just last week I had to ask some of them for the species back. All of mine died and I had nothing left. Perhaps the roots but I had no plant. That was really very sad but perhaps I was too confident, keeping only one plant under lights and not propagating any. Funny thing was I used to have them grow so well in peat, LFS, pure perlite even! So now I am trying to keep them at different corners of my flat and using different media. Kiasu!
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on 9 Aug, 2007, 15:06 »Errr....I have about mebbe 50 adelaes in total so i estimated about every 2 months one or two adult plants will dry up......I grow them in spag moss plus peat moss & perlite....approx 85% of the medium per pot is spag moss. I grow them in 3 conditions....full sun, semi shade, full shade. Water levels either 1/5 or 1/2 the pot height, the hotter areas would have higher water levels. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedcindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on 9 Aug, 2007, 15:30 »50...sigh. Me, one. Die, no more. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on 9 Aug, 2007, 15:34 »with your expertise Cindy, 1 = a jungle in no time.

heheh.....

Lim, Cindy or anyone else in Malaysia/ S`pore region.....your adelae ever flowered ? my friend`s Wilson has flowered before but i do not know of anyone else`s.
« Last Edit: 3 Oct, 2007, 16:01 by tarence »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedartificialive

« Reply #19 on 21 Aug, 2007, 13:35 »Nope, mine didnt flowered. They just seem to propagate more thru roots rather than producing seeds... Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]
tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on 3 Oct, 2007, 16:03 »funny yah Naj...wats wrong i wonder....

i`m more keen in seeing the flowers for their aesthetic value rather than for seeds or propagation purposes . savage garden shows the flowers to be like red stars. awesome !
« Last Edit: 3 Oct, 2007, 16:04 by tarence »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedcindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on 3 Oct, 2007, 20:06 »Mine all die how to flower? Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on 4 Oct, 2007, 9:07 »aiya, die or alive also doesn`t make a diff to me coz no flower also. heheh....cindy, thot you had one adelae left ? Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedcindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on 4 Oct, 2007, 10:26 »All died. I begged from the people I gave D. adelae to last time. LOL Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on 4 Oct, 2007, 12:27 »heheh Cindy, what goes around comes around mah....if not, start stalking CP folks.

i want to see d.adelae flower !!!! from a garden in same climate as mine. *help*
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedhongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #25 on 5 Oct, 2007, 7:28 »Cindy: do let me know if you want some D. adelae.

Tarence: i'll tell my adelae of your command and see what happens. hehe
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

My CP Growlist - updated 27 May '08
tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #26 on 5 Oct, 2007, 9:22 »that`s very kind and helpful of you, hongrui.....speak gently to them for the first few times then use harsher tones if still no flower appears. heheh. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedcindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #27 on 5 Oct, 2007, 10:54 »Thanks, Hongrui. But I got a few back from Lam and Neil already.

Funny thing is, Lam's plant came very nice. Then the leaves went from vertical to flop. I thought perhaps Lam's conditions are more humid then mine so I bagged up the plant. the dew disappeared and the leaves went further down. Recently I got mad and decided to just sun it and leave it to my balcony humidity. The leaves started to get their dew back!!! It happened even for the smaller plants appearing near the roots. Aiyoh, this plant really hah...
Global Moderator

« Reply #28 on 5 Oct, 2007, 11:01 »i k-n-o-w, cindy.....it seems to defy all sundew cultivation logic. eeeee......sometimes, when my plants are sold off, they refuse to behave no matter what advice i give. Only when the new plantlets come out, they start to behave & sprout dew. so i always tell the folks nowadays, just keep the adult one comfortable & wait for the plantlets. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedzakhren

I'm back!

« Reply #29 on 6 Oct, 2007, 9:37 »My adelae all kept dying until i put it on my SW facing bathroom window. Now it's growing back with full dew. Outside my house it just kept dying so for me it's an indoor plant. Link to Post - Back to Top Logged