Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2008, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Default Re: artificialive: other medium

artificialive
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

Re: other medium?
« Reply #20 on Aug 14, 2007, 12:55pm » Hi all,
some pics to share.

Heres a pot of gracilis, which i use black gardening soil + sand as the medium. I grow it since it was a cutting. Now it has produce pitchers.

Heres another pot of gracilis, using yelow soil + sand. The plant looks happy to me. heheh

This is the same batch of gracilis i planted using normal soil, but this one is potted on LFS in a thumb pot. Like to see the black roots. heheh

This is a trichocarpa cutting i try to root using burnt soil + sand. It has started to grow new leaves but i think they are too young to produce pitchers yet.

Well, ill be trying to experiment more species to be potted using normal soil. Dont wanna spend much buying LFS and peat moss! (hope so. wish me luck! )

Link to Post - Back to Top 60.52.175.33[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List] tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on Aug 14, 2007, 1:32pm » they look okay Naj but the only way to tell for sure is if they continuously pitcher....all da best ! keep us updated.
Link to Post - Back to Top 211.25.130.42 artificialive

« Reply #22 on Aug 14, 2007, 3:24pm » Hi Tarence,
thanks for the response. Just fyi, both of the pots of the gracilis (pic 1 and pic 2) have pitchers on each of the new leaves well, will monitor the growth in 3-4 months to see any side effects.

Link to Post - Back to Top 60.52.175.33[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List] Robert
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #23 on Sept 13, 2007, 1:55pm » artificialive, in all your case you are using sand-black gardening soil + sand , yelow soil + sand, burnt soil + sand. sand allow for well drain medium and it will work, nothing to worry.
Link to Post - Back to Top 124.82.32.1 artificialive

« Reply #24 on Sept 20, 2007, 3:01am » Hi Robert,
Thanks for ur insights
what about the soil that i use? dont burnt soil, black soil etc contains nutriens?
From my observation, it seems that neps can tolerate with these soils. What do u think?

Link to Post - Back to Top 60.52.175.33[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List] David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #25 on Sept 20, 2007, 9:00am » Heh, heh, answer your question to Robert. Robert's travelling at the moment. He will be back this weekend from Bario (hopefully he has nice nepeenthes pictures to show us).

Among all the carnivorous plants species, nepenthes are more tollerant to slight nutrients in their media. I think it is more applicable for lowlanders too. I am surprise that the black soil you use goes well with the nep. I guess it also depends on where the soil comes from and if fertilisers have been added in it.

But I think it works because you added sand in the media. That dilutes the content of black soil in the media and helps water to flow more freely allowing air to the roots and washing off access nutrients. Just my theory.
« Last Edit: Sept 20, 2007, 9:02am by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist hongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #26 on Sept 20, 2007, 11:31am » i believe neps can tolerate media with nutrients, as in the wild there should be a layer of humus on the surface of the soil in which they grow in. this is perhaps why we can fertilise our neps and not other CPs.
Link to Post - Back to Top 203.124.2.43looking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

My CP Growlist - updated 27 May '08
cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #27 on Sept 20, 2007, 5:18pm » If Neps are grown in black soil, heavy flushing is required. This is done naturally for people who grow their plants outdoors and when the rain comes. When some of the nutrients are washed off by the rain, the Neps get the "idea" that the soil is becoming low in nutrients. Therefore they continue pitchering, if not produce even larger pitchers.

Neps that are sheltered from rain should not be planted directly in such high nutrient soil unless they are hose watered thoroughly once every 4-6 days.

Link to Post - Back to Top 165.21.154.12 Robert
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #28 on Sept 27, 2007, 11:34pm »
Quote:Hi Robert,
Thanks for ur insights
what about the soil that i use? dont burnt soil, black soil etc contains nutriens?
From my observation, it seems that neps can tolerate with these soils. What do u think?

David and cindy had provide the answer you want. If you use burnt soil make sure the pot is flush with water everyday.

Link to Post - Back to Top 124.82.21.71