sunbelle

N. maxima Borone
« Thread Started on Mar 1, 2008, 5:37am »
This is one of the Malesiana clones.
Borone lowland maxima

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged rainforestguy

Re: N. maxima Borone
« Reply #1 on Mar 1, 2008, 6:06am »
I have some doubt that maxima Borone is truly a maxima. It is close to eymae, yet not really in other ways. Has anyone else noticed how their uppers appear infundibular, yet their peristome is too different than the normal eymae.

My next guess would be that it is a hybrid of maxima and something else. Even their leaves are different than the normal maximas that I have seen.

M

Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedhttp://www.lhnn.proboards107.com/index.cgi Ludwig

« Reply #2 on Mar 1, 2008, 6:12am »
Michael I was thinking the same thing. I posted this elsewhere:
Sunbelle, do you have photos of its uppers? The reason I ask, the lid looks almost identical to my eymae pitcher and I was wondering if there are any similarities...could it be N. maxima x eymae?
Wonderful photo!
Here's my eymae showing what I mean:
« Last Edit: Mar 1, 2008, 6:14am by Ludwig »Link to Post - Back to Top Logged rainforestguy

« Reply #3 on Mar 1, 2008, 11:03am »
Ludwig,
Another feature the Borone form has are partly infundibular uppers with a very viscous fluid in it. I have also noted various differences among other maxima forms and believe that this species is in need of reevaluating and reorganizing its species status.

M

Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedhttp://www.lhnn.proboards107.com/index.cgi nep369

N. sibuyanensis x x trusmadiensis

« Reply #4 on Mar 1, 2008, 1:39pm »
Does any one have one of these for trade or sale mine died sadly after many times of being set back and then moved but it stuck around for a long time, I'd really like to bring it back to the family though now that it will have a happy long term home. please PM if you can help.

Thank you,
Rob

Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedgot nepenthes? sunbelle

« Reply #5 on Mar 2, 2008, 11:13pm »
Our plant has not reached the vining stage, so we do not know what the uppers look like. Interesting comments about the similarity to eymae. Like Rainforest stated, maxima is highly variable and perhaps this is an intermediate form between eymae and maxima. It would be great if someone could go to the 300 meter altitude Barone and collect some seed to get more than 2 clones into cultivation. The plant has 3 huge pitchers on it now. It's really striking. I think it has great hybrid potential too, espeially for us lowlanders.
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged rainforestguy

« Reply #6 on Mar 3, 2008, 1:59am »
One of its peculiarities is that the uppers have a different leaf form and tendril to pitcher attachment than maximas do and the pitchers of the Borone form would come close to something you would expect to find on an eymae. I am awaiting the flowers as this will be the clencher to see if this is really a maxima or an eymae. The pitchers of the Borone grows very large. Not even sure if eymaes grow to this size.
Perhaps this clone needs reevaluation to see if it is a new species. But in order to do that, one must find it in its habitat and do a formal process. If this is a true form of maxima.

M

Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedhttp://www.lhnn.proboards107.com/index.cgi