Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2008, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Default zakhren: I got the plants!

zakhren

I'm back!

I got the plants!
« Thread Started on Apr 24, 2007, 8:52pm » Haha I recieved the plants today from you know who haha. I'm so happy. I'm not too sure what i've got exactly... alot though. alot of sundews. They arrived pretty flattened, but seems like they're strong enough to survive. I couldn't even recognise some things but they were green so I stuck it in a pot. I can't believe they got here so soon~

What a great 200th post!
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2007, 8:55pm by zakhren »Link to Post - Back to Top 218.111.30.171 zakhren

I'm back!

Re: I got the plants!
« Reply #1 on Apr 25, 2007, 12:15am » By the way, I can list some plants I got, though I'm not too sure which ones they are.
Pings : P. "Gina", P. Esseriana, P. Jaumavensis.
One of them is a decent sized plant, sure to survive.
One is a small plant and will survive only if lucky because squashed
Then I have a few leaf propagations, leaves, with plantlets growing.

Droseras : D. admirabilis, D. Capensis, D venusta
I can only recognise capensis and he gave me a few small ones.

Then he said he throw in a few freebies of unknows drosera's and other things. He said he sent an utricularia, there was a little green thing which might be it but I'm not sure. I just planted anything that looked kinda alive.

Link to Post - Back to Top 218.111.30.171 David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #2 on Apr 25, 2007, 8:58am » Zak, can take some pictures and post for us to see? So fun! So many plants!
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist 3sgjeffery
« Reply #3 on Apr 25, 2007, 9:29am »
Yah post us some pictures.

Link to Post - Back to Top 166.121.36.12 zakhren

I'm back!

« Reply #4 on Apr 25, 2007, 11:13am » Haha I'm gonna take pics in a min.

Ok here are the pics!

A large ping, some leaf cuttings, and a rather squashed and probably dying jaumavensis if you can even see it~

A bunch of droseras and possible the utricularia?

2 more droseras. Admirabilis?

2 rather large droseras. Venusta?

For size refferance, the pots they are planted in have a 3 inch diameter.

Congrats Jeff on 250 posts
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2007, 2:05pm by zakhren »Link to Post - Back to Top 218.111.30.171 cactustts
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on Apr 25, 2007, 11:57am » The bunch of grass at the 2nd picture is the utric. Wait, there is a small little VFT in the 3rd picture!
Link to Post - Back to Top 60.50.241.205TS zakhren

I'm back!

« Reply #6 on Apr 25, 2007, 12:38pm » Haha that flytrap is mine. got it from a pot i bought a while ago.

Haha and which bunch of grass? Top one or right?

Oh and btw, is that orangish sand I bought from a nursery ok for carni plant mixes? I need to put sand for the mex pings.
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2007, 12:43pm by zakhren »Link to Post - Back to Top 218.111.30.171 cosmoking

« Reply #7 on Apr 25, 2007, 6:09pm » Yes the large sundews are venusta, although they will nearly double their size by the end of this year.

You identified the ammirabilis correctly aswell.

The Utric is to the right of the D. capensis in the second pic It looks like moss.

Looks like you received everything though, and it looks all healthy, except for the jauamvensis(it was very small to being with though) But all the cuttings should grow very easily and you should get a lot of plants

Link to Post - Back to Top 193.164.126.15 zakhren

I'm back!

« Reply #8 on Apr 25, 2007, 6:12pm » Ah good. I repotted the venusta into their own pots. 3 inch diameter pots. I hope that's enough space for them. Btw I also put that ping cutting in the venusta pot into the mex ping pot. Can't remember why I put it there in the first place haha. I'll be putting the utric into a 3 inch diameter pot as well. Is that enough space? Or needs more? The orange sand I use there seen in the mex ping pot, is that sand suitable?

All I'm growing in direct sun, 7-8 hours a day. 5-6 with rain. Sitting in 1/2 - 1 inch of rain water. Rained today, bad for sun, but plenty of water to go around. With my bucket I got 3 litres hehe.

Oh and those cutting of pings... In my panic I mixed them up! Haha. I can't tell which are which... I got 6 ping leaves. I hope I didn't lose any...
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2007, 6:44pm by zakhren »Link to Post - Back to Top 218.111.30.171 cosmoking

« Reply #9 on Apr 26, 2007, 1:03am » You should try and keep the Pinguicula and Drosera out of the rain: they wont like constant downpours. The Utricularia will probably be fine in the rain, as long as the leaves are not getting damaged by the raindrops.

I sent you arounrd 8-10 cuttings so it looks like you've lost some. Dont worry though, they will take and eventually multiply. Unfortunatly, P. esseriana and jaumavensis are so similar in form that they cant be told apart until you see the flowers, which are also similar but have their differences.

Your pot might be big enough, you'l have to wait and see(Im really bad at visioning how big pots are haha) These two Drosera are not really sensitive to root disturbance and will transplant easily if you do not get any soil on their leaves(in which case you'l have a soil covered Drosera and these leaves probably wont be dewy again as a result, even if you do try and get it off-they will be damaged) They grow quickly though so any old leaves will soon by outshunend by the new ones. This pot size will be OK for the admirabilis, who wont get very big at all.

I dont know the answer to your sand question as I dont know whats in it. If its just orange grains then its probably OK. If its got black grains and other weird coloured grains its probably full of impurities...what they are and what effect they will have on your plant I dont know.

Link to Post - Back to Top 82.32.21.171 zakhren

I'm back!

« Reply #10 on Apr 26, 2007, 3:08am » Its just orange sand. With some big chunks in it but it's still orange inside.

I put a plastic sheet over the cage all my plants are in, it's raining really really heavily now and they only get a light mist~

So what are the differences between the 2? Do they both go pink? Size? There has to be some difference. I hope I didnt lose all the leaves of 1 type... How many esseriana and jaumavensis cuttings? I hope its not like 6 esseriana so i have no jaumavensis...

Link to Post - Back to Top 218.111.30.171 cosmoking

« Reply #11 on Apr 26, 2007, 3:15am » Like I said Ive no idea thats in your sand so I cant give you an answer, sorry.

They are almost the same and they will both stay about the same size when they're adults. I dont think anyone to date could tell between the two without seeing the flowers, so you'l just have to wait.

I know Im always telling you to go on this website but please do You can look them both up and stuff:

www.pinguicula.org