Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > Projects

Projects Tips, suggestions and discussion on member's gardening projects

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd July 2008, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Default David: My new Grow Chamber (Read 344 times)

David
Administrator

My new Grow Chamber
« Thread Started on 7 Aug, 2007, 23:09 »haa, haa, haaaa, just build a new grow chamber for my neps. So now I can stuff more sundews in the current 4 feet Grow chamber and keep the new one for neps.

Here's the new 4-feet fish tank stand I bought today at RM90...

Here's how it looks like when I set the stand up...

Installed the lightings and reflectors...

Went to an electrical shop near my home to buy the Philips flutone florencent lights. The one with the green metal caps at the end of the tubes. This costs RM9 each. Bought 2...
This image is reduced by 9%, click it to view full size.

Shop fella told me Hitachi came up with a new light. Very bright and it has UV... that caught my attention. The tubes are much thicker. Cool man! He said surgents use this light now as the UV kills germs. Bought 2 at RM15 each to try out. Thought of saving some money rather than buying plant ligths costing RM60 each.

So, in my new setup I alternate between the hitachi and philips lights.

Here's the Hitachi light...

Here's the light casing for both...

Here's a top view of the light fixtures. Did not have electronic ballast, so still use the normal ballast that produces alot of heat. That's why I have to take it out of the casing and install on top of the casing. It helps to reduce some heat where the plants grow.

Installed the new frame above my current stand. Found out there's a grove at the legs that allow it to fit perfectly on top of the current stand. Very stabil...

The joint...

Ok, ok, I know. The colour is different from my current chamber. It's black and the current one is grey. No choice, shop don have stocks of grey ones and I want to set this up asap. Really no more space. Actually, when I look at it, not bad also. Dual tone pattern maa. Anyway, minister of home affairs like it. She said nice to have 2 tone. It does not look out of place. Ok then! The "Minister of Home Affairs" have spoken! (special effeects: all sillent and stare in awe of her...)

Ok... haa, haa... Now plants in!!!

Distance between plants and lightings...

I think it's a little bit too near. Not much space for the neps to grow. But can't do anything now. Already bought the two plastic containers. spent RM54 for both. Unless some kind soul is willing to buy it off from me... hee, heee... Then I can buy new ones that are lower in height. Hai, me laa, rush through the whole process and did not measure the height properly. This is not the way to do things.

Now what's missing is light reflectors for the 2 sides of the chamber to reflect light back on the plant. Not sure I want to build an alluminium reflector for the front like my current chamber for sundews. Maybe no need.

Really like the new lightings. So much brighter than the plant lights. But don know yet of the spectrum is correct. Lets see how my neps react to this new environment in the next 1-2 months.
« Last Edit: 7 Aug, 2007, 23:30 by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistcindy
Global Moderator

Re: My new Grow Chamber
« Reply #1 on 7 Aug, 2007, 23:23 »Excellent set-up, David. Very neat. I love DIY stuff. My growing rack is limited at 3ft which the width of my balcony.

The UV should do some good for your plants but please don't spend too much time staring at your plants. Otherwise, you'll end up developing cataracts sooner than you should. Sometimes we do forget. Avoid the sun because it is hot but when the FL are on, we hang around for hours.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #2 on 7 Aug, 2007, 23:26 »Thanks Cindy. Yaa, I always forget. That's why my face is always tan. Hhmmm, maybe I must buy those metal mask that welders use. I think that would protect my face... but neighbours will think I am crazy if they see me like that.

Eh, why not place a 4-feet one in your house if the balcony does not have enough space?
« Last Edit: 7 Aug, 2007, 23:32 by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistcindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on 7 Aug, 2007, 23:55 »My place got fish tanksssss...

Recently I went to the optometrist and he said that I should be wearing sunglasses because my eyes are yellowing from the UV. My balcony gets direct sunlight from 3pm onwards so my neighbours get to see me in my shades. I am scared, don't want next time cannot enjoy my plants when I am old...and hopefully by then my Cephs have become adults.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedisaacgoh

« Reply #4 on 8 Aug, 2007, 16:12 »Cindy,

I also have the same experience with my eyes staring too long at fish tanks until my eyes are sensitive to light at one time.

I am keeping shrimps in a planted with more than 300w of lighting and I used to stare for hours until I developed sensitive eyes. Now I only look at them periodically and remind myself not to stare too long at any given time. Otherwise, our eyes will not be able to take it.

Rgds,
Isaac
Administrator

« Reply #5 on 9 Aug, 2007, 0:08 »I am going to get myself a sunglass Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlisttarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on 9 Aug, 2007, 13:55 »David : no wonder you`ve been so quiet! I should`ve guessed sumthin` was amiss...heheh. nice new set-up....btw, Get rayban sunglasses.....the best in the market price-wise. btw, what happened to the other old chamber for sundews, vfts etc ? Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #7 on 9 Aug, 2007, 19:01 »Tarence, the old chamber is below the new set up. I installed the new fish tank stand on top fo the old one. Now the whole bottom set up is just for my cuties, the Sundews Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistjeff1u

« Reply #8 on 10 Aug, 2007, 22:45 »David,you have a good idea of setting up. COOL!
Envy you
Administrator

« Reply #9 on 11 Aug, 2007, 21:04 »Thanks for the compliments Jeffery. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistlisham

« Reply #10 on 12 Aug, 2007, 1:25 »wah... DIY... so nice... Me not as talented lo... Me GTSTO only aaa... GTSTO means go to shop to order onli kua....

David... i envy u....
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedartificialive
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on 14 Aug, 2007, 16:29 »Hi David,
From ur first post it seems that u are a very happy person to have completed the setup. Im happy for u too! wish i can have the $$$ to DIY a grow chamber too
However David, a question popped in my head. How much does the electricity cost for the grow chamber? I would like to setup one for me but afraid of the bill consequences. heheh
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]David
Administrator

« Reply #12 on 15 Aug, 2007, 9:37 »Estimated electricity cost per month base on 8 four feet florencent lights and 1 table fan running at 16 hours a day is about RM15. This is estimate as I just set up this new chamber with 4 four feet florencent lights.

I use to pay about RM36.00 for the following runing at 16 hours a day:

- 2 four feet terrarium with 8 four feet florencent lights
- 1 three feet terrarium with 4 three feet florencent lights
- 1 two feet terrarium with 4 two feet florencent lights
- 1 one feet terrarium with 2 PL plant lights
- 2 table fan
- 3 computer fans
- 4 aquarium air pump
« Last Edit: 15 Aug, 2007, 9:43 by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistartificialive
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on 15 Aug, 2007, 15:35 »I see.. thanks for the estimation (wondering if i can setup this DIY grow chamber....... ) Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List] Forum Jump--------------------» Home--------------------» NOTICE BOARD--------------------- ABOUT PETPITCHER FORUM- Announcement--------------------» CARNIVOROUS PLANTS--------------------- Nepenthes--- Nepenthes Articles- Drosera--- Drosera Articles- Dionaea muscipula--- Dionaea muscipula Articles- Sarracenia--- Sarracenia Articles- Pinguicula--- Pinguicula Articles- Cephalotus--- Cephalotus Articles- Utricularia--- Utricularia Articles- Byblis--- Byblis Articles- Heliamphora--- Heliamphora Articles- Other Carnivourous Plants--- Carnivorous Plants Articles- All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants--- All Stuff On CPs Archive- Carnivorous Plants in the Wild- Plant ID corner--------------------» resource--------------------- Where To Get What?--- "Where To Get What" Archive- Book / Movie Review--------------------» members corner--------------------- Introduction- Interaction- Grow List- Projects--- Projects Articles--------------------» market place--------------------- Stuff To Sell- Stuff To Exchange / Give Away- Wanted Stuff- Group Purchase--------------------» PLANTS THAT DO NOT EAT INSECTS--------------------- Non Carnivorous Plants--- Where To Get What? Archive--- Market Place--- Tillandsias and Bromelaids--- Staghorn Fern--- Ant Plants--- Orchids
Click Here To Make This Board Ad-Free

This Board Hosted For FREE By ProBoards
Get Your Own Free Message Board!