Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Old 15th October 2008, 10:53 AM

Default My Propagation Chamber

Hello,
I'd like to share my setup for my propagation chamber - a ten-gallon terrarium that I use to raise CPs from seed and give some plants some extra TLC. These are pics from awhile ago - see next posts for more recent pics!
The whole setup:

Some Nep seedlings:

Some Sundews and live shagnum:

Sundew seed tray:

And a few closeups on my D. ordensis seedlings:

Jimmy
Old 15th October 2008, 10:56 AM

Default Re: My Propagation Chamber

Here is my terrarium now. Overview:

Old 15th October 2008, 10:57 AM

Two N. northianas. One arrived pretty beat up, and a replacement was shipped to me.

Byblis and N. albomarginata seeds:

Another pic of my N. splendiana x ((veitchii x maxima) x veitchii) seedlings. More seem to pop up every week!

And a different pot of the same; it's been moved everywhere, from the terrarium to a windowsill to outside. Now it's back in the terrarium.

An experiment: three pots of N. splendiana x (Rokko x stenophylla) seeds in different medias.

More N. albo seeds:

A troublesome N. rafflesiana:

A recovering N. madagascariensis:

D. ordensis macros:

Algae problem...

Jimmy
Old 15th October 2008, 11:10 AM

That's a nice collection of seedlings you have. How well did your nepenthes seedlings grow on your windowsill? I just wanted to ask since I've never had any success with nepenthes seed. (And I might try it again when I have some extra $)
Old 15th October 2008, 11:32 AM

On the windowsill, I got only a few germinations (only the ones you see there - none died outside, they are pretty tough little guys) for roughly the same amount of seeds that are in the brown pot in the terrarium. Therefore, I would recommend that you try a very good-quality sphagnum as media, and get a terrarium or similar setup. It just makes everything so much easier and better.

What methods did you use with your failed Nep seeds? It might be that they rotted or got attacked by fungus...
Old 15th October 2008, 11:54 AM

I tried growing some ampullaria seeds(from David) in some little plastic pots(1 inch size, so cute!), but I used coconut husk and peat, and a 1:1 mix of peat and perlite. Most of them either dried out or molded. If I do decide to start some new seed, I'm going to grow them on LFS in glass bottles on my windowsill. The glass bottles "mini-terarrium thing has worked well for me. I've got some capensis and burmanii seeds growing in the bottles, as well as live sphagnum, sarracenia seedlings, and some D. prolifera cuttings. The only thing is that I think I should try highland seeds, as I think they'll do better than the amps I tried.