Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Old 16th October 2008, 09:23 AM

Default Re: My Propagation Chamber

Cindy,

It's true, the N. madagascariensis lost a good portion of its roots and the remaining root mass was probably burned by salts from the 25% coral that was in the media....I won't be using that brand of coral again for any of my Neps, even though I soaked it for about two weeks. And it probably is a little more wet than it would prefer at the moment, as it is in pure LFS in my terrarium until it reestablishes its roots and makes some shoots.

Oh, and that red substance is lava....Not quite like your burnt clay. What I wouldn't do to get a hold of some of that stuff! It seems like the cure-all media for all your difficult lowlanders!
Old 16th October 2008, 05:19 PM
Advisor

Default Re: My Propagation Chamber

Hi Jimmy,

Lava rock would be fine for N. madagariensis, to loosen up the media and to improve drainage. But since you are trying to root the plant, then live sphagnum moss would be great.