Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Old 19th January 2010, 10:43 PM
Senior Advisor

Default Re: Veitchii Bario (MT)

cj,

i've not been to YG. Have you notice how they water their plants?

In my opinion using sphagnum moss by allowing to dry inbetween watering, which mean watering once in every 3-4 days, but depening on local weather conds and adjust accordingly.

The problem, we tend to water our neps frequently which suffocate the roots. Keep it moist ( not wet) and a loose media.
Old 19th January 2010, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Robert,
I only know YG use over head sprinkler and also collect rain water to supplement the watering. No idea what's the watering frequency but I can tell you when you're inside the nursery, it's cool and surprisingly refresing like you're in open space on a mountain (without the wind of coz), not stuffy at all considering you're in an enclosed area.
Old 19th January 2010, 11:48 PM

I know there is some automated watering system that only water when the pot is starter to dry. Pure sphagnum moss can cause rotting easy, so the secret can be how they watering their plants.
Old 20th January 2010, 11:35 AM

as i have spoken to YG representative earlier, it is confirmed that they grow all their neps in pure sphagnum moss. they also added that, it depends on your growing environment, species and the natural setting of the plants localities however due to tc, clones etc etc, most of the neps L/L, Intermediate and H/L will adapt and do OK to your growing conditions.
as for the watering schedule, it depends on the daily weather and waters only when needed (this is based on their growing condition in CHs and of course they have trained personnel to handle and attending to the nursery whole day/ full shift and not like us, have to work in the office or go to school and left them unattended) sometimes they do not receive sunlight all day long thus watering should be reduced just enough to contain the moisture needed for the plants and humidity plays a MAJOR role in growing our Intermediate and H/L species (depends on the type/species, size and age of the plant) they do not use any supplemental lightings and most important not to water clog your pots!!

p/s; this is based on teleconversation and not being recorded in any form of writing or recording therefore any inaccuracy of data or resulting death on your neps, is purely unintentional and this matter should be treated solely as additional reading materials only.

want to view my growlist? if you can read this, then give it a click https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=3783
Old 22nd January 2010, 02:06 PM
Pioneer

Quote:
Hi
I've just acquired veitchii bario, MT version, from NewTrio. I think they have one more there. Just wondering on how I should treat it? What would be the best media for this guy? It will eventually go into my 4ft terrarium, I guess in a months time.
Hi CJ,
A 4-ft tank seems big, but you will soon run out of space. Veitchii leaves are big. Each leaf can be more than 1 ft long.

Choong
Old 22nd January 2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kltower View Post
Hi CJ,
A 4-ft tank seems big, but you will soon run out of space. Veitchii leaves are big. Each leaf can be more than 1 ft long.

Choong
I am banging on the idea that Veitchii Bario is slower growing. But I guess sooner or later, I'll need to either take it out or upgrade to 6ft.

I plan to confine the roots in pots and hide the pots though. Cutting/trimming would be hard right?

BTW. Thanks for the advice.

Regards
cj
Old 22nd January 2010, 08:51 PM

Nepnut, kinda interested in the overhead sprinkler you are refering to. Would it be like those lawn sprinkler or those misting type. Sprinkler would be too powerful right?

Just an idea, probably misting would be a good thing to have, it acts to do 2 things:-
1) Watering the plants but not too wet
2) Humidity increase to the environment.

If I ever get a chance to go to YG, I'll see this sprinker for sure. ;-)

Regards
cj