Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2008, 01:53 AM
Administrator

Default edmund83: Time to germinate???

edmund83

Time to germinate???
« Thread Started on Apr 15, 2008, 6:34pm »
Hi everyone there

i was try to germinate D. bummanii seed which given by CP mate. How long the expecting time Drosera will be germinate ?

Step i did:

1) one layer sphagnum moss (down)
2) one layer peat moss
3) moist it then spray the seed on top
4) put outdoor and under sun light

Will it be success?????

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedEdmund ^^v
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edmund830808/
~~DrosEra F@n == CepH F@n~~
hongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

Re: Time to germinate???
« Reply #1 on Apr 15, 2008, 7:14pm »
I've not germinated D. burmannii myself, but other species usually take 1-2months to germinate.
if you have the seeds outdoors, my suggestion would be to protect them from rain.

Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

My CP Growlist - updated 27 May '08
edmund83

« Reply #2 on Apr 15, 2008, 7:22pm »
hi hongrui

ya they cover by shielder luckily. But got one time the water of heavy rain almost flood the container. i think around 80 % is water in the container. Is it ok ? are the seed will just gone like that?

hongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #3 on Apr 15, 2008, 8:18pm »
in that case, i guess you can only keep the container around and hope that the seeds has not been washed out or buried into the media.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

kianliang87

« Reply #4 on Apr 16, 2008, 12:33am »
Hello, i am a newbie too. But i have successfully sow the burmanii seeds indoor. It tooks me around 3 weeks if i'm not wrong. Other drosera seeds also the same for me. Using only 3 FL lights and cover the whole container with only a very small hole. Just my humble opinion, if u put your seeds outdoor, i assume u put it in tray. If you don't want them to be flooded again, maybe try make a hole to the tray at the level you want the water to be. Anway i'm a newbie. Hehe. Good luck
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedStudent who loves nature. kianliang87

« Reply #5 on Apr 16, 2008, 12:37am »
Erm, if i'm not mistaken, some of my Droseras already grow from seed in about 2 weeks. Hehe.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedStudent who loves nature. bactrus

« Reply #6 on Apr 16, 2008, 9:55am »
Edmund, hongrui is right. I have my Drosera seeds in an open container. Due to my over enthusiatic watering. Quite a lot of seeds got burried under. Now that I have transplanted the germinted plants and reused the tray. I now have droseras sprouting in between the neps.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedBA edmund83

« Reply #7 on Apr 16, 2008, 5:19pm »

Quote:Hello, i am a newbie too. But i have successfully sow the burmanii seeds indoor. It tooks me around 3 weeks if i'm not wrong. Other drosera seeds also the same for me. Using only 3 FL lights and cover the whole container with only a very small hole. Just my humble opinion, if u put your seeds outdoor, i assume u put it in tray. If you don't want them to be flooded again, maybe try make a hole to the tray at the level you want the water to be. Anway i'm a newbie. Hehe. Good luck

Hi kianliang, i think it is good idea to put it in indoor. There is a question why we nit we cover the whole container ? To increase the humility ? or... sometime else?

edmund83

« Reply #8 on Apr 16, 2008, 5:22pm »
hi bactrus,
thank for the info ... i think i will move it to indoor for the next batch of seeds... luckily i still have some of seeds hehehehe .....

tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on Apr 16, 2008, 5:43pm »
we cover the seeds to ensure humidity is high and constant throughout the whole germination process. air movement is not important. i usually expose the seeds to filtered sunlite. once the germinate, then more sun but only expose to full sun when they are bigger. usually our biggest issue is protecting the seeds or fragile plantlets from rain.

hope it helps.....

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged kianliang87

« Reply #10 on Apr 16, 2008, 8:17pm »
Yea, we cover the conatainer to increase the humidity. After your seeds grows to plantlet, you can start making the hole bigger and bigger. Slowly decreasing the humidity until they are totally not covered up. You have to do this slowly because plantlets are sensitive to sudden changes. I'm not very sure about this. If i am wrong, someone correct me please. Hehe.
By the way, anyone know if it's ok to leave the plantlet the way there are for a month before repotting them? My plantlets are already around 1 week old and some is already 3-5 mm tall. But i am not free to go shopping for their new pots and trays. Can i just leave them in their current container without doing anything other than keeping them moist and wet for a month?
Will they die?

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedStudent who loves nature. hongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #11 on Apr 16, 2008, 8:33pm »
what seedlings are they? you probably can leave them as they are for another 3-4weeks more without any issue unless the seedlings are very densely packed.

i assume that the seedlings are no longer covered up?
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2008, 1:04am by hongrui »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

kianliang87

« Reply #12 on Apr 16, 2008, 8:51pm »
Erm, they are still covered up. Didn't change anything at all, a small container with a small hole. I have more than 4 containers. The seeds will be burmanii and b.liniflora. Spatulata also gonna grow to plantlet already. The burmanii seems to be quite densed, will they die?
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedStudent who loves nature. kianliang87

« Reply #13 on Apr 16, 2008, 8:55pm »
Some are in those cup size type of container. Some are in those container people use to sell noodles or nasi lemak. Haha, i dont really know the name for the containers. Sigh, i really hope i can fork out some time to repot them. But i need to study for my finals examination.
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #14 on Apr 16, 2008, 9:31pm »
if they are close together, some of the seedlings may die due to the competition. it also makes repotting them abit more tricky as their roots are likely to be tangled up together. however it should be okay if its just going to be another 2-3 weeks (just be very careful when repotting them).

i think what you can do in the meantime is to remove the cover and let them get acclimatized to your local humidity. so long as the potting mix is kept moist, the drosera should be all okay.

B. liniflora might be more problematic as they do not really like their roots to be disturbed. when you repot the byblis, try and pick up the plantlet with the media around its root mass to minimise root disturbance.

hongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #15 on Apr 16, 2008, 9:36pm »

Quote: Hi kianliang, i think it is good idea to put it in indoor. There is a question why we nit we cover the whole container ? To increase the humility ? or... sometime else?

Edmund, covering the whole container is not really necessary, our local humidity is sufficient, especially so as we keep our media constantly moist.

kianliang87

« Reply #16 on Apr 16, 2008, 11:01pm »
Thanks alot Hong Rui, your advises are really helpful. Actually i forget to mention that they were planted in air cond room, that's why i cover them up. . By the way, i think i'm going to move them to another empty room, still indoor, but without air cond. Air ventilation is good in that room. Do i remove the cover by slowly making the hole bigger and bigger or just take them away straight away?

Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #17 on Apr 17, 2008, 1:03am »
since they're are in an air-con room, covering up is a good idea.

me personally, i would take the cover away straight away. but to make the hole/s bigger and bigger everyday works too. what you can use is a piece of cling wrap over the container and just poke a couple of holes in the cling wrap using needles/pens. then everyday after, you can just poke more holes. within a week the clingwrap should holey enough for you to dump the cling wrap. this way, you can recycle the cover and container for the next germination.

kianliang87

« Reply #18 on Apr 17, 2008, 9:08pm »
Many many thanks for your advise.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedStudent who loves nature. edmund83

« Reply #19 on Apr 25, 2008, 6:08pm »
hi guys... now i cover the container but not fully . Perhaps give some air circulation on that.
the reason i cover it it mainly avoid the rain. Even though got shielder but if heavy rain .. the container might be flood again.... ......