Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes > Nepenthes Of Peninsular Malaysia

Nepenthes Of Peninsular Malaysia Field trip, documentry and pictures of Nepenthes in their natural habitat

Old 20th October 2008, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Default 26 Jun 2007: Neps in Langkawi (Gunung Machinchang)

lisham
Neps in Langkawi (Gunung Machinchang)

http://bp1.blogger.com/_Z0v5xiPsC-w/RmFx....-h/DSC00745.JPG

http://bp0.blogger.com/_Z0v5xiPsC-w/RmF0....-h/DSC00747.jpg

http://bp0.blogger.com/_Z0v5xiPsC-w/RmFw....-h/DSC00728.JPG

http://bp3.blogger.com/_Z0v5xiPsC-w/RmFw....-h/DSC00727.JPG

Anybody knows what species is this?

David
Re: Neps in Langkawi (Gunung Machinchang)

Hey, these are interesting! Not sure what they are but I sure want to know. Lets wait and see if others on the forum knows what it is.

jonathan

Hi all....

Erm... the first pic really looks like N. Thorelii but it's somehow the peristome color is different....

Anyway they are really lovely....

Best Regards Jonathan

artificialive

Is it possible that it is mirabilis x gracilis?
The leaves looks like gracilis but the pitcher's structure looks like mirabilis..

David

Hi Naj,

I thought so too at the begining, on whether they are mirabilis x gracilis. However, the bottom half of the pitchers from the second picture onwards does not seem to look like gracilis or mirabilis. But I might be wrong. I don have a mirabilis x gracilis plant to refer to. I saw one plant from a grower in Singapore before. It looks like gracilis. But that's just the lower pitchers. Have not see an upper pitcher of this hybrid.

Lisham,

Does all the plants in that location look the same or are there gracilis and mirabilis growing there too?

isaacgoh

Hey,

This is an interesting find. Does look like something other than graccilis and mirabilis.

Thanks.

Rgds,
Isaac

lisham

Glad U liked the pix. Anyway, regarding if there are other neps around the area, I can't say for sure. I didnt see the plants in person, but according the guy who took the pix (a friend from Kelab Rekreasi Langkawi) said that they grows in clumps and that's the only clump he sees around there. I dont think it's a mirabilis or related to mirabilis, because I think mirabilis only grows in swampy wet area. The leaves can't handle dry condition more than 3 days (refering to the one I'm growing).

By the way, the pix are taken from the same clumps of plants.

I got news that another population of neps are growing in Kampung Padang Wahid (an area where the locals quarry sand).

Will check the place out as soon as I'm free (you guys won't believe that I'm working on a holiday island but no holiday for me, juggling 2-3 jobs at the same time, no cuti for me until next month). And, I'll bring my camera along.

David

Lisham,

Would really appreciate if you could post some pictures of neps in Kg Padang Wahid. Would love to know what species there are in Langkawi.

Waa, between 3 jobs?!!! Are you out of your mind? As it is I am struggling with one job. What more 3 jobs. This is what the Japanese call "Salary Man" in Japan, refering to those young adults who take a few jobs and at the end of the day rent a "tube" (literary a tube) to sleep in as it is too late to go home.

Dear CPers,

No one else knows what species this is? Come on... Choong, Fauzi, TS, Wilson...

I email our advisor and see if he is free to drop by and see what species it is.

Robert

David, i agreed it doesn't look like gracilis x mirabilis(N.neglecta). Someone should bring samples of the plant with stem,pitchers and leaves to the Forest Dept. for verification.

fauzi

Hi,

Normally we will remember if we have seen a Nepenthes plant be it a species or a hybrid. I think the big pitcher is an upper pitcher of the plant while the one at the back - is the lower pitcher.

Identification will require information about species that can be found arround the area, elevation and plant morphology - it's a job for the expert of which I think our advisor will also have a difficult time to identify the plant above..... unless he has done some research on the above plant and has seen the above plant or maybe by seeing the photos he already knows that this is a new species.

Cheers.

Fauzi

lisham

Hi,

Wah... So much excitement surrounding the plant?

IMHO I think the pitcher looks like mirabilis with a dash of gracilis, even the leaves looks like gracilis but there's something else about the plant that doesnt look like right.

I think the fat pitcher is a lower one while the longer one is the upper pitcher.

Anyway, to straighten up the matter I've called the dude who took the pix and plan to have a trip together when we're both free.

I'll keep my eyes open for n. mirabillis and n. gracilis around the area...

Yam Seng (cause most people use "cheers"),
Lisham

David

Just got a reply from Ch'ien Lee. He just got back from field work and just took a quick look at the pictures. He'll try to identify for us in the next few days. Here's his email to me...

Hi David,

Thanks for the heads up. Sorry, I just got back from some fieldwork late yesterday.

I've had a quick glance at the forum and will post a reply soon. The plant appears to be close to N. smilesii (many people confuse N. thorellii with N. smilesii), and may actually be conspecific. Langkawi after all, is quite far north and it wouldn't be unusual for this species to be found there.

It is an interesting discovery nonetheless!

Cheers,
Ch'ien

isaacgoh

Wow,

Getting more exciting now. Thanks Lisham for the pictures, please post update after your trip. Take lots of picture of the surroundings too.

Rgds,
Isaac

ding

Wow. Getting excited now. Hope to hear news from you all soon.

lisham

Quote: Just got a reply from Ch'ien Lee. He just got back from field work and just took a quick look at the pictures. He'll try to identify for us in the next few days. Here's his email to me...

Hi David,

Thanks for the heads up. Sorry, I just got back from some fieldwork late yesterday.

I've had a quick glance at the forum and will post a reply soon. The plant appears to be close to N. smilesii (many people confuse N. thorellii with N. smilesii), and may actually be conspecific. Langkawi after all, is quite far north and it wouldn't be unusual for this species to be found there.

It is an interesting discovery nonetheless!

Cheers,
Ch'ien

Huh?

I know n. thorelli, but I never heard of n. smilesii.

FYI, fauna found in Langkawi is somewhat similar to plants both from Malaysia and Thailand.

Anyway, later today I'm going shopping for pots and what not. After a month of torture (work) without any weekend holiday, I got 2 weeks worth of laundry to do, house chores, "belek"ing my plants, etc.

lisham

FYI, the guy who took the pix have agreed to take me to the location next Friday (13th of July)

If everything goes well, and the plan goes accordingly, expect alot of pix and more pix.

But I don't know if I'm fit enuff to do the climbing. Maybe I'll take the cable car ride to the top, but I'm scared to death of heights!

cclborneo

Hi all,

Once again, apologies for the late posting!

From what I can see in the photos the plant does indeed look like N. smilesii, which is a widespread and variable species from Thailand to Vietnam. Most (all?) of the "N. thorelii" plants in cultivation are actually N. smilesii, hence the confusion.

This species has been found quite far south in Thailand, but I'm not aware of it ever being recorded in Malaysia before, so this would be a new record.

Lisham, if you're going to the site it would be great if you could get some photos of the infloresences (N. smilesii usually has a very long peduncle), the leaves & stems, as well as the habitat.

Ultimately we would need a herbarium specimen so that this plant could be legitimately recorded for Malaysia, but that is best left to someone with a proper collecting permit.

Cheers,
Ch'ien

lisham

Ok. Photo of the upper pitcher, lower pitcher, whole plant, leaves and err.... herbarium speciments- with a proper collecting permit, we'll see what we can do.

Ok.... tentatively everything's going to as planned... the guy called me to confirm again that we will be going on Friday 13th July.

I need to know a few things before I go...

What do I need to do for:

1. Things to prepare before I go?

2. Things to observe when I'm there?

3. Things to do immediately when I return?

2. After I come back, what

srduggins

So what happenned? Where's the update?

sockhom

This plant is Nepenthes smilesii.

Marcello Catalano should check this when he'll be back from Thaïland.

François.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 20th October 2008, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Archive 26 Jun 2007: Neps in Langkawi (Gunung Machinchang)

kltower
« Reply #20 on Mar 11, 2008, 2:05pm »

Looks like the neps on this mountain is safe judging by the experience of a British nep enthusiat who went trekking for the elusive neps in Langkawi recently. Check out his exausting tale:

http://pitcherplants.proboards34.com/ind....04331534&page=1

Choong

phissionkorps
« Reply #21 on Mar 11, 2008, 2:53pm »

hehe, Capslock is American

kltower
« Reply #22 on Mar 12, 2008, 1:00pm »

Aiya, all the Mat Salleh looks alike lah.

My apology for not checking.

BTW, for the non-Malaysian/Singaporean, Mat Salleh is a Malay term for the white westerners.

Coong

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb