Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd July 2008, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Default kltower: D. adelae plantlets mystery (Read 128 times)

kltower
Pioneer Member

D. adelae plantlets mystery
« Thread Started on 9 Sept, 2007, 22:44 »Like a few of you, I bought a D. adelae from TC Lim back in January this year. The plant grew vigorously and within a few months it grew a side shoot. I transplanted the new shoot into another pot and it also grow very well.

Here is the picture of the of the transplanted plant.

This image is reduced by 30%, click it to view full size.

But what amazed me was, yesterday, I found two plantlets on the same pot. How did the plantlet get get. The plant had never flowered nor had I cut any of its leaves and let them on the pot.

Any theory as how the plantlets got there?

Choong
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedhongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

Re: D. adelae plantlets mystery
« Reply #1 on 9 Sept, 2007, 22:51 »D. adelae will 'self-propagate' from its roots. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

My CP Growlist - updated 27 May '08
tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on 9 Sept, 2007, 23:13 »yep, my plantlets comes up by the dozens actually. give the d.adelae more sun & you`ll get more ****es. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlisham

« Reply #3 on 9 Sept, 2007, 23:35 »any idea why D. adelaea ****es looks like some other kind of drosera? My small pup is growing more and more like a fat spatulata/rotundofolia.... Why like that yeah? Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedartificialive
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on 9 Sept, 2007, 23:59 »Hi Lisham,
baby adelaes will have a roudner leaves compared to the parents. Once it gets more matured, the leaves will grow longer and slimmer

Choong: Your adelae seems to suffer from low lights. From my limited experience, the 'wavy' leaves suggest that.
« Last Edit: 10 Sept, 2007, 0:01 by artificialive »Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on 10 Sept, 2007, 0:17 »Lisham, usually the ones which i put in semi-shade due to lack of space tend to put out round leaves. give it more sun.....

Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedkltower
Pioneer Member

« Reply #6 on 10 Sept, 2007, 21:42 »Thanks Hongrui and Tarence. I didn't know they can reproduce from the roots.

Tarence, the trees by my side have been cut down. The plants are enjoying direct morning sun till about 1 pm and thereafter bright light. Shouldn't that be enough?

Choong
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlisham

« Reply #7 on 10 Sept, 2007, 23:36 »
Quote: Lisham, usually the ones which i put in semi-shade due to lack of space tend to put out round leaves. give it more sun.....

The big adelaea now is growing in a bright spot. I'm referring to my baby d. adelaea. It looks more like a fat version of d. spatulata/rotundifolia thingy rather than d. adelaea. It's growing with at least 4 hours of scorching langkawi morning sun. The leaves are round...
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on 11 Sept, 2007, 9:36 »Choong : yep, i figured that much, about the improved sunlite levels i mean coz your adelae has now red patches, it used to be all green & very long ( not quite a natural look for it, heheh)...it`s also sprouting ****es coz of the new sunlite levels. Yes, your current sunlite levels should be good enough. But some folks put it in whole day sun & they`ll grow very red & their leaves will be short & lance-like...i prefer mine to have similiar sun conditions like yours which will give it about 3 " leaves & a nice reddish hue...all-red to me looks a bit stressed out. my personal opinion only about the all-red leaves yah ?

your other CPs are enjoying the sun now too ? like the sarracenia rubra, VFT, d.spatulatha ? they are direct-sun-loving & sun-reliant-for-growth CPs......