Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Sarracenia

Sarracenia Everything about American Pitcher Plants

Old 29th September 2009, 10:25 PM

Default Stratification?

Needed for sarra seeds right?But exactly I do that?Saw a video in you tube.....the guy mixes the seeds with peat and perlite and after that he just put the whole mix into the potsAdam can you help?
Old 29th September 2009, 11:54 PM

Default Re: Stratification?

Stratify, I have tried experimenting no stratification of fresh seeds, nothing. So Stratify is better. Mix peat and a bit of perlite if you like (but not necessary) make it quite moist then put in the seeds and put in ref, forgot how long 1 or 2 months. I am about to take out seeds from my ref that I have stratified. Sarras need stratificatiton. You can try GA3, but I have no idea if that will surely work or not.

TTFN
Arvin
Old 30th September 2009, 06:21 AM
Advisor
Senior Global Moderator

Hi guys. The method I use is to put some milled sphagnum (small bits of sphagnum) into a zip lock bag and add the seeds. It needs to be moist. I have it so that if I squeeze the bag I can see water but it is all soaked up when I let go. You then just put this into the fridge for 4-10 weeks. Please note that the longer you leave it (the closer to 10 weeks) the better the germination rate.

I usually leave mine for between 6-8 weeks. You then just sprinkle the seeds out onto your normal media (I use equal parts peat and sand) and watch them grow. This stage is where I found out that long fibered sphagnum is not very good, too hard to spread the seeds out.

You can just sow the seeds into the pot you want to use, cover it and put it into the fridge but it takes up a lot of space.
Old 30th September 2009, 03:45 PM
Pioneer
Senior Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by strath76 View Post
You can just sow the seeds into the pot you want to use, cover it and put it into the fridge ...
This was what I did for Sarra seed stratification too, but what I used was a plastic container with some milled moist sphagnum moss. I left it for two months in the fridge. The germination rate was good. One thing good about this method is we could just take out the container and place it in a bright place and wait, that's it.
Old 30th September 2009, 05:39 PM

Do I need to cover it?
Old 30th September 2009, 09:56 PM
Advisor
Senior Global Moderator

You need to cover it to make sure that it does not dry out. If you just put it into the fridge the media and seeds will dry out.