Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > NON CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Other Weird Oddities Of Nature > Orchids

Orchids Everything about plants in the Orchidaceae family

Old 14th May 2009, 10:49 AM

Default My pathetic orchid :(

Hey....I've seen so many gorgeous pics of orchids you guys grown and it really makes me feel ashame for ignoring my orchid and let it cling for dear life..So from today onwards i shall try to make my orchid flower again....This fella always comes out with a new stem and flowers...As for the tallest stem..It grew from another stem's base like always and flwoered...But halfway before the flowers could open...Alll of it just start dropping the flower buds So any tips on this phal? Its the common 1 with white flowers....I know it looks bad but i shall rescue it

I added some LFS for the topping...Just to keep a little moisture...And a new shoot

The root ball....Its massive..

Tips

Ken

Nepenthes.....The king of CPs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To all drosera and sarra etc etc lovers don't kill me
Old 14th May 2009, 11:21 AM
Global Moderator

Default Re: My pathetic orchid :(

Hi ken.. Firstly that is not a phal. its a dendrobium hybrid. if the flowers are fairly round, then it is bred from the white from of the Cooktown orchid, dendrobium phalaenopsis or dendrobium bigibbum. The roots look ok, so it should grow nicely. avoid covering the old pseudobulbs with LFS. if kept too wet, they will rot. Lighting is as for droseras or neps. True phalaenopsis take less light, somewhat like amps. You could consider repotting in a larger pot too. choose a pot that is just 1 or 2 inches larger than the rootball. Use charcoal, sphag is too wet for most dends. Good luck..
Old 14th May 2009, 11:28 AM

Hi Paphio...Thanks for IDing it...I didn't knwo what it is since orchid is soo widespread...Anyways its pratically in charcoal....I just add a little moss on the top so that i don't have to water that much...I hope thats still fine And what do you mean by this
Quote:
avoid covering the old pseudobulbs with LFS
I'm still new to all this "scientific" terms hehe..I find this guy extremely hardy...I've tried never watering it for 2-3 weeks and nothing just leaving it there and it still grew..And also when it comes out with new shoots, the shoots grow very fast too

Oh yeah...The flowers are plain white with a very faint yellowish fuzzy hair in the middle..

Ken

Old 14th May 2009, 07:39 PM

Hi Ken,
I notice that dendrobium orchids attract thrips when in flower. I don't know if you have this problem or not but if you do, watch out for them as they may do d**age to the petals. They appear as tiny black bugs with long abdomen. Old plants are also susceptible to mosaic viruses, which can cause disfigured flowers later on.

Alvin's Green Blog
http://greengates.wordpress.com/
Old 14th May 2009, 08:23 PM

Hi......Black bugs...Hmm i saw some on my raffs....The look like a C shape..

Ken

Old 17th May 2009, 08:55 AM
Global Moderator

The pseudobulbs are the stems in your pic. Don't cover the bases as they get fungal infection very quickly if kept too wet. You can cover the roots, just not the stems. Dendrobiums can be watered more often than once every 2-3 weeks. Most people water every day if potted in charcoal.