Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29th June 2008, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Default isaacgoh: How are your highland neps doing?

isaacgoh

How are your highland neps doing?
« Thread Started on Sept 12, 2007, 4:54pm » Dear members,

Seeing more and more highland neps acquired by members here. I would like to know how are your highlands neps doing in our local lowland condition. If you are successful with them, what are your secrets?

I'll start with mine.

1) Ventricosa "black peristome" - not so good, pitchers remain small. Gave me a side shoot early this year. Cannot get bell shaped pitchers, only small pitchers and prone to drying.

2) N. Lowii (bought from Fauzi) - currently doing ok in my terrarium(My experiment). I see new pitchers continue to grow and latest new pitcher just opened about 1" tall. It's greenish and slowly changing to reddish. Other existing pitcher remain fresh and red.

3) N. Rajah (bought from Fauzi) - currently still in the bag with slight opening to keep humidity. Ok last time I checked. Shaded corner of my balcony. All pitchers remain fresh, waiting for a new pitcher to develop to full pitcher. (Come on! please grow)

Rgds,
Isaac
« Last Edit: Sept 12, 2007, 4:58pm by isaacgoh »Link to Post - Back to Top 218.111.224.161 David
Administrator

member is online

Re: How are your highland neps doing?
« Reply #1 on Sept 13, 2007, 9:26am » N. ventricosa
- MT clone
- placed outside apartment window
- Apartment next to FRIM Forest Reserve
- Use to do well - lots of pitchers but faded red colour
- Lately pitcher production lesser and small
- suspect this is due to lack of sun at that location at the moment

N. ventricosa
- MT clone
- placed in garden in Taiping
- healthy and with pitchers

N. ephipita
- Bought from Fauzi / BE clone
- no pitcher
- no growth
- however, plant looks healthy

N. tentaculata
- had it for about 4-5 months
- growing new leaves but no pitchers
- plant look healthy

N. sanguinea (purple)
- from CH
- placed by the window of apartment
- growing leaves / no pitchers

N. sanguinea (purple) + (green)
- from CH
- placed in garden in Taiping
- healthy and pitchering
- however, pitcher small. only abotu 7 cm
« Last Edit: Sept 13, 2007, 9:28am by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist isaacgoh

« Reply #2 on Sept 13, 2007, 1:37pm » Hi David,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm curious how your ephi will grow at your place.

I have just moved the Rajah into my terranium, seems like the highlanders like the humidity in there.

I'll take picture once the Lowii's and Rajah new pitchers open lids.

I tried albomarginata inside the terrarium and it's gives out big pitchers than normal under high humidity. They like it a lot with my observation.

Rgds,
Isaac

Link to Post - Back to Top 218.111.224.161 isaacgoh

« Reply #3 on Sept 30, 2007, 11:21pm » Ok guys/gals,

Time to report on my 2 highlanders.

Lookey here, my Lowii with new pitchers already.

My Rajah already producing pitchers after pitchers.

Another one coming up.

Another budding.

New Leaf and bigger than ever.

Will keep you guys posted next time.

Link to Post - Back to Top 60.54.45.244 hongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #4 on Oct 1, 2007, 6:43am » issac, what's the temperature range experienced by the lowii and the rajah? looks pretty cool with all the water condensation
Link to Post - Back to Top 203.124.2.42looking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

My CP Growlist - updated 27 May '08
isaacgoh

« Reply #5 on Oct 1, 2007, 9:52am »
Quote:issac, what's the temperature range experienced by the lowii and the rajah? looks pretty cool with all the water condensation

When the lights are on, should be around 30C, lights off should be around 27-28C.

Should be almost 100% humidity if not perfect. That's why you see lots of water condensation.

I'm still experimenting having owned these highlanders for almost 1 month already.

Rgds,
Isaac

Link to Post - Back to Top 218.111.224.161 artificialive
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on Oct 1, 2007, 10:02am » Hi Isaac,
Seeing that it seems ur highlanders are happy with a lot of water condensation and 100% humidity, does this proves that highlanders are more resist to root rot? in ur second pic, it seems that the medium is wet.

Link to Post - Back to Top 60.52.175.33[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List] isaacgoh

« Reply #7 on Oct 1, 2007, 10:51am »
Quote:Hi Isaac,
Seeing that it seems ur highlanders are happy with a lot of water condensation and 100% humidity, does this proves that highlanders are more resist to root rot? in ur second pic, it seems that the medium is wet.

Naj,

Not advisable to soak the pot in water. I raised the Rajah pot using a flat rock underneath.

Only Lowii is soaking. From time to time I'll drain the water from this tank.

I understand that you bought the same plants too, how are they doing for you?

Rgds,
Isaac

Link to Post - Back to Top 218.111.224.161 artificialive
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on Oct 1, 2007, 12:51pm » Hi Isaac,
It will be very interesting if u can show ur full setup of the cool terrarium, with the devices u use to cool the temp and create high humidity.
I got an N. Rajah from Fauzi at the Pesta Floria. Didnt treat it with cool temperature. Still in plastic bag with a small opening. I put them among tall grass and ferns to create the 'feel' of a forest. heheh. Dunno whether its working or not, but the plant is growing. Already unfold its first leaf under my care to the fullest, but i doubt the pitcher will form. Will monitor some more and see what i can do in the next couple of weeks/ months

Link to Post - Back to Top 60.52.175.33[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List] isaacgoh

« Reply #9 on Oct 1, 2007, 1:10pm »
Quote:Hi Isaac,
It will be very interesting if u can show ur full setup of the cool terrarium, with the devices u use to cool the temp and create high humidity.

Naj,

Nothing fancy for my setup. It's neither cool nor high tech, sorry to dissappoint you guys.

It's a simple setup which I have posted before. See any gadgets? Nothing have changed other than more plants.

Btw, this tank is fully covered to preserve the humidity. If it's successful for you, remember to tell me that it works.

FYI, since purchasing from Fauzi, my Rajah has produced 2 pitchers from bud for me while Lowii produced 1 from bud with another on the way in the picture above.

If my rajah outgrows this tank, I'm comtemplating a customed made tank just for my Rajah.

Rgds,
Isaac
« Last Edit: Oct 1, 2007, 1:13pm by isaacgoh »Link to Post - Back to Top 218.111.224.161 cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on Oct 3, 2007, 4:10pm » Isaac, so your highland Neps are in 100% humidity and no cooling? That is an interesting way to grow them. If their growth is sustained for the next 4-5 months, you can write a thesis in growing N. rajah and N. lowii in the tropics!

Btw, how large are these two plants?
« Last Edit: Oct 3, 2007, 4:11pm by cindy »Link to Post - Back to Top 165.21.154.116 lisham

« Reply #11 on Oct 3, 2007, 7:27pm » hurm.... did I ever tell you guys/gals that after more than a year not growing, not dying, my n. pilosa turned brown and died....
Link to Post - Back to Top 218.111.203.132 cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on Oct 3, 2007, 7:38pm » Lisham, at least yours took one year. More often than not, my highland plants take 3-6 months to suddenly turn brown and die. But that is because they are left at my balcony with fluctuating humidity and high temperatures
Link to Post - Back to Top 165.21.154.114 lisham

« Reply #13 on Oct 3, 2007, 7:50pm » I'm sorry to hear that cindy.

Ok... that means that we tried our best... But something's better off to be admired in pix on the net or in the pages of books...

Link to Post - Back to Top 218.111.1.79 cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on Oct 3, 2007, 7:56pm » I've paid my school fees. Either send the plants to CP heaven or get a cooling set-up.
Link to Post - Back to Top 165.21.154.109 isaacgoh

« Reply #15 on Oct 3, 2007, 8:07pm »
Quote:Isaac, so your highland Neps are in 100% humidity and no cooling? That is an interesting way to grow them. If their growth is sustained for the next 4-5 months, you can write a thesis in growing N. rajah and N. lowii in the tropics!

Btw, how large are these two plants?

Dear Cindy,

Don't pull my legs lah, I'm just trying to share my joy with everyone.

FYI, my rajah is about 6" in diameter now, growing stronger by the day. While the Lowii is about 4" in diameter (still small). Will take picture of the plants with the tank next week, by then another rajah pitcher should have opened.

Rgds,
Isaac

Link to Post - Back to Top 219.95.222.236 cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on Oct 3, 2007, 8:20pm » Isaac, I wasn't kidding. I am just curious how your tank can be kept cool at 27-28C and 30C with lights on. Is it in an air-con room? What lights do you use? The lights I use brings the temperature up to 33C.
Link to Post - Back to Top 165.21.154.112 isaacgoh

« Reply #17 on Oct 4, 2007, 9:28am »
Quote:Isaac, I wasn't kidding. I am just curious how your tank can be kept cool at 27-28C and 30C with lights on. Is it in an air-con room? What lights do you use? The lights I use brings the temperature up to 33C.

Dear Cindy,

It could well be 33C (lights on) on a hot day too. I'm just taking a wild guess on the temperature. Normally without lights, tanks are usually around 27-28C if the place does not get sunlight.

I'm using PL lights, I believe it's a 24w osram tube (daylight). The tank is less than 1.5 feet wide.

Rgds,
Isaac

Link to Post - Back to Top 218.111.224.161 cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on Oct 4, 2007, 10:22am » Isaac, so your pots stand in an inch of water?

PL lights...I used to have them before I changed to T5s. How far are the lights from the plants? From what I know, 24W osram tube gives out about 1800 lumens. You are using just a single tube?

Link to Post - Back to Top 165.21.154.94 isaacgoh

« Reply #19 on Oct 4, 2007, 10:52am »
Quote:Isaac, so your pots stand in an inch of water?

PL lights...I used to have them before I changed to T5s. How far are the lights from the plants? From what I know, 24W osram tube gives out about 1800 lumens. You are using just a single tube?

Only about 5mm deep.

Rajah's pot is raised up sitting on a flat rock. Only enjoying the humidty while not getting it's feet soaking wet. I will drain the water completely from time to time. The water there is a result of me watering my plants with a spray bottle.

The light(1 single tube of PL with DIY reflector) is just sitting right on top of the tank with a piece of glass. Light is probably just a 5-6inches away from the plants, depending on the height of the plants.

So far, Drosera can't grow in this setup. Neps are doing great though.

Rgds,
Isaac
« Last Edit: Oct 4, 2007, 10:55am by isaacgoh »Link to Post - Back to Top 218.111.224.161