Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2008, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Default tarence: Neps Sanctuary project

tarence
Global Moderator

Neps Sanctuary project
« Thread Started on Sept 11, 2007, 12:29pm » There was a suggestion on what to do with some of the excess neps we get from the seeds given f.o.c here.

Since some of us have successfully germinated more than we can ever hope to cultivate in our own gardens comfortably, it was suggested that we re-plant the excess back into the wild for future generations to enjoy.

I would like folks of similiar minds to suggest ideas on where, how, is it environmental damage, etc etc.

I do not however want folks who are business minded & want to make $$$ out of it. I do not want it to be an open area where all & sundry can go & pluck & plunder.

This is giving back to nature & it must be a safe haven for the nepenthes to thrive & be happy.

Imagine with me for a moment if you could :

You enter the garden & it`s full of all sorts of neps like rafflesiana, albo, ampullaria, bicals, truncata, mirabilis etc....all growing together in ONE location without any worries or threats.

I know of a person who shares similiar ideas on the conservation of rare plants for the future & perhaps I could map out with him on the feasibility of this idea.

As for now, it`s an idea shared to the forum members to think about.

« Last Edit: Sept 11, 2007, 1:17pm by tarence »Link to Post - Back to Top 211.25.130.42 artificialive
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

Re: Neps Sanctuary project
« Reply #1 on Sept 11, 2007, 3:54pm » Hey Tarence, this is a brilliant idea
but the problem is that, how are we going to be sure that there will be no-one will pluck and plunder them..? is there such place besides Taman Negara or other conservation places? I really hope there is..
I'm totally with u about this idea, bro

Link to Post - Back to Top 58.139.248.124[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List] atmccmn
Advisor - Tillandsia

« Reply #2 on Sept 11, 2007, 4:07pm » How about a land at 1300m above sea level wt average daily tempt. of 24'C and night temperature of 18'C and below. Whole area are covered with sphagnum moss and at crosswind areas.....???
Is it ideal????

Link to Post - Back to Top 60.49.95.186 tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on Sept 11, 2007, 4:38pm » andy : that sounds like some hill or mountain in penang ?

naj: it`s rozzan`s idea actually, i`m posting it coz i like it. more like food for thot for us. well, like i said, i know someone who owns a piece of land up north & wants to populate it with rare plants including neps so perhaps i should pursue him single-mindedly. or perhaps anyone else who wants to donate some suitable non-fertile land which is useless for crops cultivation ?

imagine, our own nep sanctuary. can build a chalet or 2 there to overnite & enjoy the plants. *wink*

thx for the feedback guys...

David, Robert, Isaac, Cindy, TS & the rest : what say you ? i know there are a lot of hurdles to overcome, but i`m just mooting the idea & hoping it`ll somehow catch fire.
« Last Edit: Sept 11, 2007, 4:46pm by tarence »Link to Post - Back to Top 211.25.130.42 lisham

« Reply #4 on Sept 11, 2007, 6:48pm » i think there's a lot for lease on top of Gunung Raya in langkawi.... want me to ask? « Last Edit: Sept 11, 2007, 6:49pm by lisham »Link to Post - Back to Top 60.50.11.8 tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on Sept 11, 2007, 7:13pm » errr, thx Lisham, but who`s going to climb up there to take care of the neps ? anyways, we are talking about a project with zero budget.
Link to Post - Back to Top 211.25.130.42 funkychips

Nep and Till fan

« Reply #6 on Sept 11, 2007, 8:27pm » well, IMO an open spaced sanctuary anywhere close to the urban jungle might end up as a pluck and plunder failure for all I expect.
Some hill resorts will be better, not to the extent of having to trek the trails to get there, just easily accessible for maintenance and recreation.
and best to avoid areas susceptible to forest fires, natural or caused by human. otherwise we'll all have roasted neps for eye candy
If this works out, it'll be a CP lover's dream come true...

Link to Post - Back to Top 219.95.128.191 atmccmn
Advisor - Tillandsia

« Reply #7 on Sept 11, 2007, 10:31pm » Tarence,

What I'm talking about is not in Penang Island. FYI Penang Hill is only 750 M above sea level. That one is way a lot higher. If u guys are serious. I voice it out to relevant party. To me, that place is heaven!!

Think about it.

And albomarginata are abundant there! I'll get some photos out soon.
Not forgetting there's a river flowing downstream forming a wonderful waterfall.

Link to Post - Back to Top 60.50.20.120 atmccmn
Advisor - Tillandsia

« Reply #8 on Sept 11, 2007, 10:54pm » Here's the path leading to the place.

Nep. albomarginata at the mountain slope.

Closer view.

Other epiphytic plants

Link to Post - Back to Top 60.50.20.120 piscesilim
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on Sept 11, 2007, 11:15pm » Hmm... The place look familiar. I think I know where is it.
Check my trip in chinese forum. Is it the same place?
http://chinese.cari.com.my/myforum/v...782&highlight=

But guys... What I am concern about is...

If we really grow the exotic Nepenthes which are not belongs to there in that place. Would those exotic Nepenthes affect the population of the flora or fauna there? I am afraid it will create a lot of hybrid between N. albomarginata. The place supposed to have N. albomarginata only.

Hmm... Just my two cents.
« Last Edit: Sept 11, 2007, 11:19pm by piscesilim »Link to Post - Back to Top 60.49.89.106Lim David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #10 on Sept 12, 2007, 12:00am » I think that for this to work it has to be in a forest reserve, but at the same time like what piceslim says, we need to also see the ecological effect it has on the current flora and fauna at that location.

The other only option is to grow it in a private property, a garden or park of some sort that is gated. That way poachers will not be able to rob the land of the plants and there would not be any disturbance to the fragile ecosystem/flora/fauna there.

I think this is a good idea that we need to think though more. it can be done and would be a haven for neps and heaven for enthusiats.
« Last Edit: Sept 12, 2007, 12:10am by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist stefan

« Reply #11 on Sept 12, 2007, 12:26am » I think what you guys are doing is great, Im fully behind it, but I dont think we could over here

Private property I think is the best option, like David said

Link to Post - Back to Top 82.44.97.133 cactustts
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on Sept 12, 2007, 12:50am » I fully support your suggestion (or Rozzan's), Tarence. But please take ecosystem into consideration. Invader may destroy the balance of the fauna & floral. All different species grow at the same spot may also create complex hybrids which we may not able/possible to identify them in the future.
Link to Post - Back to Top 60.49.111.197TS piscesilim
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on Sept 12, 2007, 1:09am » If we really want to give back the Nepenthes to nature. Then the Nepenthes should be the native species. For example, N. benstonei is origins from Bukit Bakar. Then, we only can give them back to that location. Not other places. If not, we will create a lot of problems for the researcher which is study the distribution and population of local Nepenthes.

But if we keep all the Nepenthes in private property, then it would be ok. Just like Penang butterfly farm. Got a lot of Nepenthes inside
« Last Edit: Sept 12, 2007, 11:31am by piscesilim »Link to Post - Back to Top 60.49.89.106Lim tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on Sept 12, 2007, 9:10am » thx guys....like i said in my first post.....environmental damage or species intrusion was one of my worries if the plot of land is in the open, a private land would be ideal......

planting specific variety in specific locaton would be indeed true to the idea of giving back to nature but that would cause logistic problems for those who are managing the so-called `project` as we can`t be going to various spots in the country to check on the plants etc etc often.

the idea was to have a plot of land where ALL or as many as possible of the various ( mainly lowland or intermediate ) neps could be grown together.

perhaps if they flower, the flowers could be snipped off to control hyper-complex hybrid....but aren`t complex hybrids already happening in the wild ? just a thot tho....

yes Andy, plse ask for me about the place but if it`s more than a 100km away from KL, it might not be feasible for us to travel that far. personally, if it does materialise, i would want to be directly involved in the actual care, control & cultivation of the neps there.
« Last Edit: Sept 12, 2007, 1:38pm by tarence »Link to Post - Back to Top 211.25.130.42 piscesilim
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on Sept 12, 2007, 11:53am » Yes. Some hybrids do exist in the wild. But they are only the hybrids between the native species. Hybrids between native and exotic species will create a lot of problems for taxonomic works.

Link to Post - Back to Top 60.48.50.114Lim lisham

« Reply #16 on Sept 12, 2007, 1:09pm » why not invest some money to generate back some money? Imagine a CP park... As for fear of hybridising plants... We control what to breed and what not to breed.... We snip snip off the flowers etc.
Link to Post - Back to Top 60.51.162.113 atmccmn
Advisor - Tillandsia

« Reply #17 on Sept 12, 2007, 1:14pm » That's why we need taxonomist!!! And that's why botany is important!. In fact a lot of hybrids have been created by us humans until some are beyond reconition. All these happened when they have comercial value for exploitation.

Btw......I think we are way off topic. What Tarence meant was planting those access plant in the wild as to give it a chance to survive. Will they survive through and reproduce is another complex issue. Or rather why not just donate those acess plant to any other herbarium or botanic garden for conservation.

Link to Post - Back to Top 60.48.50.224 tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on Sept 12, 2007, 1:45pm » Yeah, if we can`t find any land, perhaps effort could be made to approach some local botanic gardens although i shudder a bit at the care which the plants may receive in their hands. you know lah what I mean Andy....

lack of funds = low quality workers = cincai work=plants neglected. sometimes even water also not given to the poor things.

i guess we have to really scrutinise the herbarium/ botanic garden first before making any plant donations. thx Andy, good input.

Link to Post - Back to Top 211.25.130.42 isaacgoh

« Reply #19 on Sept 12, 2007, 2:22pm » I know Zoo Negara got one team of people saving and collecting cryptocoryne over all the country and planting them inside Zoo compound (with help from MAC members).

Does FRIM have a nep garden? Since Siti is here, why not we explore letting the experts keep it. Giving back for a good cause what we contributed indirectly to plunder.

Rgds,
Isaac

Link to Post - Back to Top 218.111.224.161Page 1 of 2 » Jump