Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Old 19th November 2010, 02:26 PM

Default New Plants arriving sooner then media

Hi Friends,
I am in need of advise right now, I ordered some plants and they are on the way, I ordered, D. Adelaea, D. Madagasceriensis, D. Curviscapa, Venus fly Trap Clone K1, Sarracenia Hybrid, plants will arrive in next 4 days. I ordered sphagnumm moss from other seller but now due to some problem of shipping it will take atleast a week before it will arrive. Now earlier i was using this ready-mix of Irish peat moss perlite vermiculite in equal amount,
but since it was showing 100+ppm of tds i shifted to using sphagnum moss. Now its sure that plants will arrive earlier then the media, what should i do
if plants arrive early, should i pot them in the ready mix till i get the sphagnumm moss or i should let them sit bare root for extra 4-5 days.
please advise

thanks
Old 19th November 2010, 07:16 PM
Senior Global Moderator

Default Re: New Plants arriving sooner then media

Pot them in the ready mix. I don't think 100+ppm of TDS is a problem.
Old 19th November 2010, 09:13 PM

not to say vaibhav,when i first got my TDS meter few weeks back ,i check my peat/sphagnum that i use all this time.so i moisten the media.and for suprise i measures 200++PPM and counting!

i dont know whats wrong around here but this TDS thingy is confusing.as u know,most experts says below 50ppm is safe.but my tap water is around 50ppm++ and my plants had doin fine this few weeks.

i also measured my pot of plants that hasnt been repotted for 6months++ and i've been using water most of the time.i inject my tds meter in the pot and it measures 400ppm !!!!!!

Ok sry for those long explanations which is nonsense haha,but do u still water ur plants with that car baterry water?
Old 19th November 2010, 11:36 PM
Senior Global Moderator

No need to bother about TDS. Try to grow your plants in the media first. If your plants grow well. Then your media is OK.
Old 20th November 2010, 02:50 AM

Vaibhav,do u still use the car batery water?

i think ur sundews die bcoz of water,not media i guess.
Old 20th November 2010, 02:55 AM

thanks friends,
well even i am little bit unsure of this tds thing now i finally found some sphagnumm moss n ordered it but will taek a whitel before it will arrive but i knw that plants will arrive soon so i am little bit freaking out. i am thinking about potting the plants in ready mix n then when sphagnum moss comes in then repot it to sphagnum moss but not sure if it will be too much for the plants to adapt to within a week. I can leave the plants the way they will arrive for 4 days or so n keep the tissue or moss around the root wet till sphagnum moss arrives n then pot plants.

well in my media some plants died but few are recovering like binata has started growing well for the time being even nidiformis but still not sure if it will work out for long term.

Well iam using Aquafina which is brand of pepsi for my plants its tds is around 20-25 ppm i didnt use battery water again since it was expensive and use less for me.

i hope its works out because i dont wana loose my new plants

thanks