Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2008, 01:26 AM
Administrator

Default applebee8: Where do you keep your Nepenthes?

applebee8

Where do you keep your Nepenthes?
« Thread Started on Jun 12, 2008, 11:55pm »
Hi CP lovers! Where do you keep your Nepenthes? Can you share some pictures? Do you keep them in greenhouses? Hanging under a tree shade? Out in the sun? What works for you? These information would really help others in getting the rght environment in rearing and propagating these beautiful plants! Thanks!
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged victoria

The ignorance of man stains the land!

Re: Where do you keep your Nepenthes?
« Reply #1 on Jun 13, 2008, 5:56am »
I live on the plains of Kansas in the US and our summers get well above 100 degrees F with winds of 40+ mph (storms usually produce tornados and winds reaching 80+ mph) and our winters get well below -20 degrees F with blizzards. So in order for me to grow any Nepenthes I have to have them indoors. I currently grow them all in a well lit room that has windows on the East and South sides of it. I also supplement the Neps with florescent bulbs (not your typical grow bulbs)....which causes some of them to get sunburnt. I will post some pics later this evening as the camera doesnt take good pics with the sun shining directly in.

I look forward to seeing how others around the world grow their Neps!
Victoria

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows." Epictetus

"We are disturbed not by events, but by the views which we take of them." Epictetus

A person who draws conclusions without having Knowledge is a fool.
Ludwig

« Reply #2 on Jun 13, 2008, 6:27am »

Jun 13, 2008, 5:56am, victoria wrote:I live on the plains of Kansas in the US and our summers get well above 100 degrees F with winds of 40+ mph (storms usually produce tornados and winds reaching 80+ mph) and our winters get well below -20 degrees F with blizzards. So in order for me to grow any Nepenthes I have to have them indoors. I currently grow them all in a well lit room that has windows on the East and South sides of it. I also supplement the Neps with florescent bulbs (not your typical grow bulbs)....which causes some of them to get sunburnt. I will post some pics later this evening as the camera doesnt take good pics with the sun shining directly in.

I look forward to seeing how others around the world grow their Neps!
Victoria

Wow those are some harsh conditions! You'd laugh at us Californians who whine when it gets to 40F or it rains! It's a major news event if it rains here!

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged victoria

The ignorance of man stains the land!

« Reply #3 on Jun 13, 2008, 7:14am »
LOL! You guys definitely have some nice weather but whats the fun of nice weather with no rain? I really enjoy living in Kansas. It has the best of all worlds We get the snow, beautiful springs, heat in the summer and very nice falls.....but none of it lasts long enough to get sick of or to take it for granted. This year has been quite different for us as far as weather. This is already the wettest year since the floods in the early 90's....the last several years we have been in a drought so this wet spring has been really nice (the farmers are lovin it). The tornadoes are out of control though....already this year we have had at least 4 sneak within 5 miles of us.....and thats just that we know of, they pop out of no where and some can suck back up just as quickly.....it is humbling though being able to hear the incredible rumble of their power....there is just no way for someone to know their strength without being within eyes view of one as it rips up everything in its path....

Sorry to have high jacked your post applebee.....

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows." Epictetus

"We are disturbed not by events, but by the views which we take of them." Epictetus

A person who draws conclusions without having Knowledge is a fool.
aliamyz

Serious Nepenthes Collecter

« Reply #4 on Jun 13, 2008, 7:46am »
I hang all my nepenthes in full sun and they are doing well.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedLooking for Nepenthes Hurrelliana and Nepenthes Platychila applebee8

« Reply #5 on Jun 13, 2008, 10:45am »
Wow! Tornadoes can be quite scary and can make you paranoid. I congratulate you for your efforts in growing nepenthes for it takes you more hard work and preparation for the different seasons.

I live in the Philippines and its hot and humid here, we get a little bit of rain in the early afternoons and then after that the sun shines (crazy weather!) thus making it more humid, which the Nepenthes loves. I keep my local varieties hanging under our guava tree which gives them some protection from heavy rains and filters the hot rains of the sun. the others that I'm conditioning are in a netted area which receives morning sun.

Ooops! Sorry mods seemed to have made a wrong post above.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged David
Administrator

« Reply #6 on Jun 13, 2008, 12:40pm »
No problem applebee. I've deleted the double post.

Anyway, I think this is a good thread. Here's how I cultivate my Neps. Since I also live in a tropical climate country, I grow them in the garden and under the porch. They get dappled sunlight in the afternoon and evening. Basically they get the rain and sun. with just a little protection from the porch.

Besides this, I also grow a few at the window of my house. However, these plants here do not grow as big and picthers are also not that big. I grow them together with my Tillandsias, ant plants, staghorn and monstera delicosa at the window. The purpose is to create a higher humidity level around them.

Used to grow my Neps under florencent plant lights. However, the quality of the lighting is not consistent. Therefore, I've discarde that idea for now and will try again once I redo the lighting a little. This time I will use PLL lights. According to our buddies in MAC and a few others here, that's the best lighting for plants.

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist applebee8

« Reply #7 on Jun 14, 2008, 2:38am »
Hi David! In order to grow plants indoors, you should be able to mimic sunlight which has a mixture of UVA and UVB rays. Bulbs that have these are the compact flourescent used in the reptile hobby and planted aquarium hobby, some of these bulbs are also VHO (very high output) and would use electronic ballasts. You could also consider using metal halides, though it consumes more electricity and generates more heat unlike the CF (compact flourescent).