Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2008, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Default David: Pygmy Sundew Gemmae

David
Administrator

member is online

Pygmy Sundew Gemmae
« Thread Started on Jan 16, 2007, 2:12pm » Hi members,

It seems that quite a few of you are interested in Sundews (including me ). Check out this nursery...

http://www.triffidnurseries.co.uk/

Go to the SEED section and scroll all the way down. You will find one section call Pygmy Sundew Gemmae.

Only Pygmy Sundews have the ability to produce broad bodies called gemmae when they are in dry dormancy. When the rains returns, these gemmae will be projected into the air and when they land on suitable ground will quickly sprout into the excat replica of the mother plant.

Pygmy Sundews do not need dormancy if we make sure the soil do not dry out.

I've bought some and they arrive a few days ago. These gemmae are the size of a pin head and look like VFT seeds but green in colour.

In just a few days they have sprout and given out roots. Really cool. With seeds you have to wait a few months and not all will germinate. These are almost guaranteed to sprout.

This nursery do not have a minimum order, so you can buy from them. However, note that the gemmae are sold in Pounds Strearling. Each packet cost 2 pounds but there are about 10 gemmae in each packet.
2 pounds is about RM13.00. I think it is ok for about 10 gemmae.

You've got to order within these few months when the mother plants are still in dry dormancy.

Also Pygmy Sundews are really small as the name suggest. So they look nicer when a whole bunch of them are potted together.

« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2007, 2:13pm by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist artificialive
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

Re: Pygmy Sundew Gemmae
« Reply #1 on Jan 16, 2007, 2:29pm » Thanx for the info David. How much is the freight charges? i'm afraid the postage charges is more expensive than the seeds themselves. haha!
Link to Post - Back to Top 58.139.248.124[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List] David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #2 on Jan 16, 2007, 6:13pm »
Quote:Thanx for the info David. How much is the freight charges? i'm afraid the postage charges is more expensive than the seeds themselves. haha!

Naj, these are not seeds. Pygmy Sundews also produces flowers and seeds but these are gemmae. Gemmae and seeds are two different things.

The postage is only 5.90 pounds which is about RM40. I think that's fine. What to do, our Malaysian ringgit is not strong.

If you buy more then it is more worth it.

Ok lets say you buy one packet, ie. RM13.00 plus postage ie. RM40. Total is RM53. You take RM53 divided by 10 plants. That will mean one plant cost approximaley RM5.30. I think that is reasonable and the plant will sprout almost immediately into an adult plant for you.

If you buy 2 packets, each plant will only cost RM3.30
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2007, 6:19pm by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist artificialive
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on Jan 16, 2007, 7:47pm » oowh.. my mistake
Hmm, from the calculation u give.. its quite reasonable. Yup, buy more gemmae is worth for the post charges. Think have to wait for some time to recover my pocket. Haha! I'm targeting to build a terrarium have a 2' x 1' aquarium but no lid. Have to save money to build the light setup

Offtopic:
One more think is that i had registered paypal, but dunno how to put money into the paypal acct. Is there any other way besides using credit cards? i dont find any options on the site

Link to Post - Back to Top 219.95.183.165[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List] David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #4 on Jan 17, 2007, 8:59am » I think once you register with paypal and become a verified member, you don have to put money in. Just start purchasing on the net. When people pay you , then money goes in your account.
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged