Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Old 5th September 2008, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Fertilizing nepenthes

Thanks for the info Ali i'll try it soon.My ventrata never seems to die no matter what i do.I have once tried cutting a whole basal stem which was around 16" tall i cut to almost the ground leaving 1-2 yellowish leaves and few weeks later it cme out with more basals and more side shoots,my ventrata is more like an empty vine with a few pitchers kinda torturing it 0.o.
Old 5th September 2008, 11:27 PM

I apply fertilizer to the roots (as do many other nep growers) and my plants are producing pitchers every leaf....and none have died from fertilizing their roots, the only way they will die is if they are over fertilized which is much easier to do with a chemical fertilizer.....it is a misconception that you cant fertilize the roots.....after all, in the wild most Neps still receive some nutrients from the soil they grow in (no matter what there will be decaying matter where they grow, hence nutrients will get to the roots).
Old 6th September 2008, 12:36 AM
Advisor

Give me a fertiliser which only increases pitcher size but not leaf size and I will use it on my Neps.

Seriously, with limited growing space, I had to sell off many of my fast growing plants like the truncata hybrids. They were getting too big and were blocking the light from reaching the other plants.
Old 6th September 2008, 10:23 AM

How you feel Cindy???What i mean is you bought the plant and then have to give away for space limitation..i'm really sad to think about it!
Which kind of fertilizer i should use to fertilize nepenthes and where can i buy one?
There is two big bottles of orchid fertilizer that is being sold in my local nursery,so should i use that???

Another thing that i got in the net is that fertilizer with a lot of nitrogen amount in it is good for nepenthes.
Old 6th September 2008, 12:04 PM

I have tried all sort fert to my gracilis and they never die but they stopped producing pitchers instead they began producing big leaf's.Maybe some species more tolerant then others.

So cindy are truncata hybrid for sale?
Old 6th September 2008, 01:59 PM

Yes i might want to buy too!!
Old 6th September 2008, 03:37 PM
malowie

having planting nepenthes for a few years, i have never fertilized them.... i believe that fertilising will not mimic nepenthes natural habitat, which is usually acidic soil and soil that has very little nutrients.

some expertes believe that fertilizing nepenthes will not induce pitcher production.
Old 7th September 2008, 11:39 PM
Advisor

I sold all my EP truncata hybrids except two fo them. That was last year and I didn't feel anything about having to sell them. Just need to know that the hybrids did well at my place and there is no challenge anymore.

Fertilising alone if not going to give you good pitcher:leaf ratio if the light and humidity level are not sufficient.