Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2008, 01:21 AM
Technical Administrator

Default zakhren: My primuliflora

zakhren

I'm back!

My primuliflora
« Thread Started on Apr 11, 2007, 3:14pm »
I just got mine yesterday My first ping haha. Thanks piscesilim. I potted it and this is it now :

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged 3sgjeffery
Re: My primuliflora
« Reply #1 on Apr 11, 2007, 3:19pm »

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged David
Administrator

« Reply #2 on Apr 11, 2007, 4:40pm »
Mine is not doing well. don knwo why.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist zakhren

I'm back!

« Reply #3 on Apr 11, 2007, 5:22pm »
I think yours needs more light? Since this is the one that can grow in full, direct sun if you sit it in water up to the rim. I think your terrarium needs more wattage. Can judge light level on this : Venus flytraps will go red under 6x40watt(=240watt) fluorescent tubes, 12 inches distance (Barry Rice's setup). So lets consider that full sun. 50% shade would be 3x40watt/6x20watt(=120watt) tubes, 12 inches distance then. 50% shade would also be 2x30watt/4x15watt(=60watt) tubes, 6 inches distance. I'm thinking right?

So Dave is using 4x18watt(=72watt). What is the distance of your lights to your plants Dave?
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2007, 7:23pm by zakhren »Link to Post - Back to Top Logged cosmoking

« Reply #4 on Apr 11, 2007, 5:33pm »
Wow that plant looks very healthy! Personally, Id put some LFS on the top of the compost or if you cant find that, you could try some dead LFS. Then I'd sit it in water up tot he rim in full sun.
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged zakhren

I'm back!

« Reply #5 on Apr 11, 2007, 5:39pm »
I think that is LFS its growing in. Thats what picesilim said it's growing in. It just seems a bit decomposed haha. I'm just looking for a suitable plastic container to use as a tray. I wonder, can pings take direct rain?

Oh and dino, see that little one growing on the leaf at the top of the pic? If that roots and becomes a plant I'll try send it to you.
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2007, 5:40pm by zakhren »Link to Post - Back to Top Logged David
Administrator

« Reply #6 on Apr 11, 2007, 8:45pm »
I know my lighting setup is not enough. But at the moment I'm not able to change the setup. Been toying with the idea of getting 2 Metal Halide at 250 watts each. That way I can even grow taller CPs liek sarras as the lighting can be further away from the plants. « Last Edit: Apr 11, 2007, 8:48pm by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist David
Administrator

« Reply #7 on Apr 11, 2007, 8:48pm »
My advise to everyone is this: If you want to buy a house in the future, go for landed property instead of condo or apartment. Save you money, time, heartache and headache in providing a place for your CPs. Let nature take care of it for you in your landed property under direct sun. End of story! You'll live longer as you need not worry about lighting, electricity bills etc.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist zakhren

I'm back!

« Reply #8 on Apr 11, 2007, 8:54pm »
Yeah that would work expensive though right? 250 watts each. 500 wats haha you can put them quite far away. Let's see if I can guess how far away... Hmm... 240watts = 12 inches for full sun. 20 watts an inch. 500/20=25 inches. But metal halide are better for photosynthesis, so a bit further. So 25-30? inches for full sun. For neps you can double that height haha.

Ah then there are reflectors on the sides~ If you put a mirror or something on the back and sides i'm sure you could raise it a few inches more.

And to raise it more, since neps dont need so much light, put from base to the lights as 60 inches. The put pitchers at the base. You could install glass shelves or something to hold things that need more light higher. So flytraps would be 25 inches from the light. Sarras a bit lower, maybe 30 inches (thats to the top or half way down of the pitchers). So depending on the height of the pitcher it could be lower.

So the height of your terrarium can be 5 feet high!
Actually more because the distance doesn't include the pots the plants are in.
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2007, 10:05pm by zakhren »Link to Post - Back to Top Logged cosmoking

« Reply #9 on Apr 11, 2007, 10:23pm »

Quote:I think that is LFS its growing in. Thats what picesilim said it's growing in. It just seems a bit decomposed haha. I'm just looking for a suitable plastic container to use as a tray. I wonder, can pings take direct rain?

Oh and dino, see that little one growing on the leaf at the top of the pic? If that roots and becomes a plant I'll try send it to you.

If it was live it wouldnt be black: thats half formed peat you have there Spaghnum should be a light green colour if its alive.

Oh yes I see it, thanks! That will definetly form a plant I think. I miss my primuliflora-it was really the star of the Pings in its zenith, as it constantly had flowers on it without a break. Sometimes 2 or 3 on it at the same time!

I'm back!

« Reply #10 on Apr 11, 2007, 10:33pm »
2 or 3 at a time? Wow. Why no seed backups? Haha.

Oh and I thought lfs meant long fibered sphagnum? Meaning dead?
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2007, 10:36pm by zakhren »Link to Post - Back to Top Logged cosmoking

« Reply #11 on Apr 11, 2007, 10:35pm »

Quote:2 or 3 at a time? Wow. Why no seed backups? Haha.

I wouldnt let myself pollinate the flowers-they looked too pretty, and plus I didnt think there was a danger of the plant dying: until I stupidly forgot to water it when the water level dropped too low

I'm back!

« Reply #12 on Apr 12, 2007, 12:04pm »
Well i'm now slowly increasing light level for my ping. I'm giving it 2 hours in direct sun today. 3 hours tomorrow, then 4 and so on. I put it in a plastic container with water up to the soil level.

I'm back!

« Reply #13 on Apr 18, 2007, 12:27pm »
OMG!!! I'm so sad!!... My primuliflora... I found it outside... it was dug up and looked like something had beaten it to death...The plant was about 6 inches away from the pot... I don't think it's got any chance of survival... d**n...

It's just all shrivelled up and torn... I feel so sad... It was my first and only ping...
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2007, 12:29pm by zakhren »Link to Post - Back to Top Logged 3sgjeffery
« Reply #14 on Apr 18, 2007, 4:01pm »

What happen!?

I'm back!

« Reply #15 on Apr 18, 2007, 4:44pm »
It looked like it was nicely dug out and put down 6 inches away. The soil wasn't that disturbed (except a hole where the plant was), the pot was still standing right where i left it. So it couldn't have been my cats, their paws are too big for digging up something so nicely. Only other animals here are squirrels and birds. But why would they dig it up and put it just nearby and leave?... Well now I no longer have a ping... And I'm really sad...
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged 3sgjeffery
« Reply #16 on Apr 19, 2007, 9:56am »
dont feel sad.
YOu will have a ping. You make some leave propagation, try.

I have tried some leaves cutting too. If they grow well. I can send some to you guys next time.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged David
Administrator

« Reply #17 on Apr 19, 2007, 6:20pm »
Hey Zak, do what Jeff say. They grow pretty easy from leave.

Mine is not doing well and just a few days ago, I spotted two baby plantlets on two leaves that were droppy and resting on the media. I've since cut that two leaf out and repot in new pots.

Try that zak. It might be a blessing in disguise. You'll have more pings now.

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist cosmoking

« Reply #18 on Apr 19, 2007, 6:28pm »
Everyone, to check how to propagate Pinguicula, please check this website for your individual species or hybrid:

www.pinguicula.org

The problem is they all tend to propagate differently(e.g some will set seed happily, some wont, some will readily take from cuttings, others seldom do etc etc.)
But good luck Zak, I hope it recovers! If its not completely dead and shredded up then it might still recover, Ive had Mexican Pings before which lost most of their leaves and yet they still managed to recover.

I'm back!

« Reply #19 on Apr 19, 2007, 9:09pm »
Dave, thats what I was gonna do. But it was beaten up and dried in the sun. The whole thing was dead when I found it. It's definitely dead.