Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes > Nepenthes Propagation

Nepenthes Propagation Projects, information and discussion on propagating Picther Plants

Old 6th November 2009, 09:26 PM

Default Nepenthes cuttings.

Hi

For Nepenthes cuttings with 3 nodes, would it be a good idea to have two nodes below the ground and only one node just above ground level? For the nodes below the ground I would cut the leaves of and also slice some of the outer tissue off the stem. I thought if only one node is above the ground the plants would be more compact above the ground.

Also, would it be a good idea to soak the cuttings in a 10% bleach solution for about 10 minutes to sterilize them? I read this suggestion for Nepenthes and other cuttings. After they are soaked in the bleach solution they could then be soaked in water for a couple of minutes. Perhaps there are other chemicals that are better and safer to use then bleach. Do you know of any that are affordable or mix well with water?

Your help is appreciated
Regards Richard.
Old 7th November 2009, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Nepenthes cuttings.

Unless it's a rare cutting then you can try all the method you've mentioned.For normal cuttings,you can just put them in water for a week or two and then plant it in the medium.

I use this method and it seems to work.Cutting the outer layer of the part will encourage to root fast.
Old 7th November 2009, 06:42 PM
Global Moderator

Sounds reasonable. I think they'll thrive. you can just dip the cut ends with fungicide, no need to soak the whole cutting in bleach..
Old 8th November 2009, 10:39 AM
Administrator

I would think that it is better to have only one node of the cutting in the media. I have tried placing the cuttings deeper in the media when I root them and realised later that the second node have gave out an offshoot in the media and the poor think is all twisted as it could not push out through the media.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 8th November 2009, 08:48 PM
Senior Advisor

David, I tend to agree...and disagree! I've had that problem too, but I also have a lot of multi-node 'cutting' plants that sprouted only way up high and they always look top-heavy until the next transplanting when I bury them deeper. I haven't really noticed if the rooting rate is higher or lower when I use longer cuttings, has anyone else?
Old 8th November 2009, 09:47 PM

Hi

When there is a very short distance between nodes, the only node below the soil may only be about an inch below the surface. Should that be all right or if nodes are very close together would it be better to have two nodes below the soil?

On another note, has anyone found that honey is good to strike Nepenthes cuttings? I asked about this a while back.

Your help is appreciated
Regards Richard.