Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2008, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Default ericsow: Choose the right light/lamp

ericsow

Choose the right light/lamp
« Thread Started on Aug 28, 2007, 6:27pm » Just want to know about how to choose right light/lamp for CPs.
No matter what type of Bulb or Fluorescent. Always get few choose to pick like below.

Watt:
Color Description:
Color Temp:

Of cause my grandfather always said, most expensive sure the better one. But I hope someone can explain to me about what value of watt, color description and color temp is suitable for indoor plant purpose.

Link to Post - Back to Top 15.211.169.106 zakhren

I'm back!

Re: Choose the right light/lamp
« Reply #1 on Aug 28, 2007, 6:48pm » The ammount of wattage depends on the distance and type of plant it is.
The colour, the best colour for growing plants is 6500K, also known as "Cool White".

Expensive doesn't mean better. The 4 foot tubes are cheaper than 2 foot tubes and cover more area. If you are buying 4 foot tubes, I would suggest you get the 40 watt ones, not the 36 watt, might as well. Just buy froma good brand, doesn't have to be the most pricey.

Link to Post - Back to Top 219.94.60.96 ericsow

« Reply #2 on Aug 29, 2007, 12:06pm » Thx for you info, Zakhren.

How is Compact Fluorescent?
What is Cool daylight for Philip Compact Fluorescent?
Which watts is recommended?

Link to Post - Back to Top 15.211.169.106 caseyhoo

« Reply #3 on Aug 29, 2007, 12:10pm » Im not sure what lighting is suitable for CPs.

But, for my planted tank experience. Im using philips 865 light series for my water plant. Which is 6500K.

Philips 865 series light have many type of tube. FL, PLL, PL-C, PL-S. FL light is not so hot, if compare with PLL, PLC, PLS.

Philips FL
Normal light that we use in our house. That both side is green color.
For 2ft tube (18w), will cost around RM8+-. Others, not sure.
David is using 36w 865 FL light in his camber.
http://petpitcher.proboards61.com/index.....read=1186499342

Philips PL-L
For 36w, 1.5ft long, 865, that will cost RM21 each tube. Others, not sure.
http://www.lighting.philips.com.my/my/en....&basetype=lamps

Philips PL-C
Forget the price

Philips PL-S
Forget the price

Link to Post - Back to Top 218.111.254.117Best Regards,
KC Hoo
Wanted List

They are nice : D. aliciae, D. brevicornis, D. derbyensis, D. falconeri, D. lanata, D. villosa, D. lowriei, D. menziesii
cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on Aug 29, 2007, 4:18pm » This is from my own experience...

The best value for money is the ordinary 4ft flourescent tubes. Either Philips or Osram, 'cos the cheaper made in China ones won't last as long. The light intensity also drops too quickly.

If you want to squeeze in more tubes into a small area, then used T5s which are just narrower flourescent tubes. They are more costly though. High output ones can generate quite a bit of heat too.

Use a mix of cool white and warm white or just daylight tubes.

Compact flourescent tubes like PL lights can generate a substantial amount of heat if they are placed too close to each other. T5s (ordinary and not the high output ones) are cooler.

Watch out for the ballast used as well. Some ballasts are so hot, you can fry an egg on them. The covering of my wire melted on the traditional ballast! E-ballasts for FL and PL are so cool you can hug them to sleep. T5 has an internal ballast on the tube holder.

Link to Post - Back to Top 165.21.154.113 ericsow

« Reply #5 on Aug 29, 2007, 5:15pm » Thank you caseyhoo and cindy,

Another dummy question, does the heat of light is requiring by plant? Or as cool as possible?

Link to Post - Back to Top 15.211.169.106 David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #6 on Aug 29, 2007, 5:31pm » I think in our climate the problem is to cool the set up. Always keep in mind how to cool the set up when planing. It can get quite hot in an enclose area such as a terrarium or small room.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on Aug 29, 2007, 6:39pm » I agree with David. My light set-up is at my balcony and is on the reverse cycle i.e. lights on at night. Two reasons: I am only free to look at the plants at night and my balcony is already very hot during the day. Plus the heat from the light, the plants will get cooked. If you are having them in the house, you'll need the use of fans for cooling.
Link to Post - Back to Top 165.21.154.112 ericsow

« Reply #8 on Aug 30, 2007, 4:07pm » Currently my nepenthe are happy with the windows light at my apartment. But my sundew (tarence pet) and VTF not quite good as LOOK not healthy. That why I am looking Indoor plant grower light to excite them.

I am thinking to use Philip Compact Fluorescent 15 Watt Cool daylight to spot them. and now still finding round light reflector for it. Any suggestion?

Link to Post - Back to Top 15.211.169.106 caseyhoo

« Reply #9 on Aug 31, 2007, 12:49pm »
Quote:Currently my nepenthe are happy with the windows light at my apartment. But my sundew (tarence pet) and VTF not quite good as LOOK not healthy. That why I am looking Indoor plant grower light to excite them.

I am thinking to use Philip Compact Fluorescent 15 Watt Cool daylight to spot them. and now still finding round light reflector for it. Any suggestion?

Most of electronic shop selling those reflector, bu, normally is 4ft long. You can cut it to the size you want. Some LFS also selling it, but, more expensive. For electronic shop, you can try it at Jalan Pasar.

Link to Post - Back to Top 219.95.252.97Best Regards,
KC Hoo
Wanted List

They are nice : D. aliciae, D. brevicornis, D. derbyensis, D. falconeri, D. lanata, D. villosa, D. lowriei, D. menziesii
ericsow

« Reply #10 on Sept 3, 2007, 5:33pm » While searching on net, found this website LED grower light for CPs.
http://www.phantomplants.com/515.html

This is interesting but the price quite expensive. I can see they are using red and blue LED bulb, refer to http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...0/bot00080.htm I think it is workable.

Next round I will try make this LED grower light and TRY.