Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > NON CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Other Weird Oddities Of Nature > Orchids

Orchids Everything about plants in the Orchidaceae family

Old 22nd January 2009, 07:56 PM

Default Various paphios

Today I had to run an errand for my mum and on my way back I wandered off track into an orchid nursery in Happy Garden. Came back with two unIDed paphs and a delenatii.
Here is the family:

Paph 1. Large leaved plant. Paph growers here, guys what is your guess?

Another unknown.

This is a delenatii, says the tag. I know they're infamous for refusing to flower but I'm giving it a try anyway.

Niveum

My infamous slow-growing niveum. Although something's telling me it's not a niveum, probably concolor?

Barbatum

I've repotted these plants in clay pots. Initially they came in soft plastic pots like those used for growing commercial Phals. The mix for delenatii and niveum are rock chips, perlite, coco chips, sphagnum and a bit of small particle charcoal. For the barbatum and the other paphs, less of rock chips but higher portion of coco chips and vermiculite, and sphagnum. Any feedback is appreciated. Please advise, thanks!

Alvin's Green Blog
http://greengates.wordpress.com/
Old 23rd January 2009, 08:56 AM
Global Moderator

Default Re: Various paphios

Hi, funkychips..

Great looking paphs you have.. Your 1st NoID paph is probably one of the dark (vinicolour) Maudiae type paph hybrids from Taiwan.. Usually, they cost around RM50 each and in not so good condition.. If you got yours for less, its a steal.. I cannot accurately identify the second one for you, but it looks like niveum. I'm not sure if your delenatii is what the seller claims it is.. Your plant looks different from mine. Yes, your 'niveum' is probably concolor...

Don't mind me saying this, but some of your paphs (especially the single growth ones) look grossly overpotted. Paphs like to have the smallest size pot that will contain their roots and they often can be potted back into the old pot when you change medium. This is particularly important for those from section barbata, which have relatively thin roots and are prone to root rot, and brachys, which like to have their roots squeezed into a small pot and need excellent drainage and aeration. Members of these 2 sections also tend to have few roots, in comparison to more vigorous multifloral hybrids like Jogjae and Shireen.

However, all also depends on your growing conditions. If your growing environment is very dry, then large pots and the inclusion of sphagnum in the mix should suit the plants better. But if your growing area is relatively moist, I suggest repotting all your paphs in smaller pots and use better draining medium like fern root instead of sphagnum. Paph roots tend to rot when kept excessively wet, especially if you grow your plants exposed to the rain...
Old 23rd January 2009, 09:04 AM
Global Moderator

Oops, I was a bit confused about the numbering of your pics.. Your 1st 2 paphs are both Maudiae type hybrids, both probably vinicolour die to the reddish tinge below the leaves.. I think your delenatii is accurately labelled, just the leaves show variation from mine. If you don't mind me asking, what's the paph at the bottom row (far left)? TIA and good luck growing..
Old 23rd January 2009, 10:09 AM

Thank you very much for the ID and advise Paphioboy!! Yeah I potted them into bigger pots because I found there were plenty of roots on some of the paphs even though the plant is small, and they wouldnt fit into the smaller sized pots as I'm scared of breaking the roots. Also I thought that by repotting straight into a bigger pot there will be more space for growth . Will see the progress of the plants, but at the same time will take your word for it and get some smaller pots in case. The mix is fairly well-draining (it comes out pouring through the holes) and my area is warmest at noon so they should dry up pretty quick. (but hardly any breeze) I keep my plants away from rain so I only water them once a day. This is my second time going into Paphs as I failed miserably the first time, when my garden area was exposed to hot sun and I haven't got my porch awning done yet. I love Paphs but they just don't grow well for my case

Vinicolour maudiaes? Nice!!! I got those 2 for rm60 and the delenatii for rm20. Each of the plants have at least one offshoot so I guess it's an ok price hehe. As for the delenatii, I hope it's not another dark con by the nusery selling those niveums as the former. But I hope the Taiwan hybrids do well here. If you don't mind sharing what is your experience in growing the delenatii here in the lowland tropics?

Oh, and are clay pots ok for Paphs? I chose to use them as I wanted to experiment with the moisture retention in the substrate and as well as making it cool for the paphs during the day when it is warm. Please advise, thanks.

The plant at the bottom row was the one I missed taking, though I thought I did . I don't know what that is, it looks like a barbatum/callosum with finer markings and a more bluish green tone. Will take another pic of it later lol..

Alvin's Green Blog

Last edited by funkychips; 23rd January 2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 23rd January 2009, 03:57 PM

wah, that's quite a nice collection you have there. the nursery in Happy Garden, is it the famous Lum Chin Nursery? They have a good collection of orchids and all are properly labelled.

I'm still practically new with paphios and still learning. And after a visit to paphioboy's place, I believe he is the paphio expert!
Old 23rd January 2009, 04:10 PM

Yes, Harris, it is the talked-about Lum Chin Nursery. The majority of their commercial stocks there are not long standing though, so what you see at the moment is what you get. However they have an astounding collection of species phals and their hybrids.

Paphioboy has given me a good insight on my pot size affecting plant growth. I will check on my plants regularly to see if they do not fall prey to rotting. Anyway I am also just starting out on Paphs so if there is anything wrong with my cultivation regimes please keep me guided guys, thanks!!

Alvin's Green Blog
Old 23rd January 2009, 08:07 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Yeah I potted them into bigger pots because I found there were plenty of roots on some of the paphs even though the plant is small, and they wouldnt fit into the smaller sized pots as I'm scared of breaking the roots. Also I thought that by repotting straight into a bigger pot there will be more space for growth .
funkychips, if there are really that many roots on your paphs, then its better use a bigger pot with chunkier medium rather than risk the roots breaking when you squeeze into a small pot.

Quote:
Vinicolour maudiaes? Nice!!! I got those 2 for rm60 and the delenatii for rm20. Each of the plants have at least one offshoot so I guess it's an ok price hehe. As for the delenatii, I hope it's not another dark con by the nusery selling those niveums as the former.
Since the nursery is reputable, I won't question the identity of your plants.. Rm60 for both Maudiaes..? That's cheap!! I saw lousier specimens carried by a rather famous local nursery selling for Rm60 EACH..
Yours look very fat and healthy. However, I still do not think delenatii sells for that cheap. I bought mine (NBS single growth) for RM35. it has continually put out new leaves, but the rate of new leaves appearing and old leaves dying is pretty constant. It doesn't seem to be increasing in size now, so I guess its already mature enough to bloom, just lacks the proper stimulus (cool and dry period) to bloom.. Well, I think you have to wait. If your delenatii is really niveum in disguise, then it will surely bloom..

I find clay pots more suitable for brachys and others which like being on the slightly drier side. I'm varying my conditions very slightly for different species. And also, you shouldn't rake my word for it because it all depends on your growing conditions, which may be different from mine, although we both water once a day. Light, shade, pot size, medium, air movement all play an important part in paph culture. I have seen paphs grown in many ways under various conditions so there is no single way to keep them happy. I find burnt earth (used by many nurseries for terrestrial orchids) an unsuitable medium as it tends to become stick with time.. My mix is a 'rojak' of organic and inorganic material, which is intended to duplicate the natural substrate of paphs in the wild..
Old 23rd January 2009, 11:12 PM

Wow!!! gorgeous orchids.
Old 24th January 2009, 12:09 AM

i know a few guys that are using a new medium for paphios. they're using cut off cubes 1cm X 1 cm from sponge used for floral arrangement (ikebana). there are 2 types of sponge, one for artificial flower and one for fresh flower. the sponge used is the one used for fresh flower type. but they mix it with lime stone for paphios that loves calcium.

the reason is the cubes will absorb water but at the same time will provide a lot of air pockets for the roots.

this medium is also used for other genus like catasetum.
Old 24th January 2009, 10:37 AM

Might be slightly off-topic, but I heard there are some people out there that uses the same floral foam as media for nepenthes.