Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > Projects

Projects Tips, suggestions and discussion on member's gardening projects

Old 3rd July 2008, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Default acidic055: Suitable "Terrarium" (Read 263 times)

acidic055

Suitable "Terrarium"
« Thread Started on 20 Aug, 2007, 20:00 »I know this isnt a perfect terrarium or even a terrarium at all, but thats why im here . I need your help to tell me how i can improve this "house" to make it better for my plants to grow in there. I live in Australia and i'm growing my plants indoors. My biggest concern is the humidity level. I have cling wrap and foil around the house and a tray of water and pebbles underneath it. I know it looks shabby but ill be building a proper one real soon.

Any suggestions to make it better?

Also this half a bottle over my pot is meant to be a "Propagation chamber" it has holes in the top for air. would this work to increase humidity?
« Last Edit: 21 Aug, 2007, 23:47 by cactustts »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedartificialive
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

Re: Suitable "Terrarium"
« Reply #1 on 20 Aug, 2007, 21:50 »Hi acidic,
firstly welcome to Malaysia's CP forum hope u'll enjoy ur stay here.

Im not expert in terrarium or even in-house CPs, so i could not comment much. I think u need to look on some air circulation and heat issues, especially if u are using magnetic ballast for ur light.

Yup, ur half bottle chamber will increase humidity. It decreases the chances of water from ur pot to evaporate into the air.
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]acidic055

« Reply #2 on 21 Aug, 2007, 5:08 »thank you very much artificialive, so the bottle will help with humidity? Great . With the house, theres like 5 cm gaps at the top where air can get in. i Think thats enough? Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #3 on 21 Aug, 2007, 15:47 »I think the environment in the growing area should be humid enough since it is covered up. Good idea using the reflective alluminium foil to wrap around the growing are. It will really increase the light intensity on the plants.

What kind of lighting are you using? Are the lightings in the grow area?

If you want it to look better and not so shabby as you've mentioned you could get a fish tank. Place it on the side with the opening facing you. The lightings can go on top of the tank and the alluminium can be wrap around the tank. You can get another piece of glass to cover the front or make a alluminium cover to cover the tank so that it is humid in the tank.
« Last Edit: 21 Aug, 2007, 15:49 by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistacidic055

« Reply #4 on 21 Aug, 2007, 15:52 »Im using a florescent light that is equivalent to 75W i think. it doesnt seem to produce much radiant heat, so thats a good thing. and yes its inside the growing area. Im gonna build a new house out of wood soon i think tomorow actually and im gonna try and give it the same feel i guess and ill have a long fluro shining down. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #5 on 21 Aug, 2007, 16:02 »Your set up sounds good to me. Keep us updated on your progress ok. By the way, maybe you might want to increase a few more florencent tubes to make it at least 120W-150W. I realise you have VFTs too. They may need the extra light to grow well. Cheers Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistacidic055

« Reply #6 on 21 Aug, 2007, 16:28 »Oh okay, ill have more lights when i build my house ^_^ thank you for that. I shall keep you updated. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedacidic055

« Reply #7 on 22 Aug, 2007, 20:47 »Yay iv'e finished my new house ofr my plants, which soon there will be more of ^_^. Would you make any suggestions to improve on it? Cling wrap around it again etc...?
With Flash
Without Flash
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #8 on 23 Aug, 2007, 13:48 »Did you just built the whole wooden structure yourself? Nice work!Since it is not in a tank, I don know if the heat from the lighting is enough to bring the temperature up a little for the plants. Anyhow just monitor the whoel growing area for a while first and see how.

Another suggestion if I may? Would be good if you can place reflective materials at the left and right side of the growing area and the back to reflect light back on the plants. It will also increase humidity and the heat alittle. Maybe can just install on the wooden frame.

If you're looking for a cheap solution, you can use those white polysterine sheet about an inche thick. Cut them to size and use double sided tape to tape them to the frame. If you want something better and more effective, install mirrors at the side and back with the reflective part facing in. It will also look real grand... just a thought.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistacidic055

« Reply #9 on 23 Aug, 2007, 19:39 »Yea, i built the whole thing in wood works at school. It took me 2 periods and a lunchtime =P. i think i will take your advice well into consideration ^_^, so will putting foil around it work just the same as putting cling wrap around it? Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #10 on 23 Aug, 2007, 22:26 »Actually, any material will do as long as it reflects light back on the plants. Those were just my suggestions and what I've used before. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistacidic055

« Reply #11 on 24 Aug, 2007, 17:01 »Oh awesome, well i have bought a plastic with fish patterns on them ^_^. only because they didnt have clear, so ill wrap that around the outside and i might cover some of that in foil maybe. Thx for tips!

Here aRe some photos:

« Last Edit: 24 Aug, 2007, 18:49 by acidic055 »