Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd July 2008, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Default acidic055: Help with Drosera Capensis (Read 245 times)

acidic055

Help with Drosera Capensis
« Thread Started on 21 Aug, 2007, 14:57 »Hi, im planting a Drosera Capensis from seeds and i was just wondering, whats the best way to plant them. Also, should i be overhead spraying them with water? Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedzakhren

I'm back!

Re: Help with Drosera Capensis
« Reply #1 on 21 Aug, 2007, 20:15 »I grow mine using the water tray method. I would grow them in at least 4" deep pots sitting in ½-1" of water. Full sun or under plastic/glass. Mine grow in 50:50 peat mosserlite but they could grow in a lot of mixtures, they aren't that picky, but I find sand can get more messy, with a top dressing of sphagnum moss. Without the moss on top the rain splashes the peat onto the leaves and can stunt the growth of the plant or even kill it after a while. But I wouldn't let the rain touch the seedlings until they are at least 2" tall or they could be washed out of the pot. They are real easy to grow and I wouldn't be suprised if every one of the seeds germinate. And once they mature they seed like crazy so you'll be giving them away~ haha. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedhongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #2 on 21 Aug, 2007, 22:59 »acidic055, overhead spraying the Drosera seeds is not a good idea as you might end up burying the seeds and there they'll rot instead of germinating. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

My CP Growlist - updated 27 May '08
acidic055

« Reply #3 on 22 Aug, 2007, 5:14 »Oh no...i hope they havent buried themselves yet. Im hoping not. Although there arent alot of gaps in my medium so hopefully that'll be alright. So no overhead praying thank you zakhren and hongrui, Now ill just sit back and wait for them to grom =P Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on 29 Sept, 2007, 23:55 »I finally managed to propagate d.capensis from leaf cutting. Only 1 plantlet from the whole leaf unlike filiformis or binata where i can get almost 10 per leaf. It took almost 3 weeks to a month for the germination but i`m pleased as plum to report that it worked.

Much faster than from seeds. D.capensis was such a difficult CP to grow for some of us here previously.
« Last Edit: 30 Sept, 2007, 11:31 by tarence »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggednox

« Reply #5 on 30 Sept, 2007, 0:49 »Olá.

I go to give a suggestion for the germination of droseras.

The Droseras capensis grows slowly, but they are resistant plants.

He does not need very well-taken care of, will be born at any cost, here, arrive to germinate in few weeks (the 2 times)

Good culture!

I wait to have helped in something.

I hug
NOX

« Last Edit: 30 Sept, 2007, 0:57 by nox »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedNOX - Francisco Rossa

Esteio - Brasil
tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on 30 Sept, 2007, 11:33 »thx Nox for the info.... Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedhongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #7 on 30 Sept, 2007, 21:10 »
Quote: Much faster than from seeds. D.capensis was such a difficult CP to grow for some of us here previously.

quite a lot of growers from sg to taiwan have problems with this CP weed. D. capensis is from south africa which makes it sub-tropical. it is not exactly suitable for us to grow here in the tropics as it requires cool night temps.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

nox

« Reply #8 on 1 Oct, 2007, 2:26 »hello!

Many capensis people successfully cultivate Droseras in Brazil. In all the regions. Brazil is a tropical country also!

If it will be able to give detailed information to me, I can try to discover some thing that can be harming the culture.

I hug.

NOX
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedNOX - Francisco Rossa

Esteio - Brasil
hongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #9 on 1 Oct, 2007, 6:52 »Hi Nox,

in singapore, our average day time temperatures are about 32-34C, while average night time temperatures are about 28C. Humidity levels range from 60% - 90%.

D. capensis seems not to like these temperature range.

Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

cactustts
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on 1 Oct, 2007, 19:00 »Hi Hongrui,
I used to have a clump of them when my sister bought a pot for me three to four years back from Cameron Highlands. They died slowly one by one to finally remained three or four till now only one left. Haha I think this is the one which is very hardy to our climate. It grow happily now in my garden getting full sun and rain. I have successfully propagated many plantlet from leaf cutting too. The plantlets also growing under the same condition with the mother plant now, I found they growing well. Glad that they acclimatised to our climate.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedTShongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #11 on 1 Oct, 2007, 20:14 »Hi TS, i got a batch of capensis seeds earlier this year, they germinated and so far they're doing pretty well for me. hopefully those that germinated are more heat tolerant. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

cactustts
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on 1 Oct, 2007, 21:51 »Ya, I have some growing from seeds too, hopefully they grow well. Fingers cross. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedTStarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on 2 Oct, 2007, 16:23 »hongrui : your bunch of captivating capensis` look good ( ref to photo in GCS forum)

my single plant is doing everything a sundew should do ( i.e. grow well, flower, have seeds ) for me to be satisfied so i ain`t complaining...but yes, i would like to have my capensis clump in the future. toying with the idea to place some in the office.