Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2008, 02:07 AM
Administrator

Default tarence: Theory or fact

tarence
Global Moderator

Theory or fact
« Thread Started on May 20, 2007, 3:41pm »
I read somewhere that if your VFT has more than 7 petioles/traps, then you are most probably having more than 1 plantlet. You can tell from the white `bulb` underneath if you wash off the medium.

From experience, it is quite true. Most single VFTs I have do not have more than 7 traps at any time.

Comments & thots ?

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged zakhren

I'm back!

Re: Theory or fact
« Reply #1 on May 20, 2007, 6:38pm »
Yes as far as I know this is true. Maybe if it's just 1 or 2 more leaves could be a temporary mutation, but if it has alot more it could probably be devided successfully. However, I find it only to be 100% survival for a devision if you devide them with growth points. It recovers quickly too if your devision has a growth point.
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged cosmoking

« Reply #2 on May 20, 2007, 11:15pm »
A division would not be a "division" if it didnt have a growth point-otherwise it would be a cutting!

It depends on the VFT clone really-thats probably true for typical and some other more basic cultivars, but for all these funny mutations you can never really tell.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged arvin555

« Reply #3 on Mar 2, 2008, 9:19pm »
Would appreciate it if you guys can define what a growth point is? I tried to divide my oldest and biggest VFT, I was sure to cut off enough of the "bulb" and it even had some roots, but unfortunately the division died after a week. I have a small VFT that has quite a lot, and I mean a lot of leaves but with my recent failure I'm afraid to touch it. I'll probably wait till the plant/and leaves growes bigger.

TTFN
Arvin

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged italoamericano

« Reply #4 on Mar 3, 2008, 8:32am »
Ciao Everyone!

I just did a division of my VFT Typical and Dutch. I was able to get one plant from the Dutch and Two from the Typical.
Unfortunately, all the divisions died and the Mother Dutch plant is fine but I'm afraid I lost my mother typical.
It is very important to identify the growth points before you do anything!
If you are unsure, do not divide! I know the temptation to divide is great but if the plant has not clearly divided and growing separate of it's mother plant, do not do anything unless you do not care about losing your plant.
This is just my opinion but it seems to me that the plant is easy to divide via its white rhizome but when divided roots are lost. This is whats causes divisions to fail. Thus, I recommend dividing the plants when they have almost completely grown apart because their root system will be intact.
Just my humble opinion.

Giovanni

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on Mar 3, 2008, 9:00am »

Quote:Ciao Everyone!

I just did a division of my VFT Typical and Dutch. I was able to get one plant from the Dutch and Two from the Typical.
Unfortunately, all the divisions died and the Mother Dutch plant is fine but I'm afraid I lost my mother typical.
It is very important to identify the growth points before you do anything!
If you are unsure, do not divide! I know the temptation to divide is great but if the plant has not clearly divided and growing separate of it's mother plant, do not do anything unless you do not care about losing your plant.
This is just my opinion but it seems to me that the plant is easy to divide via its white rhizome but when divided roots are lost. This is whats causes divisions to fail. Thus, I recommend dividing the plants when they have almost completely grown apart because their root system will be intact.
Just my humble opinion.

Giovanni

hi Giovanni

i`m not a vft expert but could the mother typical have gone into dormancy ? from my limited experience. once vfts have a well-developed bulb, death does not come easily. was the bulb still hard or did it turn black & rotted away ?

sorry to hear about the dutch divisions...younger vfts are a bit more sensitive. so far, my own divisions have been fine. i think you may have done the divisions a bit too early. I agree with your post-mortem on the failure of the young vft pups.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged italoamericano

« Reply #6 on Mar 3, 2008, 12:50pm »
Hi Tarence,

Thank you for your post. When I did the divisions, I made sure both plants were out of dormancy. I made sure of this because the new growth was all upward and no longer rosette growing close to the ground. But you could be right and if I had to do it all over again, I would have probably waited until April.
When I did my divisions, I made sure not to harm the mother plants and I made a clean break. All the rhizomes were white and looked very healthy. I planted them in a fresh mix of 50% Peat Moss, 25% Silica Sand and 25% Charcoal. I'm guessing my divisions failed because all the rhizomes lost their roots during the division. Once again, just my humble opinion.
Giovanni

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on Mar 3, 2008, 2:35pm »
Giovanni : most welcomed. it`s good that you are able to analyze to see what might have gone wrong.

Arvin : if you wish to try again, I suggest you wash off all the medium for the vft you wish to divide. ( I`m assuming that it looks like it`s got some pups growing from the clump ). You will then see the white bulb or bulbs.

The separate bulbs will be quite clearly defined if there is more than one. And you will also see growth points or new traps growing from each bulb quite easily. Each of these bulbs would also have their own set of roots. I usually just use my fingers to feel the bulbs and snap them off.

They will grow quite easily once potted. All the best. Hope it helps.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged arvin555

« Reply #8 on Mar 8, 2008, 1:41am »
Aha, thanks Tarence that is probably one key thing that I missed. That there are no new traps growing on the division, although I made sure there was a bit of roots. I will make sure about this in the future. I think this is a big indicator.

TTFN
Arvin

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged