Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd July 2008, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Default David: earthworms and sundews (Read 209 times)

David
Administrator

earthworms and sundews
« Thread Started on 4 Mar, 2008, 9:12 »Just found out yesterday night that my D. rotundifolia has dried out and died. I thought it was not getting enough water, but the media was wet as the pot is on a water tray.

So I flush it with water. Guess what! The whole plant float up with the water level out of the media. When I checked there were no roots left on the plant.

I noticed at one corner of the pot there seems to be a heep of sphagnum peat moss being dug up from inside the pot. when I dig into this heep of media I found a baby earthworm in it.

I am not sure how that earthworm got into the pot. Most probably from the few new pots of Sundews I place in the growing area.

has anybody had experience with this? Does earthworms eat the roots of CPs or particularly Sundews roots? Or is it just root rot? To my understanding earthworms eat soil.

« Last Edit: 4 Mar, 2008, 9:13 by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlisttarence
Global Moderator

Re: earthworms and sundews
« Reply #1 on 4 Mar, 2008, 9:46 »My sympathies on your loss.

From my experience, earthworms are only found in CP pots which has old rotting medium, usually my bigger old nep pots. But they do not disturb the roots. I think the earhtworm could be starved for food coz there`s nothing to eat so it went for the sundew roots.

Cindy will probably be a better person to answer the root rot pro****lity question.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedbactrus

member is online

« Reply #2 on 4 Mar, 2008, 11:18 » Plunge media into boiling water prior to planting.

What about woodlouse?

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedBADavid
Administrator

« Reply #3 on 4 Mar, 2008, 12:07 »My sundew media only consist of sand (3 parts) and sphagnum peat moss (1 part). Wold that be enough for the earthworm to digest and produce "fertilisers"?

I've waited until 12.30am last night when it is dark when they come out. Scaned through the media of my other sundew pots and dig into the media where the earthworm push out it's waste/media. Caught 2 more in one other pot. Those lausy pests. Will monitor again tonight to make sure no other pots are infested by earthworms.
« Last Edit: 4 Mar, 2008, 15:54 by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistjonathan

« Reply #4 on 4 Mar, 2008, 14:54 »Hello Dave,

I think that is why they attack your sundew's roots. due to lack of soil particles because of the ratio of 3-1 sand/peat... and maybe that is the only food source for them... i'm not sure if it's enough to produce fertilizers but just maybe from the nutrients that sundew roots supply they are able to produce it... just my own opinion... hope to hear from other grower...

One more thing they come out to the surface at night to feed on death leaves so batter keep an eye on your sundew.... because i'm afraid that they will attack your sundew... furthermore most of them are in your pygmes tray...

I found a way to prevent them...

Earthworms require acidic to neutral soil (pH between 4.5 and 8.4). This requirement, more than anything else, seems to prevent earthworms from living in it, earthworms don't live in too acidic soil.

But i don't think this mixture are safe for our sundew's.... sorry...

Regards
Jonathan

« Last Edit: 4 Mar, 2008, 15:38 by jonathan »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedA dangerous plant and yet so unique and extraordinary... carnivorous plants.....

hongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #5 on 4 Mar, 2008, 17:19 »
Quote: has anybody had experience with this? Does earthworms eat the roots of CPs or particularly Sundews roots? Or is it just root rot? To my understanding earthworms eat soil.

Earthworms feed on decaying plant and animal matter in the soil. it might have eaten the roots of the Drosera, but that would mean that the roots are already rotting.

D. rotundifolia is a temperate species, i think. could it be going dormant or something?
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

My CP Growlist - updated 27 May '08
cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on 4 Mar, 2008, 20:02 »I agree with Hongrui that earthworms do not feed on healthy roots. How long have you had the plant, David?

Mine died recently from rot after water splashed on them.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #7 on 5 Mar, 2008, 9:15 »Not very sure. Can't really remember but I think I had it for quite a while now. It was grown from seeds last year. When it died it was about 1 inche in diameter.

Cindy, yours died of root rot. So does this mean rotundifolia needs dryer media?
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist