Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd July 2008, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Default David: My D. filiformis (Read 182 times)

David
Administrator

My D. filiformis
« Thread Started on 16 Dec, 2006, 11:04 »This is my baby filiformis grown from seed. It is now about 1 inche across. Will post more pictures of my other sundew seedlings when they are bigger. Tried to take a picture of them but the camera could not zoom.

D. filiformis seem to be a very vigorous grower. But then again, I think the small red ants I've been feeding it helps. I could just see a spurt of growth in the next few days whenver I feed an ant to it. cool plant.

This image is reduced by 16%, click it to view full size.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistcactustts
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

Re: My D. filiformis
« Reply #1 on 17 Dec, 2006, 15:43 »Is this a green form? This one you grow them under grow light? it seems quite happy growing. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedTSDavid
Administrator

« Reply #2 on 18 Dec, 2006, 8:39 »Not sure what form this is. When I bought the seeds, the catalog just said filiformis. Yupe, it seems quite happy. So my theory is giving me some good returms. I've tried a few time before buying adult plants, but they all died. So I thought why not growe them from seeds. That way, they're already acclimatised to my growing environment.

Yes, it is grown under florencent lights. I use 5 florencent lights. 2 red spectrum plant light, 2 blue spectrum plant light and one normal florencent light.

I still think the lighting might not be enough. Currently the lighting is about 8-9 inches away from the plant.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistcactustts
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on 18 Dec, 2006, 23:00 »Try to use more normal light than colour, maybe three cool white, one red and one blue. But I don't think blue one have much beneficial effect on plant, but the red one enhance the red colouration. The blue spectrum lights are more for corals. Normally the normal cool white tubes are brighter than the blue and red spectrum lights. Your plants will definitely get more light with that. Only my two cents. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedTSDavid
Administrator

« Reply #4 on 19 Dec, 2006, 8:49 »Hmm, I read from a few source that normal house florencent lights have more green spectrum in them and plants do not really need the green spectrum as much as the blue and red spectrum. The article said that red is for colouration and blue for growth.

The current blue and red spectrum florencent lights that I am using now are plant lights from Germany. I think for Sundews I might have to place the plants within inches from the lights. Some growers I know place them just 1-2 inche from the lighting. If I were to do that, I'll have to modify my whole set-up. I'll just see what happens with my current set-up before I change anything.

I use to have a 4-feet terrarium that have 2 cool white and 2 warm white normal house florencent lights. The plants did not do well in them untill I changed to a mixture of blue and red spectrum plant lights.

Actually the light that is emited from the blue spectrum lighting looks almost like the normal cool white florencent lights, but with a very light blue in them.

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistpiscesilim
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on 27 Dec, 2006, 22:34 »I don't have D. filiformis yet. Let me know if you want to let go.

I think this sundew can be better if give them full sunlight.
« Last Edit: 27 Dec, 2006, 22:37 by piscesilim »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedLimDavid
Administrator

« Reply #6 on 28 Dec, 2006, 9:14 »
Quote: I don't have D. filiformis yet. Let me know if you want to let go.

I think this sundew can be better if give them full sunlight.

Of the whole lot of seeds that I sowed about 4 months ago, only these two germinated. Will see if more germinate. Curently these two are very precious lar.

You're right, they are better off if given full sunlight. However, I've got no choice but to grow them under artificial lights as I live in an apartment in KL.

A few days ago I place them under another set of lighting which has higher light intensity and the plants are closer to the lights. They seem to look healthier. Seem to have more dews on their leaves now.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist