Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2008, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Default cindy: Assorted photos of forgotten CPs

cindy
Global Moderator

Assorted photos of forgotten CPs
« Thread Started on Dec 19, 2007, 1:06am » I have been so busy for the past three weeks that other than watering my plants to keep them alive, I haven't paid notice to them until today. Resting at home with a bad flu and recovering from sore throat, I spent some time at my balcony and discovered some "gems". Here are the photos.

D. schizandra a.k.a. 'The Cabbage'. But it looks more lettuce actually.

N. rafflesiana squat with frilled tendril

Cephalotus follicularis 'Coconut Tree' ^_^

Link to Post - Back to Top 165.21.154.116 David
Administrator

member is online

Re: Assorted photos of forgotten CPs
« Reply #1 on Dec 19, 2007, 11:53am » Cindy,

Can I know how you grow your D. schizandra? I bought 2 from Australia about 2 months back and they died within a few days. When it arrive it was healthy and nothing about the plant showed that it was in shock or damaged in transaction.

How much shade do you give your plant? I place mine at the side of my grow chamber so that the light intensity is not too high and it is cooler. Media is always wet with pots soaking in about 1cm of water. Don't know why they died. I use RO water too just like the rest of my Sundews

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on Dec 19, 2007, 4:48pm » David, from the first pic you can see that I have it in a plastic fish tank. The tank is completely sealed with cling wrap and it only removed for watering. The humidity inside is 100%.

My experience with it so far for the past 4 months.
1. very low light i.e. under the table in a room with natural light coming in from the window. But now it is now under the rack with florescent lights, with only enough light to see the dew on the leaf. More light and the leaves become light green, very low light and they are darker green. Seems that they hate strong light...I fried a leaf when I tried to up the intensity of light.

2. wine cooler for the days at 15C (because I switch on the lights at night). But I stopped doing that since the weather turned cool and mainly because I was too lazy and busy to ferry it in and out of the balcony. The latest two leaves were formed in 26C-31C. Not bad for a highland sundew.

I don't stand the pot in water and use only tap water so far. Your plants probably died because they were kept in too low humidity. I don't even dare to open the container for too long if the condition is less than 70%RH. What media did you use?

Link to Post - Back to Top 165.21.154.70 David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #3 on Dec 19, 2007, 6:20pm » Thanks for sharing Cindy.

Wow! 100% humidity. No wander mine died. The humidity in my grow chamber is about 50%-60% during the day and about 60%-80% during the night or early morning. Sometimes if it is very hot during the day the air gets quite dry.

I guess the light intensity at the side of my grow chamber is too bright for this fella too.

I experimented with a mix of peat:sand for one plant and another sphagnum moss. Both died

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on Dec 19, 2007, 9:43pm » I use sphagnum moss and perlite. But the sphagnum moss is laid very loosely in the pot so that although the media is very wet, it drains quickly.
Link to Post - Back to Top 165.21.154.110 David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #5 on Dec 21, 2007, 8:50am » Will try your mix if I ever get the chance own another schizandra.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist artificialive
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on Feb 14, 2008, 3:43pm » Hi Cindy,
can i say that D. schizandra is a house(CP)plant (as long as they are kept in a sealed aquarium)? They seem to like low lights yah?

Link to Post - Back to Top 161.142.7.92[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List] flytrapcody

« Reply #7 on Jun 5, 2008, 11:47am » Wow, Ive never seen a ceph folla coconut tree before. Nice plants Cindy.
Link to Post - Back to Top 75.22.47.219My Growlist alienfx

« Reply #8 on Jun 21, 2008, 10:31am » Ur plants look nice.Since the cabbage is in aquarium do u manually feed them?How often?
Link to Post - Back to Top 60.50.129.170