Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Old 19th April 2009, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Recently bought Sphagnum Moss

erm ken,i think the pack of NZ shagnum moss which is rm27+ is a bigger pack while this 1 is only the small pack=.=
Old 20th April 2009, 09:51 PM

I saw the pack before in ACE hardware. I thought it was the wrong SM for my VFT. So I went for the compost (black color) SM, Hortie.

Do I need to mix both types of SM (the one from NZ and Hortie) in each pot? If yes what is the ratio between them?

One more thing.... Will the fiber form (from NZ) SM turn alive after I put them in water soaked pot?

Thanks.....
Old 25th April 2009, 01:53 PM
Administrator

For best price, can try the 5kg compressed cube. Share among few buyers and save a bundle.

Last edited by NepNut; 25th April 2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 25th April 2009, 07:18 PM
Senior Advisor

Thanks for the info on prices and country of origin, but since different prices were reported - Ken RM27.90, Zak RM6.00 and Marvin RM15.50, there is no indication which was worth the buy. providing the weight after mixing with water ( as provided by the manufacturer ) will clear the doubt.
Old 26th April 2009, 01:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zul77 View Post
Do I need to mix both types of SM (the one from NZ and Hortie) in each pot? If yes what is the ratio between them?

One more thing.... Will the fiber form (from NZ) SM turn alive after I put them in water soaked pot?

Thanks.....
You do not need to mix both SM as both are good quality SM. You will only need to mix them with other media material if you grow different species of CPs.

They sometimes do come alive when you place them in the right conditions.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 26th April 2009, 01:18 AM
Pioneer
Senior Global Moderator

RM27.90 & RM15.50 are from the same origin – New Zealand, packed in large & small pack. I found this one the best so far. The RM6.00 one you could find it in some of the nurseries or supermarkets locally. I have tried this one too, not too good, it decomposes very fast.

Zul, you mentioned compost (black colour) SM, did you see any word "peat" or "sphagnum moss peat"? If the answer is 'No", then I think you better don't use it for CPs, it could be other type of compost which is rich in minerals and nutrients and it's for other flowering plants. If you are buying from ACE, look out the packing stated "sphagnum moss peat" if you wanna use peat, or "New Zealand Sphagnum Moss" if you're looking for SM.