Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23rd October 2008, 05:28 AM

Default FoxFarm organic fertilizers.

I have been doing a lot of reading about nepenthes and fertilizer. Stuff thrown into the pitchers, foliar feeding, feeding the roots... chemical fertilizers, organic fertilizers, superthrive, epson salt, and complex mixes of all of the above.
Many have reported great results with certain formulas, and this is good to know. However, I cant find any of these ingredients here in Panama. The only thing I can find that come close to anything is MirAcid, and although said to be safe by many, most of the info I have gathered on this product for use on Nepenthes has been negative.
A long time ago I picked up a bottle of superthrive at a garden center in Panama City, I used it regularly with every watering with good results I believe (although I cant really tell hehe) and I have recently ran out and cant find it anymore. Even though my plants are grown outside, I feed pitchers every once in a while with pet store canned grasshoppers, but I really cant tell the results from this either.
I guess you see where I am going. I wanted to experiment with fertilizers, I would like to visibly be able to tell that my plants are getting good nourishment due to bigger sturdier growth and larger pitchers. I have some repeated plants that I can spare for this exp. (painfully but no worries) so I wanted to know what everybody here, especially some of the more experienced growers think about FoxFarm organic ferts. I have a friend that swears by these for his vegetable farm, and he could make them available for me. Here are the details:

Fox Farm Grow Big 6-4-4 Nutrient Quart

• Organic Based 6-4-4 Grow Big is a comprehensive blend of major, minor and micro nutrients
• Formulated to promote spectacular vegetative growth in soil based plants
• Produces instant green-up, larger flowers and color intense blossoms
• Great for roses, tomatoes, veggies, flowers, fruits, herbs, and lawns
• Extra strong, a little goes a long way
• TOTAL Nitrogen (N)6.0%: 1.5% Ammoniacal Nitrogen, 2.0% Nitrate Nitrogen and 8.5% Urea Nitrogen
• AVAILABLE PHOSPHATE (P205) 4.0%
• SOLUBLE POTASH (K20) 4.0%
• Derived from: Ammonium Sulfate, Ammonium Phosphate, Urea, Blood Meal, Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Sulfate, Earthworm Castings, Norwegian Kelp, iron EDTA, zinc EDTA, manganese EDTA, copper EDTA, chelating agent, Disodium Ethylenediamine Tetra Acetate (EDTA), sodium borate, and sodium molybdate

Fox Farm Big Bloom .01-.3-.7 Organic Nutrient Quart

• Fox Farm Big Bloom 100% natural and organic liquid concentrate plant food
• Biological alive formula is an instant plant food
• Dramatically enhances flavor and fragrance
• Promotes strong extra large multiple blooms and will not burn plants
• Can be used in combination with Grow Big liquid plant food
• TOTAL NITROGEN (N) 0.01%: 0.002% Ammoniacal Nitrogen, 0.001% Nitrate Nitrogen, 0.005% Water Soluble Nitrogen, 0.002% Water Insoluble Nitrogen
• AVAILABLE PHOSPHATE (P205).... 0.3%
• SOLUBLE POTASH (K20)................ 0.7%
• Derived from: Earthworm castings, bat and seabird guano, rock phosphate, sulfate of potash magnesia (a mined natural mineral) Norwegian kelp

Fox Farm Tiger Bloom 2-8-4 Organic Nutrient Quart

Fox Farm Tiger Bloom Organic Nutrient Quart
• Fox Farm Tiger Bloom 100% natural and organic based liquid concentrate plant food
• Especially designed for both soil and hydroponic applications
• Ultra-potent, fast acting, high phosphorous fertilizer which stimulates growth and vigor
• Tiger Bloom promotes abundant fruit, flower, and multiple bud set
• Use at the first signs of flowering through harvest
• Formulated with a low pH to maintain stability in storage and keep micro nutrients available.

I was thinking of using a diluted solution of FoxFarm Grow Big. Also, I thought maybe two of these mixed together, perhaps Grow Big and Big Bloom. Perhaps alter them according to flowering maybe? Or maybe to just use one on a regular carefully scheduled basis.

I don't want to give the wrong impression seeming impatient with my plants. It's just that after what I have read about the wonderful results some people have had, and how they swear by their fert regime for their neps, I am now convinced that I have to give this a try and find out for myself.
I guess these FoxFarm products are the closest I can get to quality organic fertilizers without having to order them from online stores. I sure do hope they are nep safe. Grow Big contains urea nitrogen and elements derived from zinc and copper EDTA in minor amounts, which according to literature, are not nep friendly. However, I have done some research on other peoples formulas and found that they contain some of these elements as well yet they still work great for them.
Sorry for the long post, I really appreciate the effort of reading through this, and even more so if anyone can shed some light on these fertilizers.
Later then, hope to get some answers soon.... Thanks!

Grow List