Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > Projects

Projects Tips, suggestions and discussion on member's gardening projects

Old 2nd July 2008, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Default caseyhoo: CP garden :p (Read 306 times)

caseyhoo

« Thread Started on 1 Mar, 2008, 8:11 »

I place them ontop of my mailbox. And they receive 4~5hours of direct sunlight. And the environment is quiet hot.... d. burmanii, d. spatulata, d. adelae , flytrap,sara, P. primuliflora love the environment.

I think, 'HOT' kill my d. paradoxa, and going to kill my d. binata. Few days ago, I just added a transpalent plastic on top of the tray and put some thing on top of the plastic. Hope that it will cool down the environment...

Im trying feed by CPs with blood worm. Hope it will help in their growing.
« Last Edit: 1 Mar, 2008, 8:23 by caseyhoo »

Best Regards,
KC Hoo
Wanted List

They are nice : D. aliciae, D. brevicornis, D. derbyensis, D. falconeri, D. lanata, D. villosa, D. lowriei, D. menziesii

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

strath76

heat shouldn't be a problem for binata as long as humidity remains fairly high. I have grown them at temperatures over 40 degrees without any problems. the sarra's should be affected before the binata. What media are you using?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

piscesilim
Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on 1 Mar, 2008, 14:27 »

No. Hot not kill D. paradoxa. But hot give them life!
« Last Edit: 1 Mar, 2008, 14:28 by piscesilim » Link to Post - Back to Top Logged
Lim

caseyhoo
« Reply #3 on 1 Mar, 2008, 14:31 »

then, must be something wrong... May be as what strath76 said, huminity...

Media that I use is spagnum moss...
« Last Edit: 1 Mar, 2008, 14:36 by caseyhoo »

Best Regards,
KC Hoo
Wanted List

They are nice : D. aliciae, D. brevicornis, D. derbyensis, D. falconeri, D. lanata, D. villosa, D. lowriei, D. menziesii

piscesilim
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on 1 Mar, 2008, 14:41 »
They do go dormant but not dying. Some of my D. paradoxa look dying at last raining season. All of them come alive with the present of the hot sun this few weeks. They become more red and bigger.
« Last Edit: 1 Mar, 2008, 14:43 by piscesilim »

Lim

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

strath76

« Reply #5 on 1 Mar, 2008, 16:25 »

Quote:

Media that I use is spagnum moss...

I would try changing binata into a peat based media. I use 50/50 peat sand but the sand could be substituted for perlite, whatever is easier for you to come by. this mix works well for me.

caseyhoo

« Reply #6 on 1 Mar, 2008, 17:37 »
I will do what you told me ASAP. Thanx...

BTW, may i know what if I seldom change water? How frequence I should change water? Thans
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged
Best Regards,
KC Hoo
Wanted List

David
Administrator

« Reply #7 on 1 Mar, 2008, 18:53 »
Hi casey,

I think if you are using filtered water or RO water, you might not need to do it so often. If you are using tap water, you might want to flush the plants and change the water as the tap water in KL has alot of mineral content.

From your picture I can see you have quite a good filter in the background. Should be ok unless you see mineral/calcium (whitish dust) buildup at the sides of the pots and tray.

If you do not change the water that often, look out for mosquito larva. Don't want it to be a breeding ground for adeas mosquitos huh.
« Last Edit: 1 Mar, 2008, 18:55 by David »

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tarence
Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on 3 Mar, 2008, 11:31 »

Casey: i use tap water and change the tray water twice a week when i`m free. at the very least, i change it once a week. it`s more to avoid mosquito larvae from forming as the water still seems to be quite clear if i stretch it to 2 weeks.

one of my d.paradoxa also seems to be going dormant. but amazingly, it`s shooting out a flower stalk. i agree with what Lim says. the current heat is activating this sundew.

i plant my d.binata in LFS and also peat moss around the roots area. Some are grown in pure LFS. to me, the d.binata is not a fussy CP but humidity s/be high.

caseyhoo
« Reply #9 on 3 Mar, 2008, 17:13 »

I keep a female betta in the water tray to control the mosquito larvae problem. And I seldom do water change, roughly 1~2 weeks or may be longer . Everyday, I top up it with overnight tap water...

May I know it will causing any problem?

Best Regards,
KC Hoo
Wanted List

tarence
Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on 3 Mar, 2008, 18:05 »

I would be more comfortable if the pots were flushed out ( pour water into the pots to flush out accumulated minerals ) more often. I`m just wondering why your d.binata & paradoxa isn`t doing well. The sarracenias in the pic look fine though.

caseyhoo

« Reply #11 on 5 Mar, 2008, 0:06 »

I'm not sure too... Those sara is doing really fine.... When Im free, will separate them and setup the others water tray. That time, will have sara, ping, drosera for exchange.

Best Regards,
KC Hoo
Wanted List

caseyhoo

« Reply #12 on 28 May, 2008, 22:03 »
Latest update of my CP garden... I had added 2 tray... So, total is 3 tray...

Old tray which sit ontop of my mail box.

The others 2 that laying inside my fish tank metal rack.

Best Regards,
KC Hoo
Wanted List

edmund83

« Reply #13 on 29 May, 2008, 10:08 »
Casee... nice collection of your CPs ar... great shot...

What is the size of the trail? Can measures for me?
Edmund ^^v
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edmund830808/
~~DrosEra F@n == CepH F@n~~

caseyhoo

« Reply #14 on 29 May, 2008, 10:18 »

Just fyi, I can put 2 tray to my 3ft rack... Will lets you know once I measure it...

CP that I have is those normal sp... Will increase my collection slowly. If im still single, will increase rate will be faster...
« Last Edit: 29 May, 2008, 10:30 by caseyhoo » Link to Post - Back to Top Logged
Best Regards,
KC Hoo
Wanted List

tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on 29 May, 2008, 13:44 »

Casey, got issue with the `live` betta in your water tray..coz the waste product from the betta might fertilise your Cps and the more sensitive ones might be affected.

edmund83
« Reply #16 on 29 May, 2008, 14:23 »

I think he can keep some Pearl Grass (Hemianthus micranthemoides) in the trail as well or some duck weed to absorb those nutrients...
Edmund ^^v
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edmund830808/
~~DrosEra F@n == CepH F@n~~
Old 12th March 2009, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Default Re: caseyhoo: CP garden :p (Read 306 times)

Name:  IMG_1509.JPG
Views: 316
Size:  112.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1521.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  118.1 KB

All about my Carnivorous Plants experience
http://carnivorousplants.wordpress.com

My Grow list
https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=679
Old 9th April 2009, 06:46 PM

Default Re: caseyhoo: CP garden :p (Read 306 times)

Hi. KC Hoo long time didn't went to your place didn't notice now you got lot of CPS. nice set up.. long time no see... just like to say hello to everyone here.