Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2008, 01:03 AM
Administrator

Default ifurita: Highland Nep Project - May '08 Update

ifurita

Highland Nep Project - May '08 Update
« Thread Started on May 18, 2008, 4:18pm »
Here's the latest update on my attempt to grow highlanders in our hot climate. No complicated terrariums, fridges, tanks, etc. Just plain and simple air-con. Once fully adapted to air-con room level humidity, there's no moving of the plants to and fro or rushing to bag them up(I'm too lazy to keep doing that). View the pics at full size to see peristome/pitcher detail

Species:

N. eymae - Less light = Darker peristome, it seems

N. khasiana

N. burbidgeae

N. rajah - Looks happy, but is very cranky about humidity, so still refusing to pitcher.

N. aristolochioides

N. ovata - Also very humidity cranky

N. glabrata

N. lavicola - Older pitchers are purple, this one is a new one.

N. villosa - Its still alive!!! Extremely slow growing though.

Hybrids:
maxima x aristo

sibu x hamata - nice peristome!

mulu x lowii

inermis x bongso - Have you seen a totally black upper before?

talengensis x veitchii

talgensis x mira

ventricosa x(dubia x singalana)

"Lady Pauline" - Really behaves like a lady when it starts to vine: becomes *super* cranky about heat AND humidity

Spectabilis x talengensis - The dark band below peristome seems consistent among all the pitchers

That's it for now! For the more recent additions and those still adapting, check out the next update!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 4:19pm by ifurita »Link to Post - Back to Top Logged plantlover

Now I'm getting more experienced

Re: Highland Nep Project - May '08 Update
« Reply #1 on May 19, 2008, 9:28am »
Wow! A beautiful collection of highlanders!
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedAaron arvin555

« Reply #2 on May 19, 2008, 12:30pm »
Great collection! Big Pitchers! Infurita, may I know when you said you keep them in airconditioned room, I take it in your bedroom? You turn on the airconditioning at night and turn it off in day time?

There is this device being sold here in the Philippines that contains a piezo mister and an electricfan, so that the mist will be blown by the fan and cool the area. Wonder if this will work for you during day time and even at night if your N. Raja wants more humidity. Problem is that it will make your whole room quite humid!

TTFN
Arvin

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged aliamyz

Serious Nepenthes Collecter

« Reply #3 on May 19, 2008, 1:17pm »
Oh my godness ,you're growing N.Villosa, Rajah and even aristolochioides. How lucky but i can't afford for using air-cond every night .You have to check your electric bill.

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedLooking for Nepenthes Hurrelliana and Nepenthes Platychila plantlover

Now I'm getting more experienced

« Reply #4 on May 19, 2008, 6:11pm »
I use air-con every night but can't buy the neps.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedAaron ifurita

« Reply #5 on May 19, 2008, 7:00pm »
Hi Arvin! Yup, am growing all these in my bedroom, they're all sitting on a multi-tier rack near my window. The air-con is only on at night when I'm sleeping, its off during the day, so its only on around 6-8 hours. I started ths project because...well, since I was using air-con every night anyway, I figured I might as well see if any highland stuff could grow using just that level of cooling.

Am not really sure how effective a humidifier type device would be, at least while the air-con is on. I've heard that most such devices don't make that much of a difference, at least not in the context of a whole room(vs a small terrarium). Plus, I don't want another device adding to the electricity bill, haha. That's why I'm not using lights or other stuff.

Aliamyz, the electricity bill isn't too bad, I think using the air-con at night doesn't consume as much power as opposed to its use during the day. Plus, plants or not, the bill would still be the same anyway, so might as well make the most of it, haha.

Plantlover, most of the neps come from BE, with some hybrids from EP. Those from BE were bought as S sized plants, so they were fairly cheap(with the exception of the aristo), not any more expensive than a typical lowland nep from there. I know BE does send to Malaysia, so maybe you can get some with anyone organises a mass order of some sort?

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged arvin555

« Reply #6 on May 19, 2008, 11:24pm »
Ifurita, your system is very interesting because here we also turn on the aircon almost everynight, except during the "cold" months in december and January. No difference with electric bill. Unfortunately my room is located in an area which does not get much sunlight/photoperiod.

Just for experiment, how about figuring out a way to put your Raff in a container or aquarium which you can open the lid in the morning and close at night. At night you just put water in that hopefully will make the container more humid while the aircon still keeping it cool! Then again it's just the Rafs, the others are doing so great! Congratulations again.

TTFN
Arvin

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged ifurita

« Reply #7 on May 19, 2008, 11:53pm »

May 19, 2008, 11:24pm, arvin555 wrote:Ifurita, your system is very interesting because here we also turn on the aircon almost everynight, except during the "cold" months in december and January. No difference with electric bill. Unfortunately my room is located in an area which does not get much sunlight/photoperiod.

Ah, that's what makes my system even more interesting: I may not use lights, but my grow area doesn't get that much light either. It gets morning sun till around noon, then its bright shade for the rest of the day(strangely, its not that cool, the room can get as hot as 35C on hot days). The catch is that...the plants only get sun from the time I wake up and draw the curtains. This means that on some days(like weekends, for example) they don't get sun for more than 1-2hrs. If your room gets either morning or evening sun, that should be enough me thinks...