Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2008, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Default David: Updated on Sg, Buloh Nurseries

David
Administrator

member is online

Updates on Sg. Buloh Nurseries
« Thread Started on Feb 1, 2007, 9:45pm » Hi guys,

I was at Sg. buloh today to check out what new plants they have for the Chinese New Year.

All nurseries seem to have only the usual N. xventrata and some small N. rafflesiana.

However, I found a nursery offering quite a few species of neps. They also have Sarra and VFTs. The nursery name is Hee Nursery.

Drive into sg. buloh nursery area, pass the new hospital and drive straight into the road where there are nurseries on your left and right. Before the small temple on your left there is a road turning left. There's where there are a lot of orchids for sale.

Turn in. The first nursery on your right is Hee Nursery. Below are the plants I found there:

- N. miranda (small/medium/giant size plants)
- N. rafflesiana (small pots)
- N. sanguinea (green)
- N. sanguinea (dark purple brown)
- N. xhookeriana
- N. ampullaria
- N. truncata
- N. xventrata
- N. ventricosa (big pot)

- VFT (typical green form)
- Sarracenia (whole plant seem to be green)
- S. purpurea

I think the truncata, ventricosa and rafflesiana are from Malesiana Tropicals. I think this is what Juliana said that MT plants will be available in nurseries in *****ular Malaysia.

The plants are going for about RM28-38 (small/midium pot) and depending on species, the price varies.

I was so tempted to buy a hookeriana but I already have one huge plant at home. Would not have the space for it. I ended up getting a N. sanguinea (purple/brown). It's a tissue culture plant.

The owner tells me that they do not sell wild collected plants but I think the ampularias are from the wild. All other plants look like tissue culture plants.

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist artificialive
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

Re: Updates on Sg. Buloh Nurseries
« Reply #1 on Feb 2, 2007, 12:39am » Thanx David. Too bad, im not in kl
Link to Post - Back to Top 219.95.190.214[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List] isaacgoh

« Reply #2 on Feb 2, 2007, 2:41pm » Great news. I was just looking for amps yesterday because TS told me he bought last time from OUG area. They do not stock them this year.

Will pay them Hee Nursery a visit soon. Thanks for sharing.

Link to Post - Back to Top 202.162.29.16 David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #3 on Feb 3, 2007, 9:00am » Isaac, I must warn you, theri amps are very expensive. They're going for about RM100 for a huge pot I saw. It has a few plants in it.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist isaacgoh

« Reply #4 on Feb 5, 2007, 10:46am »
Quote:Isaac, I must warn you, theri amps are very expensive. They're going for about RM100 for a huge pot I saw. It has a few plants in it.

Wow, that is really expensive. Probably CNY price. I will wait until after CNY to pay them a visit since I'll be going outstation, don't want to take the risk.

Link to Post - Back to Top 202.162.29.16 artificialive

« Reply #5 on Feb 5, 2007, 11:27am » Hmm.. i dont quite understand why amps are very expensive.. they are not one of the threatened neps species. perhaps their unique shape and beautiful basals?
Link to Post - Back to Top 218.111.38.58[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List] David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #6 on Feb 6, 2007, 6:36pm » Usually those that are sold with that price have many basel shoots in the pot and because of this, the whole media surface is filled with pitchers. A sight to behold.

I personally like them because of the shape of their pitchers and the many different variety of colours and colour combinations.

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #7 on Feb 6, 2007, 6:37pm » For me it is a really worth while species to collect
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist cactustts

« Reply #8 on Feb 6, 2007, 11:14pm » Ya, I personally like ampullaria a lot. Like what David said, the colour variation and combination, and the shape too, so cute. And they can grow quite big if the environment is right. But I think the basals formed is the main factor to 'lure' people to buy. Ooh, we are their prey too!
Link to Post - Back to Top 60.51.126.129TS artificialive

« Reply #9 on Feb 6, 2007, 11:48pm » haha TS, neps dont only attract bugs but people too!
yeah, like David said, the variation is worth to collect. i personally think that the basals and the unique shape is the main attraction. Its just that sometimes i feel that it is a bit pricey. Hmm maybe its becos i cant afford to buy an RM200 amp

Link to Post - Back to Top 219.95.190.200[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List] ruslanjamil

« Reply #10 on Mar 3, 2007, 7:11pm » Was at Hee nursery today. The price seems to be higher even though it is after CNY. Truncata was going for RM 40...
Link to Post - Back to Top 219.95.153.124 Robert
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #11 on Mar 3, 2007, 10:27pm » How large was the truncata. Here it goes for RM18.00 small pot(3-4 leaves with pitchers)
Link to Post - Back to Top 60.52.14.127 ruslanjamil

« Reply #12 on Mar 4, 2007, 11:25am »
Quote:How large was the truncata. Here it goes for RM18.00 small pot(3-4 leaves with pitchers)

The truncata was a little larger with 6-8 leaves, if I remember correctly...

Link to Post - Back to Top 219.95.171.188 David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #13 on Mar 5, 2007, 1:45pm » I agree with you ruslan, Hee Garden seem to be selling them a little higher. But for the truncata, I think it is reasonable if you compare with MT's plants when they arrive. These plants are double the size of MT's plants when they arrive and they alrady have 1-3 pitchers. On top of that you get to choose.

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on May 4, 2007, 10:06am » I have seen N. ampullaria in the wild. They even have clusters of pitchers not only at the base but hanging from 10 feet high as well. The jungle area also has plenty of N. gracilis ( they grow & climb up to 20 / 30 feet ), an unidentified form of N.albomaginata, N. hookeriana....

A trip to Genting Gunung Bunga Buah area also has fab highland pitcher plants growing on the roadside cliffs. This is before the actual trek. A sight to behold for those of you who have not seen wild highland nepenthes in all its glory before. The matured plants have foot long dark red or bronze pitchers, I don `t have my reference book at the moment to idnetify the variety but there are about 3 highland species there.

A friend & I are also trying to hunt for wild droseras in Peninsular. My kuching friend found d.burmannii over there & he says peninsular should have as well. The growing areas should be bright open area but damp. Hilly area.

Link to Post - Back to Top 203.106.226.24 zakhren

I'm back!

« Reply #15 on May 4, 2007, 11:48am » Try not to double post. Use the modify button in the up right corner of your post that's already there.
Link to Post - Back to Top 218.208.244.77 jonathan

« Reply #16 on Jun 4, 2007, 12:36am »
Hi all i'm here to post an update on hee nursery...

- N. miranda (small/medium/giant size plants)
- N. rafflesiana (small pots)
- N. sanguinea (green)
- N. sanguinea (dark purple brown)
- N. xhookeriana
- N. ampullaria
- N. truncata
- N. xventrata
- N. ventricosa (big pot)
- N. albomarginata

- VFT (typical green form)
- Sarracenia (whole plant seem to be green)
- S. purpurea

Take care and happy pitching all...

Best Regards Jonathan

Link to Post - Back to Top 218.208.236.128 A dangerous plant and yet so unique and extraordinary... carnivorous plants.....

isaacgoh

« Reply #17 on Jun 4, 2007, 10:12am » Hi Jon,

Would you happen to know how much they are selling the hookeriana for?

Thanks for the update btw.

Rgds,
Isaac

Link to Post - Back to Top 218.111.224.161 jonathan

« Reply #18 on Jun 5, 2007, 1:21am » Hi Isaac

They are selling it for 45 each.....

I bough 2 pot last month.... They are surely easy grower...

Take care now..... will update soon when there are new stock arrive...
i used to visit the nursery every weekends.... so hopefully i get to update when there are new stock arrive....

Best Regards Jonathan
« Last Edit: Jun 5, 2007, 1:25am by jonathan »Link to Post - Back to Top 60.49.57.129 A dangerous plant and yet so unique and extraordinary... carnivorous plants.....

David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #19 on Jun 5, 2007, 10:59am » By the way guys/gals! Have you all heard about the nurseries in Sg. Buloh? Liang was telling me last weekend that the Government has asked all of them to shift to another location in Subang. (Lucky Zak...). Is this true? Lousy laaa, now it will not be at my doorstep.

By the way Jonathan, how much is the albomarginata going for? How big is the plant?
« Last Edit: Jun 5, 2007, 11:01am by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist